0 comments

Friendship Coming of Age Contemporary

It was Jade’s first day at a new school and the jitters in her system were amplifying. 

She was walking slowly, stalling time, towards her classroom for she didn’t know how to enter. 

Would she knock? Would she have to wait outside for the teacher to assist her in? Or would she simply sit somewhere at the back and wait for someone to approach her?

Her mom told her that she could always go ask for assistance at the dean’s office. But time was not in her favor any longer. She’s been stalling too much and a trip to the dean’s office would get her late to her first class. She didn’t want a bad record on her first day. So as her feet stopped in front of a door, she took a deep breath and turned the knob.

Jade’s head was bowed low while her arms cradled some books. She quickly looked up to search for a sit. Thankfully, there was an empty seat by the door she just came in. Additionally, it was a seat in the corner, last row. Surely no one would even notice her, right? But boy was she wrong. 

As Jade sat down, heads turned her way. She cursed the screeching noise that the chair made as she pulled in further back. Her eyes roamed the room and noticed at least 20 or so pair of eyes staring at her. Some curious. Some smiling. Some with eyebrows raised, as if judging her. She smiled shyly and whispered a ‘hi’, hoping that her voice was not squeaky sounding or hoarse. 

Bringing her head back down, she stared at her closed book on her table as she fiddled with her fingers under the table. 

“Hi. Are you the new student here?”

A quirky voice made Jade look up. A chubby-cheeked and curly-haired girl with a friendly smile was looking at her, hands outstretched towards her.

“Uhm, yes. Hi. I’m Jade Harris.” Jade awkwardly brought her own hands up, fingers now a little bloody with how she violently fiddled with it.

“Patricia Anderson. Or just Patch.” Patricia reached for Jade’s hand confidently and shook it.

As Patch was about to start a conversation, the door opened and in came their Spanish professor. Jade was surprised that Patch sat beside her.

“So before we begin, let me introduce your new classmate, Ms. Harris? Are you already in?”

The professor looked around and his expectant eyes landed on Jade.

“Yes Ms. Harris. Care to introduce yourself to your friends?” 

‘Friends? What friends?’ Jade thought to herself.

“Sir Davis? Actually Jade has a sore throat today. Maybe she can introduce herself some other time?” Patch spoke up as she raised a hand.

“Oh, in that case then, yes. We hope to hear from Ms. Harris some other day.”

Releasing the breath that she was holding, Jade turned towards Patch and mouthed a ‘thanks’ and a small smile.

“I gotchu.” Patch mouthed back with a wink and giggle.

Two more classes passed by quickly with Patch never leaving Jade’s side. She would always speak up first once a teacher ask for an introduction from Jade. As the bell rang for their lunch, Jade found herself feeling nervous once again. 

Not really expecting to have someone eat with her, Jade had asked her mother instead for a packed meal. She instantly knew where she would seat. Inside one of the restroom cubicles. Luckily there was a restroom just by the end of the hall. 

Jade was packing her things intentionally slow, waiting for the halls to be empty of other students.

“So. We have three cafeterias inside the school. But 2 of them are across the field. The other one, though a little lame with food choices, is just behind this building.”

Preoccupied with packing, Jade did not notice that Patch was waiting for her by the door.

“Oh. I actually have my packed lunch.”

“Cool. We can eat then by the gazebo near the field. It’s breezy there unlike the cafeterias.”

Jade nodded in agreement, still unsure if Patch really meant to join her for lunch. 

As they were walking towards the gazebo, Patch talked non stop. Jade was thankful because she was not yet prepared to really share her story with anyone.

“Also if you were wondering why we rarely transfer rooms or change classmates like any other school, well. Simply because the principal wanted an exclusivity somehow. Or like a camaraderie.”

“I was actually itching to ask you about that.” Jade said as they found empty seats by the gazebo.

“Am I bothering you now?” Patch asked with a pout.

“Wha-? No! Of course not. Far from that, actually. I’m relieved. And surprised.”

Patch looked at Jade curiously, a question in her eyes.

“Well. I wasn’t really…” She was making gestures. Pointing at Patch and then at herself. “I wasn’t expecting anyone to really befriend me. Or simply speak to me. I mean. I’m..I don’t know. A freak.”

