A Quilters Secret

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story about a meeting of a secret society.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

Muriel stood in front of the cereal display at Briarwood Grocers. As she scanned the boxes movement to her right caught her eye, she felt rather than saw the person, but she didn’t mistake the slight nudge she felt on her elbow. Muriel gave such a small nod of acknowledgment when a note was surreptitious slid into her hand that anyone near her would have missed it. A tingle of excitement ran down Muriel’s spine. It’s on she thought, as she smiled at the box of Cheery Nuts cereal. Walking to the car she could hardly control her excitement as she hoped the note would confirm their mission.

Sitting alone in her car she hastily opened the note and saw the initials E.O.S.S.  Her heart skipped a beat in anticipation as this confirmed that the Elders of the Secret Society of the church have given their directives that the goods arrived and will be securely transported when finished.

After Irene’s third attempt she nosed her 1973 Ford Thunderbird into a space at the Old Rugged Cross parking lot. As she eased to a stop it was only when she hit the brakes that her friend Dora’s small frame was thrust forward on the seat, stopping short of hitting the dashboard.

“Phew! That was a close one, she garbled as she pushed her dentures back in place with her tongue. “You know I just had one hip replaced right? Are you going for two?” Dora lashed out.

“Nonsense, have you no faith in me…faith…get it? See where we are?” “A bit closer to God,” Dora asked. “No silly at the church replied Irene.” ‘I know where we are Irene, just because I’m 70 doesn’t mean I’ve lost my mind you know.” “I know, I know, but what I meant was-never mind, let’s get our things and get inside the rest of the quilting group will wonder where we are. Dora, hurry up and get out I want to see if Sheila’s arrived yet.” “Okay, okay don’t get your panty girdle in a bunch, and besides I’ve already spotted Muriel’s car, and she was picking Sheila up so they’re both here. When Irene popped the trunk she reached in and lifted out their walking aides – a walker for Dora and a cane for herself.

As they stepped off the elevator and entered the church basement’s auditorium the room was abuzz with women’s jovial chitter. The smell of coffee was a welcoming scent and they quickly lined up for their refreshments before the Senior Ladies Quilting Bee began.

“Yoohoo, we’re over here,” Muriel called out to them as she waved them to her location. As they maneuvered around the tables balancing their coffee and cookies they worked their way to their table in the back corner. As they took their seats they watched as Jennell Broderick, Reverend Warren Broderick’s wife, bounce up the stairs and across the stage to a podium. She clapped her hands in her school teacher fashion to get everyone’s attention, which brought quiet sighs and groans from the women below the stage.

“Good Afternoon Quilters, Warren, and I are so happy that we’re getting near the finish line of the many quilted items that you’ve worked on and we’ll soon be sending all your beautiful work to our contact in various third world countries.

The group of four gave one another a discreet elbow nudge that went around the large round table like a wave. They listened as Jennell went on to say. “Our son Christopher will be taking the photos for the upcoming newsletter. Head’s turned and necks craned as all eyes turned to the young man that slouched up against the door frame. He looked uncomfortably out of place with his scruffy long red hair and beard. An oversized camera with a zoom lens hung around his neck pulling his shoulders in making him look more child-like than his years. Khaki pants several sizes too big were weighted down with a metal clip, and a cluster of keys that could open every door in the town while his pant legs pooled in folds over barely visible work boots. While his mother raved on about his accomplishments through his schooling, he merely stared at the floor until she was done, then he did a quick about-face and disappeared. Jennell finally finished speaking and someone from the back table gave a feeble clap of their hands until the rest of the room joined in. As her grinned widened she began to leave the podium and retraced her steps down from the stage.

“Oh my God, I thought she’d never shut up,” hissed Dora. “Shhh, here she comes. Now behave yourselves I don’t want any trouble like last month.” chastised Muriel. “Yes, Muriel.” They chorused “But she’s just so easy to get.” whispered Irene.” Shush, stop.” Muriel replied over her half glasses.

