THE BEE STING

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Set your story on (or in) a winding river.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama Fantasy Fiction

I am a river in India and come from the snows of the Himalayas. From such a meagre start! And so the sages have rightly said three things not to be asked about: The origin of the river, the past of a saint and the background of a woman. I have flown down eternally undisturbed by thousands bathing in me, humans and beasts drinking from me, ascetics meditating on banks beside me, minstrels singing and dancing in divine ecstasy on the shore, archealogists studying my flow and sampling my water to establish my history, bandits hiding in forests through which I flow, musicians composing music on the river, artists painting the beauty of the scenery of my flow and of course the homeless camping beside me and politicians promising to keep me clean. A bath in the female rivers (gender based names are used to identify the sex) promise removal of evils done by humans. On my way to the sea I go round in bends, over dams, through forests which abound in animal life and of course waterfalls. I have watched the thousands who have taken the ritual bath in me: There are totally naked men and women of God. I have seen ascetics who to emphasize nakedness had attached a tiny bell through the flaccid organ of excretion wildly proclaiming piety.

I will now take you to a river on planet GAIA2 which is earth’s twin though 800 years behind but is evolving.

The ferry was at anchor at the quay in the afternoon. Zeq who operated it was standing at the helm. He was a tall handsome man with a big moustache and large biceps. He stood wearing the dress of the people which is the pareyou covering both men and women waist down. Zeq was waiting for people to take the ferry. There was one man, a shepherd who wanted to reach the next quay. Zeq allowed him to board after collecting the fare. A little later, a woman came and the ferryman asked her ”How’re you Pema? Long time no see.” He knew Pema who was a witch.

She whispered to him “My husband has deserted me. He has been fascinated by Quiky who is only 15. I’ve planned to go and live with my uncle who lives near jack fruit quay 4 stops away. Here take my fare.”

Zeq studied the woman who was about 20 and was quite attractive. She had a good figure and had flowers in the abundant hair on her head. Zeq said “Sit down. I’ll start the boat soon.”

Zeq stood reflecting on his own life: He was brought up an orphan in a child care home. Early in life he had been trained in swimming and operation of river boats and had got the job of running the ferry service on this river. He had now crossed the age 20 and wondered how and when he could settle down.

He saw evening was approaching and finding no other passengers decided to proceed. He went to the quay and undid the ferry’s rope tied to it. He then got into his seat and unfurled the sails. In about 20 minutes he was at quay two and the shepherd got off. Zeq waited a while and finding no more passengers again set off. In just about 3 minutes a large sheet of water descended on the boat. Obviously a flood had started. The boat went like a feather on water and was hammered on the shore. Both Zeq and Pema fell in the water. He was a good swimmer and so was she, but he had to help her from being swept away in the flood. In a short while they lay panting on the bank of the river. Their clothes and other belongings had all been swept away.

He said “What a flood! My ferry is gone.”

“It’s your livelihood. What will you do?”

“The ferry went not because of me but because of the flood. The owner of the ferry service will provide a new ferry. I’ve served him 5 years and he will keep me in service.”

She was now suddenly conscious of her nudity and lay face down. Seeing her predicament Zeq said “Stay here. I’ll go and find some leaves to cover ourselves.” He was back in a few minutes carrying banana leaves and jack fruit tree leaves for cover. That gave them some comfort and confidence.

He asked “What will you do now?”

She said “We’re now somewhere near my uncle’s orchard. We can stay the night there. Then I’ll take you to see my uncle.”

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll get a rescue boat tomorrow.”

“Alright then. Let us walk to uncle’s orchard for the night.”

As they were walking along, an insect perhaps a bee landed on Pema’s shoulder. She tried to swat it, but it flew down and in a moment landed on a high point. When she tried to slap the insect, it bit her on a part which probably appeared to it as a berry. Pema shouted in pain and Zeq investigated. His ministration led to male excitement of which both were conscious. They were now near the storage shed of the orchard and found their way in where the inevitable happened.

She said “Zeq that was a bravo performance. It feels as if I’ve just descended from heaven. My husband could never have done it.” She paused and added “And imagine what will happen between him and Quiky. I can make any male climb walls but not that inexperienced chit of a girl. She will find a way to get out of his clutches.”

In the morning, Pema lay asleep with her leaf guards having fallen away. He sat nearby watching her when she asked “Seen enough? Everything alright?”, as though it was a medical problem.

He looked embarrassed seeing which she said “I don‘t mind! I was only joking.”

She said “Let us go to the quay. I’ll go with you.”

With leaf cover they started walking towards the river bank. Suddenly Pema screamed and pushed him violently back and stood pointing. Zeq saw the baby crocodile which had been coming towards him going back into the water.

He said “Thanks for saving me from that beast.”

As they went and stood on the steps of the quay they sighted a rescue boat. Pareyous were found for them both and the boat sailed. It headed to the quarter where Zeq stayed. He led her in and she found it was a nice cosy place where he had kept everything in order.

He asked “Like my place?”

“Yes indeed.”

“Would you like to move in with me? I hope your husband won’t mind.”

“To hell with him! Don’t remind me of him. I’m already in with you.”

“Then we’ll get married.”

She said “I’m looking forward to it. Can I say it is the river which has brought us together?” She added laughing “No it’s the bee sting!”

They were happy together.

END




June 13, 2021 12:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Abbey Long
10:23 Jun 24, 2021

Overall, I like the story, I think it's a very interesting concept. You need to vary your sentence starters, as you use a lot of 'Zeq' and 'he' to start them off, it would be nice to have some varied sentence openers. Same for adjectives, add in some more interesting adjectives, to really wow the readers. Well done though :)

Reply

14:09 Jun 24, 2021

Many thanks. Regards.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.