2 comments

Crime Gay Sad

He did it. He actually did it. He jumped off. I didn't think he would actually do it. But he did. What is happening?

I work for the police force in a small town in Oregon, right near a small mountain range. I see this type of thing every once and a while: we get a lead on someone for illegal activities, we chase after them, they find out we are, they try to run away, they take a leap of faith, they escape. But this time it was different. When Sam, the head officer, told me that we had to capture a world-famous spy, I thought it would just be the run-of-the-mill regular spy. But as it turns out, my childhood friend and love of my life (but we don't tell him that) was the world-famous spy. What are the odds?

We were notorious in school for not having a good relationship, as friends, and even as... more than that. After we drifted in junior high, we didn't talk anymore.

He snapped at me, for one last time.

"Listen, C. You're the strong, muscular hockey player, and I'm the small, nerdy ice skater. We are polar opposites. We wouldn't be good together, to be honest." he had said. After I stood there, dumbfounded, he walked away, leaving me clueless and heartbroken.

And that was the last time we had talked. My heart had been shattered into a million little pieces, like glass.

My best friend Nick was the only thing that kept me going after that, honestly. I would go over to his house every single day and just cry. Cry until I couldn't cry anymore. He didn't care. I didn't care. I just wanted Geo back. So much. He was my rock, my everything. But he was gone.

Flash forward to now. Now he's really gone. Forever, this time. I'll never see him again and it's all my fault.

I shouldn't have chased after him like that. I should've just let him get away, but he jumped. Off the cliff, right into the river. I watched him fall. I watched his lifeless body drift off with the current of the endless waters. It crushed me. I drove my police van back to the academy, alone. I could barely see because of the tears blocking my vision, but I managed. Somehow, not known by me, but I managed. As soon as I got back, I collapsed into a pile of despair and sadness and fainted.

When I woke up, I found myself in a hospital bed, with my mother, father, and Nick all around me. I started to panic, but my mother came up to me and comforted me. I started to sob uncontrollably. Nick asked me what had happened on my mission. I couldn't squeak a word out at all. All I could do was cry. I pointed at my parents, and then I pointed to the door. I pointed to Nick, and I pointed to the floor next to me. They understood what I was trying to say.

Once my parents left, I could finally talk. Quietly, I speak a word.

"Nick... It was him..." I said, choking on my sobs.

"Who was what, C? Say something," Nick said.

"It was Geo. He..." and I started to sob again.

He thought for a minute, then he understood.

Nick works at the police force too. We were partners for the longest time until I got promoted, and now we work at different academies. We're still great friends. As I said, he was one of the only ones that was there for me when I and Geo fell off. But he's always been there. He's always known Geo was one of the only people I had ever loved.

"Oh my god, C. What??!" he said unbelievably.

"I watched him... fall. He fell and I watched him float away like some... some lifeless... thing. It didn't look real. I thought it was a diversion or a hallucination of sorts... but it was real..."

We sat there while we both processed the event in our heads.

"I'm so sorry, C."

I smile weakly. He smiles back.

After I was discharged from the hospital, I decided to visit Geo's house. I knew it was going to cause me immense pain, but I wanted to try to cling onto the only thing of him I have left. I stand out front for ten minutes, debating on whether or not to go up to the door. Once I gather up the strength to go up to the door, I knock on the door. It takes a while for anyone to answer the door. But there he was. Standing there in all his beauty.

I stand there, shocked.

"G-Geo?" I say, questionably.

He smiles.

"Hi, C.," he says.

I quickly go in for a hug. I forgot how much he meant to me.

"I... I thought you were dead... I saw you fall... H-How?!"

He laughs. "That wasn't me, silly. It was a dummy."

We're still in the hug, relishing in its warmth. When we let go, we look at each other.

I look into his bright blue eyes. They look like oceans, seas, skies, everything bright and beautiful. I could get lost in them.

He puts my hand on his face.

We stand there until one of us makes the move.

It was so quick, yet so passionate. So fast, yet it told a thousand words unspoken.

"I..." I say, dumbfounded and flustered.

He shushes me. I don't say anything.

We stand in this close position for about three minutes, but it felt like a millennium.

I say, "Would you like to go get coffee sometime? I-I figured we need to catch up a bit after that whole fiasco this evening."

"I would love to," he says back, smiling at me.

I smile back. We leave.

I'm so glad to have you back, Geo. Hopefully forever, this time. I don't know what I would do without you.

April 15, 2021 14:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Iris Orona
15:51 May 13, 2021

I LOVED IT! FROM BEGINNING TO END!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nyx :)
18:40 Apr 27, 2021

This is amazing! like daelan banks said, it is very under rated! I very much enjoyed this!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.