“Oh my! You ladies have outdone yourselves, just look at this beautiful handwork” gushed Jennell. Now tell me, is there anything that I can do to contribute? I mean I feel so useless could I just – as she reached out to touch the edging. “No,” the four women all said in unison. I mean, Jennell, Muriel spoke up, it’s just so hard for us to try to readjust the fabric, we have all the pieces placed just so.” Don’t we ladies. Wild-eyed all their heads bobbled like those dogs that people used to have in a car’s back window. “I thought I heard the Star Light group asking if you’d seen their work – have you? “No actually I haven’t, I’ll go there now and make my rounds and come back here, and maybe by then I can give you a hand.” “Yes, you do that,” Sheila added with a warm smile on her face like sugar wouldn’t melt in her mouth.

“God was that close,” Dora said through clenched teeth as she smiled at the women whose table was next to them.

Irene leaned in and mouthed “Sheila dear, how many did you get this time?” “More than last month these ones should do a village for a year if they’re careful with the dispersing of them.” Dora’s mouth dropped open, “a whole year?” You mean that people have – as she whispers and spells- S  E  X “. Sheila you mean, that people have; - ‘S  E  X’ that many times? Oh my, my poor old Harold would roll over in his grave if he knew that.” “Really? You mean you and Harold weren’t into the under the sheets Olympics?” Irene quizzed. “Stop that,” Muriel snapped, you’ll have the other tables listening in.” “Annnd God forbid that they should know that each one of us here has had S E X during our lifetime huh?” giggled Sheila as she sat back and looked up at the ceiling dreamily  and recalled, “Ahhh, yes that forgotten memory.”  “You know, I do recall one time in a motel that Harold.” “Now Dora we’ve talked about this” Muriel emphasized, “we don’t want to hear about anyone’s adventures or misadventures.” “I know” Dora went on “but, this time was really funny, I started to take off my nylons, back in the day we wore nylons, remember that? “Dora!” They said emphatically. “What part of we don’t want to hear about it didn’t you get? We’ll talk about it next month when we meet for dinner at the Horse and Carriage, and out of earshot from you-know-who, so drop it.” Muriel said as she re-threaded her needle.

Turning to Sheila Irene lowered her voice “Are you sure that no one is noticing the missing morning-after pills?” “No, and why should they? It’s a government-sponsored program and how do they expect to keep track of where they’re going, I’m on the street giving these pills to any girl or woman that comes to the mobile clinic, they don’t’ tell me anything, and I don’t ask. It’s not my job to monitor them. My job as a nurse is to offer health care, and well, if that’s not what we’re doing, then I don’t know what is. Dispensing health care through pills that just happens to be going to other countries, to help other women in need, and they arrive in a lovely baby quilt. Quite appropriate I’d say, wouldn’t you ladies?” she whispered. “I’ll say” Irene concurred; if my poor niece Allison had access to them she wouldn’t be a single mother from an unplanned pregnancy due to rape today. I can’t even imagine what girls in other countries go through and so many of them are just babies themselves. Disgusting with what men get away with.” She brushed a tear away. “Let’s get busy before Jennell comes back and becomes a nuisance.”

Sheila slid her hand into her sewing bag and pulled out 4 tube-like pieces of cloth. Each one sectioned into 10 individual pockets which held 25 button-sized pills. She discretely passed each woman a tube and with quick and nimble hands the tubes were placed in the border of the quilts, tucked into the middle of the batting. As they secured each section of the tubing no one spoke, instead, lost in thought of the past women within their families of the E.O.S.S. who sat and sewed secrets into quilts gone by. Nor did they look up, as they were intent on completing their section as quickly and efficiently as possible. Finishing her section of the quilt Muriel sat back fondling the E.O.S.S. ring that was passed down from her mother. So engrossed in their work they didn’t hear Jennell until she spoke. “My this group is quiet, is there anything I can do?” she asked running her hand along a border near Irene. “Ohh, don’t touch that!” Irene scolded as she removed her hand from the material. I mean there are so many pins in here, we wouldn’t want to see you get pricked with one, would we ladies?” “Oh, that’s very kind of you. Thank you.” She said as she stood back and placed her hands one over the other like an unhappy child. As the group sewed in their final stitches they gave Muriel the honor of anchoring the last stitch.