“Well. Jade Harris. We’re on the same boat then. People in class just tolerate me because they use me when they need the ‘teacher’s pet’ side of me.” Shrugging, Patch smiled and looked down. 

Jade knew that look so well. The look of someone who wants to just curl in on themselves and hide away from everyone else. 

They ate in silence for the next moments. It wasn’t awkward though. It was a silence that both settled in between them because they needed to calm down and digest the new friendship. As the bell rang the two walked back towards their classrooms. Shoulders bumping once in a while and they would end up laughing. Once, Patch bumped on Jade a little too hard and Jade found herself nearly flying. Touching her chest in mock hurt, Jade made a funny face at Patch. Just a few hours of spending time and just a few words exchanged, yet their friendship felt solid. And it is. It would. 

The two girls just knew that this school year would be different. 

It’s been a week. 

Patch and Jade’s friendship becoming deeper and more personal. Jade finally started opening up as well.

“I transferred because my old school rebuked me as a human being.”

Patch was surprised. How? Why? Jade seemed like the kind of student who would nothing to cause trouble for herself or anyone.

Jade wanted to leave her secret buried. But the level of trust that she has with Patch was just different. So she told her the story of a girl falling in love. 

“What’s so wrong with that? Unless your previous school did not allow anyone to have relationships?”

It was not forbidden in Jade’s school. No one cared as long as you showed up in class and passed your exam. The school could not care less about relationships.

What went wrong though? It was that Jade confessed at the wrong place and at the wrong time. Apparently, also to the wrong person, or so the school made everyone believe it was wrong.

“She. I confessed to a girl.” Jade whispered.

Jade confessed to a girl named Vanessa. Everyone knew Vanessa. She was gorgeous. No, scratch that, She was handsome. Every other boy came in second after her. Almost every other girl in the school had a thing for her. Jade was no different.

“That is one fucked up school. But then again, it’s a catholic school. What can you expect.”

Suddenly Patch had to snap her fingers in front of her new friend. Jade was staring at something - someone - that got her hypnotized somehow.

“Earth to Jade? Hello? Yoohoo?”

“Huh? What?” Jade looked at Patch as if she was caught red-handed.

“Ahah! I knew it. You like Kurt.” 

“Kurt?”

“Yes Kurt. Well, Kirsten, actually. But the school knows her as Kurt.”

Apparently, Kirsten or Kurt would be joining their PE class for this semester. She’s a few subjects late as she had to take a break for whatever reason. 

“What?” Jade asked incredulously as Patch was wiggling her eyebrows at her knowingly.

“She’s not taken, you know. And, though not a freak, most of the people in our class prefers staying civil with her. A bunch of homophobic asses.”

As the two sat on the gym bleachers, Kurt made her way towards them.

“Hey. Uh. Mind if I sit with you guys?” Patch stared at an aghast Jade before letting Kurt sit beside her.

“Is your friend okay?”

“Yes. I’m fine.” Jade breathed out. “We were playing a game. Right Patch?”

“Huh? Oh. Right. The ‘no breathing for a few seconds’ game. Wanna join?”

Kurt laughed at that and spent the rest of the period with them. 

Thankfully, PE class was their last class every Friday. Jade did not need to stay and wait for other people to finish up in the showers. She could just shower back home. 

“Hey. You girls going home?” Kurt approached the two, still a little sweaty from the basketball round they had in class today.

“Oh, no. I mean Jade is. I’ll be staying longer since I’m a member of the student council and sadly all members need to have a meeting every Fridays. So.” Patch turned towards Jade and told her that they’ll see each other on Monday. She left with a wink at Jade. How she badly wanted to throw her shoe at Patch.

Kurt cleared her throat and Jade looked back at her.

“Can I help you, Kurt? I doubt I could help though. I’m just a new student here.”

“Oh no not that. I was going to ask if you wanted to eat before going home? Basketball was tiring. You’d be a superhuman if you’re stomach is not growling like mine.”

It’s growling, alright. Biting even at my stomach. Probably gonna tear skin and come out to eat you.”

Kurt led the way. Though Jade was a little confused as it was not at any of the cafeterias at school. Kurt the curious eyes looking around as they walk.

