4 comments

Happy Romance

“19 orders in the past month,” Laura said to Trevor, the phone balancing on her shoulder while she put cupcakes in the oven. 

“21,” Trevor responded, smirking.

“Damnit,” Laura muttered under her breath. Her goal for the year was to beat Trevor’s bakery, Crumble and Flake, in monthly orders. It was the end of November, and so far it hadn’t happened. 

Laura’s parents had owned The Better Batter Bakery since before Laura was born, and Trevor’s parents had also started a bakery, two blocks down, in the same month. The two shops were natural and fierce rivals. Who could make the most money, who had the better red velvet cupcake, who could bake a pie faster. The list went on and on.

The families were enemies, so naturally, Laura and Trevor were as well. Didn’t matter that they were the same age. Didn’t matter that they had similar interests and personalities. Didn’t matter that they actually got along quite well. They were destined to be rivals, and their families would have nothing else. 

Now Laura and Trevor were in their twenties, and had both taken full time jobs at their families' bakeries. 

“What are you up to this weekend?” Trevor asked casually.

Laura responded, “Nothing much. And you?”

“I’m manning a cupcake station at a holiday festival,” Trevor said. He had only asked Laura about the weekend so that he could brag about his. Why else would he ask? It’s not like he actually cared about her. 

“Cool,” Laura said, but her tone suggested she thought otherwise. 

“Listen Laura,” Trevor said, and lowered his voice. “My parents will never admit it, but we need help for the station. Marcy’s off that day and Albert is working in the shop. Can you help?”

“As if!” Laura said. She would never betray her family like that. 

“Please,” Trevor begged. “You know I wouldn’t ask you if I weren’t desperate. I’ll pay you 100 bucks for the three hour festival.”

“There’s no price for hanging out with you for three hours,” Laura said under her breath. Finally though, she relented and said, “Fine. But for 125.”

“Deal!” Trevor said excitedly. “I’ll pick you up at 9 am on Saturday.” He hung up the phone without as much as a goodbye.  

That Saturday, Laura waited in front of The Better Batter Bakery, shivering in the cheery red dress that Trevor approved for the festival. He was late, it was 9:05.

Finally, the Crumb and Flake truck pulled up to the building. Trevor got out, in a green suit. He looked...amazing. Laura forced that thought out of her head. 

Trevor opened the passenger door for Laura, and she gave him a weird look. 

“What?! Just because I hate you doesn’t mean I’m not going to be a gentleman.”

Laura rolled her eyes. 

The radio was off, and the silence was insufferable, so Laura said, “What’s the flavor for today?”

Trevor brightened. “It’s my own combination actually. A strawberry cake with vanilla frosting, dyed green, and a chocolate mousse filling.”

“Sounds like a Neopolitan to me,” Laura said under her breath.

Trever turned around to glare at her. “It’s original.”

They arrived at the park, where the festival was being held. Some other vendors were starting to set up, and it would be only 45 minutes before everyone else started to arrive. As Laura and Trevor started unloading the car, Trevor whispered to Laura, “By the way, you look amazing.”

Before Laura could question Trevor, he hurried into the park to start setting up. 

You look amazing too Trevor, Laura said in her head. 

A couple hours later, the festival was starting to wind down. Laura and Trevor had been handing out cupcakes like crazy; people couldn’t seem to get enough of Trevor’s “original” creation. 

“Seems like people are hot for this stuff,” Trevor said, gesturing to the cupcakes. There were only about twenty left.  

Laura rolled her eyes. “Oh get over yourself.”

“Hey hey,” Trevor said, and placed a hand on Laura’s arm. “I didn’t mean for it to sound conceited.”

Laura looked up at Trevor. Something passed between them, and Laura said, “Want to get out of here?”

“To where?” Trevor said. It could have been Laura’s imagination, but his tone seemed a little flirtatious. 

“Wherever you want,” Laura responded. 

The cupcake station was littered with wrappers and plates, plus there were still some people milling around, but Trevor grabbed Laura’s hand and they walked across the park to the pond. 

Trevor and Laura sat on a bench while the ducks swam and quacked. 

Trevor was slowly inching closer to Laura, and she didn’t stop him.  

“Do you ever feel like you can’t change destiny?” Trevor said.

Laura looked at him, surprised. Whatever she thought he was going to say, it wasn’t that. “What do you mean?” she asked cautiously. 

“I feel like I have to be a baker, that I have no choice. Do you ever feel like that?”

Laura thought carefully, and saw that Trevor was right. Her parents had never given her a choice, or a chance to dream. It was always bakery bakery bakery.

“Yeah, I feel like that sometimes,” Laura said.

Trevor was quiet for a moment, then he said, “What would you be if you could be anything?”

Right away, Laura said, “A fashion designer. I've always loved clothes and it would be amazing to design my own." Realizing how ridiculous she sounded, Laura quickly said, “I mean it’s never going to happen, but…”

“I think it’s amazing.” Trevor paused. “If every model looks like half as gorgeous as you do right now, it would be a hit.”

Laura sucked in a breath. No one had ever spoken to her like that, and it made her feel like she was on fire.

There was silence, then Trevor said, “I’m so sorry, did I read the situation wrong?”

Laura shook her head furiously. “No, no, I - ”

Laura didn’t know what to say, but Trevor had a solution. He leaned in and kissed her. 

The kiss was sweeter than cupcakes. 

December 11, 2020 16:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

A. S.
23:10 Dec 16, 2020

This was such a sweet story (pun intended)! I really enjoyed the dynamic between your characters. Your descriptions fit really well with your story. Good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amany Sayed
15:29 Dec 15, 2020

Hi Ariel! This was a cool take to the prompt. I love romance, and this was no exception! Your dialogue flowed really nicely, so good job on that. I also ADORED the ending. For your future romances, make sure not to throw it at us that fast. Of course, the prompt is romance, so I know that they're falling in love, but you don't want it to go too fast in the story. You hinted at it, in the beginning, a bit, but you may want to add a lot more detail overall. It just felt kinda rushed at some parts. Don't let that discourage you though! I really...

Reply

Ariel Grossman
18:09 Dec 15, 2020

Hi Amany! Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked the story, and I will definitely apply your critiques to my future writing!

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:28 Dec 15, 2020

My pleasure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.