As the room full of women started to take their leave Jennell scanned the room for Christopher to take pictures of the finished quilts. While she was busy trying to track down her son the four women quickly readied the quilt for shipping. Muriel slipped away from the table and retrieved the packing box. When they had slipped the finished quilt into a box Jennell had found Christopher and was hauling him toward them for a photo.

Jennell’s face had a look of surprise. “Where’s your quilt she asked. “Oh, we packed it already,” Muriel answered. “Sorry, we thought that you’d want to take pictures of the bigger ones,” Muriel said as Sheila and Irene half kicked, half pushed the box under the table. “Oh alright then I’ll go ask the Silver Thimbles, Christopher come with me.” Christopher followed his mother as his camera still hanging on his neck like a weight followed along like an obedient dog.

“C’mon ladies, let’s get this bundled up and mixed in with the others. Muriel instructed. “Dora, don’t forget to put our mark on it so our contact will be able to pick it out from the rest. Sheila gather up our needles and pins. Irene fold up the unused material and batting, we may get another one from it for next month. Okay, ladies let’s get busy.”

Just as Muriel was folding the last flap on the box she heard Warren Brodrick’s booming voice. “Ladies hold on a minute before you put it away I want to see that quilt, I think there’s something funny about it and I want to see it for myself.” Turning a sick white Muriel turned to look at him. “What’s that Warren? I didn’t hear what you said.” “I asked to see your quilt Jennell said that you were all working so hard on it and it seemed very secretive, that I wanted to see it for myself.” “Ugh, we’ve just packed it away, I’m sure it’s no different than any of the other quilts that are finished. Perhaps you’d like to look at one of those ones?” “Now, Muriel if I didn’t know better I’d think you were trying to hide your exquisite work. From what I’m told not very many know how to do the Star of Bethlehem quilt.” “Muriel, don’t be silly.” Sheila said let’s show Warren, we’ll just hold it up for him to see.” “Uh, okay, Dora and Irene could you help us hold it up?” “Of course,” they said in unison.

As they began to unfold it for Warren to see Jennell came flying over. “Christopher, come here, I want a picture taken of this quilt.” She preened, like a cat licking cream off its paws.

“Oh ladies,” exclaimed Warren, you’ve outdone yourselves he said as he scrunches a corner of the quilt in his large hand. An inaudible gasp came from the four women as they held their collective breaths, hoping that he wouldn’t feel their secret inside.

“Lovely, just lovely.” Her sappy voice oozed. She turned and motioned for Christopher to join them. As he navigated his way around the tables she continued to say “Your father and I will each hold an end and you can take our picture she instructed. “Warren grab a corner.” “Jennell I think the women that made it should be in the picture too.” Okay, but as it’s being sent from The Old Rugged Cross Church as representatives I think you and I should be in the first one. Don’t you ladies?

The group of four stood quiet and dumbfounded but all nodded in agreement.

“Okay Christopher you count to three and your father and I will say something silly like sex.”

“Jennell!!!” flabbergasted Warren threw his hands in the air in disbelief.  “Oh don’t be such a stick-in-the-mud Warren; its 2020 get with the times.”

An awkward silence spread over the group. As they shifted their weight and looked away they caught a glimpse of Christopher rolling his eyes as he bowed his head in embarrassment.

“Christopher, what are you doing? We’re waiting.” Jennell snapped.

In slow deliberation he raised his camera and counted “one, two three.” his camera clicked several times and Jennell’s smile seemed to get bigger with each click.

As Warren’s outstretch hand offered the quilt he said “There, now ladies it’s your turn.”.

 As Muriel, Irene, Sheila, and Dora stood behind the quilt each holding a section; their smiles and silent signal of crossed fingers told the world that the women of E.O.S.S. had once again completed another mission. As the camera clicked away they knew another generation had fulfilled their obligation.

August 22, 2020 01:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.