“There’s this small bakery outside the campus. It’s actually near the train station. So you could easily ride away if you don’t like the food.” Kurt was scratching at her head as Jade laughed.

They arrived at the place and Jade fell in love with the place. It smelled of bitter coffee and a hint of chocolate wafting in the air.

“Any recommendation, Ms. Kirsten?” 

Kurt made a face at her real name being used so formally.

“Well, Ms. Harris. I recommend their cucumber lemon juice for a start. And as for the meal, everything here is just divine.”

The two laughed at the mock formality they had. The bakery was not even a fine-dining kind of place. 

“So actually I wanted to thank you. Well, you and Patch actually.” Kurt started, her arms crossed on the table and her head low. Only her eyes were staring up at Jade as she said this.

“Thanks for?” 

“For being my friends. I know what people say about me. Sadly, they’re all true. But you still let me in any way.”

“Quoting Patch. We’re on the same boat.”

The two continued to talk and without even realizing it, the sun already set. Seeing the panic in Jade’s eyes, Kurt asked Jade if she needed to come home already. With a sheepish smile, Jade nodded and apologized.

“Don’t be sorry. If anything, I should be apologizing for keeping you here. I just really had fun, you know.”

“Me too. But I promise. I’ll make it up. I just wasn’t able to tell my mom I’ll be home late.”

Jade was about to grab her wallet but Kurt has insisted on treating her. A ‘thank you’, she said for becoming her friend. 

The two, while walking towards the train station, found out that they’re practically neighbors. They grew ecstatic at the fact that they just earned an extension of their Friday together. 

“Want me to walk you home? So I could also tell your mom it’s my fault you’re home late.” Kurt asked as they’ve arrived at their stop.

“No, it’s ok. She’s not mad. Actually surprised I have another friend now aside from Patch. Next time though, do come with me. My mom would love to meet you and Patch.”

“Call me then when you’re home, yeah?”

“Of course.” Jade smiled and went her way. Heart pounding loud, she walked faster, scared that her heartbeat might be heard.

As she arrived home, her mom welcomed her with a smile. Glad that her daughter was adjusting fairly well and no longer alone. The rosy cheeks reflect the joy in her eyes. 

The next days were a blur.

Her routine changed. Jade has been spending more time with Kurt even on lunch breaks. She felt this as she rarely sees Patch. Doesn’t even have anyone sit beside her during class. When they cross paths, they would smile at each other and say that they’ll see each other later. But the ‘later’ never came. 

‘Later’ meant Kurt for Jade. ‘Later’ meant eating with a bunch of people she doesn’t really vibe with for Patch.  In just a span of days, everything changed. Even their classmates noticed how the two unexpected soulmates seem like they were strangers already. 

Weeks passed and the ‘later’ was no longer voiced out when Jade and Patch would cross paths. 

Months passed. They don’t even cross paths anymore. Whether intentionally or not, nobody knows. Nobody dared to ask nor bother with.

Years passed and now Jade lost Kurt. What was it with the people she confesses to? Is she that ugly? She doesn’t think so because she clearly heard Kurt’s sister call her pretty when she came over for a movie night.

Maybe she’s just not the person that people would want to keep long term for any kind of relationship. 

It hurt. She hurts. But she knows it was her fault for losing everyone. She knew what to do to keep at least one but chose to be selfish.

Graduation came. Another loss. 

Jade’s mom was the only thing she’s treasuring. But now even she was gone. It took her about a year to be able to actually stand back up and find a job. She knew she needed to find one already. Her aunt was giving birth anytime soon and she’s no longer a kid that can still be dependable on adults. 

So here she was, all dolled up and waiting for her name to be called for the interview. Her fingers were already full of red marks from her fidgeting with them.

“Hi. Are you the new applicant here?”

A familiar voice greeted and Jade stopped. Looking up she saw a chubby-cheeked and curly-haired girl with a friendly smile was looking at her, hands outstretched towards her. Her blood ran cold out of guilt. 

“Patch. I mean. Hi. Yes. I’m Jade Harris.”

“Come in. And also don’t forget,” Jade was surprised as Patch bumped against her shoulder with a smile. “I gotchu.”

February 14, 2021 14:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.