He came back

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about someone’s first Halloween as a ghost.... view prompt

2 comments

Holiday Urban Fantasy African American

                                  HE CAME BACK

                                 A SHORT STORY

                               BY DEWAIN WILLIAMS

                                   CHAPTER ONE

                                      HE DIED

     It was the day before Halloween. Tommy was eager to go with his mom to purchase a costume for tomorrow night. He wanted to be Batman! The all black costume was intriguing to him. It would fit the circumstances just right he thought. 

     "Mommy, mommy hurry up before its to late! The store will close soon."

     Sarah came walking out her room with car keys in her hand. "Don't rush me boy, Wal-mart stays open late tonight. We have plenty of time."

     This will be Tommy first time participating in Halloween. His mom is a devout Muslim who refused to let her son be apart of such an evil tradition. But recently Sarah changed her mind because her Imam was charged in a terrorist plot and that whole situation weaken her faith. She had much trust in the Imam and couldn't believe he was involved in trying to harm innocent Americans. Beliefs and practices she use to cling to now was diminishing.

     In the car Tommy couldn't stop talking about how happy he was to be able to go out tomorrow night. The anticipation was to much for him. His excitement was a distraction to his mom. "Shut up boy! Be quiet for a minute!" 

     Seconds later Sarah hit another car head on. Both cars was destroyed but somehow Sarah survived. While looking to see if her son was OK she noticed he wasn't moving. "Tommy! Tommy! Are you OK baby!" He didn't respond. After some attempts to check on Tommy Sarah realized the worst. Tommy was dead. 

                                 CHAPTER TWO

                                THE IN-BETWEEN

     "Tommy! Tommy! Please don't die!" Sarah cried as she held her son in her arms. Police men, First responders, and concerned citizens watched the situation. But it was nothing they could do. Shortly after Tommy was pronounced dead.

     "Momma! Momma I'm OK. Momma I can see you." Tommy realized that no one could hear him even though he heard and saw everything around him. After screaming as loud as he could he noticed his body dead on the ground. Tommy was somehow not connected to his body. He didn't understand. How can he see himself? 

     Two Angels and one Jinn approached Tommy. All of them spoke simultaneously. "Come with us." Tommy was taken away faster than the speed of light. Before he knew it he was in front of this big beautiful light. Light upon light! The Light spoke. "Your judgement has come." Tommy was put in line for judgement behind 524,781 other souls. He had exactly twenty four hours before his fate was decided. Tommy wished he could do what he was about to do before he died, celebrate Halloween.

     Tommy was soul number 524,782. Soul number 524,781 notice the eagerness in Tommy and suggested he roam the Earth while waiting for judgement. "Plan on traveling before its your time? Be careful!" Soul number 524,781 explained that he could do three things while roaming and he was forbidden from three things. Tommy could move faster than the speed of light, he could see everyone in real time, and he could go through solid objects with no problem. He was forbidden from eating, talking, and having sex. "These are the rules of the in-between." 

                                CHAPTER THREE

                                 HE CAME BACK

     This was Tommy's first Halloween and he wasn't going to let nothing stop him from it, not even death. He travelled to every city in America. Watching, witnessing, and observing kids during Halloween. He enjoyed being able to see all the kids have fun. Nevertheless he wanted to be alive and having fun just like them.

     In Atlanta he noticed soul number 524,781. What was he doing in Atlanta? Appearing alive and well while having fun going door to door getting candy. Tommy wanted to ask him how did he come back alive. Soul number 524,781 was just in the in-between in front of Tommy. But one of the three forbidden things was no talking during the roaming period. Tommy was confused.

     Tommy cut short his roaming to head back to the in-between to see what was going on. He wanted to be back alive like soul number 524,781. On arrival Tommy realized that soul number 524,780 was in front of him instead of 524,781. Tommy had to ask. "Excuse me, but do you know why soul number 524,781 isnt here. Soul 524,780 pointed to a huge sign to the right that Tommy apparently didn't notice. It read: "If the soul directly behind you decides to roam the Earth during the waiting period then you will be given life again." The next part of the sign was horrible and Tommy couldn't believe what he was reading. It read: "And that roaming soul will be stuck in that day for a thousand years before judgement and hell will be his final place."

     Immediately after reading the sign The Light announced, "soul number 524,782 to your destination." Tommy was stuck in Halloween for a thousand years. Happy to participate at first but now devastated. Tommy couldn't believe he was tricked to roam during the waiting period. And he couldn't believe he came back.

                                 CHAPTER FOUR

                               A THOUSAND YEARS

Tommy's first Halloween was his worst. Something he waited for his whole life but had to enjoy in death. Which turned out to be a disaster. He could only roam on Halloween, no other day, then placed in hell. He hated it. 

Next year Halloween he decided to find soul number 524,781. Tommy found him in New York. 524,781 was dying from the corona virus. Tommy remembered the rules he was told not to break during the roaming period but that didn't apply now. Tommy had sex and she gave birth to a child. Immediately after 524,781 died Tommy killed his child. 

Tommy explained to his child soul why he murdered him and on his plans to get 524,781 back. 524,781 was now soul number 451,890. Tommy's child was 451,889. 

"You should roam the earth and have fun before judgement." 

"I was here before and I know the rules."

"The rules have changed. Look!"

A sign read: "Roaming is permitted during the waiting period."

He immediately went to roam. Upon his return The Light announced, "Soul number 451,890 to your destination."

"But I thought the rules changed."

The sign that read roaming is permitted fell and the sign behind it read: "If the soul directly behind you decides to roam the Earth during the waiting period then you will be given life again. And that roaming soul will be stuck in that day for a thousand years before judgement and hell will be his final place"

Soul 451,890 was devastated. Every Halloween thereafter Tommy visited his child and wife peacefully.

October 30, 2020 16:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Hana Alradai
12:25 Nov 05, 2020

Hello, It is interesting story. It didn't let me feel what the character feel. The description is I think all direct description.

Reply

Dewain Williams
17:54 Nov 05, 2020

Thank you for your input!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.