The Eternal Playground

Submitted into Contest #267 in response to: There’s been an accident — what happens next?... view prompt

2 comments

Horror Suspense Speculative

The world slowed the moment the car hit me. I didn’t hear the screech of the tires or the sickening thud of my body against the hood. Instead, there was silence—an unnatural void. Time unraveled, stretching thin as I hit the pavement. My bones cracked like brittle twigs, and blood pooled in my mouth, but my thoughts were somewhere distant, disjointed.

I opened my eyes to find myself lying on the playground across the street. The world felt... wrong. The edges of my vision blurred, everything dim and colorless. A deep, throbbing ache spread through me, but the pain was distant, like it belonged to someone else. I sat up, and the familiar setting of the playground twisted in my mind. I hadn’t been here in years. Why was I here now?

The sky hung low and oppressive, an endless grey void. The swings stood motionless, the rusted slide loomed like a grave marker, and the merry-go-round sagged under the weight of decay, its faded colors giving it a sick, diseased appearance.

I looked at my hands—bloodstained but not enough. Shouldn’t there be more? Shouldn’t I feel more? A cold dread began to creep in. My phone, I thought. I should call for help. But when I reached into my pocket, it wasn’t there. Of course, it wasn’t. I looked across the street to where the accident had happened, but the intersection had dissolved into a dense, rolling fog, thick and heavy like it had swallowed the world whole.

Panic twisted in my chest, its claws sinking deep. I tried to stand, but my legs buckled, barely able to support me. My vision blurred again, and for a moment, the world seemed to tilt. The air felt wrong, too thick, too cold. Something dark slithered in the back of my mind—something I couldn’t shake.

Then I heard it.

Laughter.

It cut through the silence like a razor, high-pitched and sweet, but it sent a chill racing down my spine. Slowly, I turned. On the swing set, barely brushing the ground with her feet, sat a little girl in a red dress. Her dark, brown hair hung in two neat braids, and she swayed gently, her laughter soft and melodic.

But it wasn’t just any girl.

It was me. Me, at eight years old.

I felt my stomach lurch, acid rising in my throat. This wasn’t possible. The dress, the shoes, the way she sat—it was all too familiar. Too real. My heart pounded in my chest, a cold sweat breaking across my skin. I wanted to look away, but my eyes were locked on her. She smiled at me, an eerie, knowing grin that sent waves of nausea through me.

“Come play,” she said, her voice light and innocent. But there was something beneath it, something dark, something twisted.

I stumbled back, my limbs shaking uncontrollably. This couldn’t be happening. The fog had crept closer, surrounding the playground like a living, breathing thing, thick and suffocating. My breath hitched as I realized there was no way out. Nowhere to run.

“Come on, play with me,” she whispered, her voice carrying through the fog. I turned, wanting to escape, but when I looked back, she was standing right in front of me. Too close. Far too close.

Her eyes were wrong. Dark, hollow, as if something else was staring out from behind them. And her smile—it stretched too wide, revealing sharp, jagged teeth that no child should ever have.

“I’ve been waiting for you,” she hissed, her voice low and sinister. “You promised you’d come back.”

“I don’t... I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I stammered, my throat tight, every instinct screaming at me to run, to move. But I couldn’t. I was frozen, paralyzed by her gaze.

The little girl giggled, the sound grating and unnatural, her face contorting with amusement. “Oh, you know. You remember. You said you’d come back and stay. Forever.”

My pulse quickened, fear clawing at the edges of my sanity. “I never—”

“Yes, you did,” she interrupted, stepping even closer. I could feel the cold radiating off her, seeping into my bones. “And now you’re here. Just like you promised.”

Time blurred after that.

I ran, or tried to. But every time I reached the edge of the playground, the fog pushed me back, like some twisted, invisible force was playing with me. It felt like an eternity, wandering in circles, desperate to escape, only to end up back at the swings. Back to her.

She never left. Always there. Always waiting.

The nights were worse. When I collapsed from exhaustion, sleep brought no peace. My dreams twisted into nightmares—repeating the accident over and over. But in some dreams, I wasn’t hit by the car. I walked into it, willingly, my body moving without my control, like a puppet on strings. In others, I stood in the playground, watching the car barrel toward me, but feeling no pain, only a heavy, crushing sense of inevitability.

The fog never lifted. The little girl never disappeared.

Days, weeks—I couldn’t tell anymore. Time slipped away, each moment bleeding into the next. My body began to change. I looked gaunt, my skin pale and stretched tight over my bones. My reflection in the broken mirror of the slide was unrecognizable—some ghostly version of myself. The girl, on the other hand, seemed to grow. Taller, sharper, darker. She was no longer the child I remembered, but something... else. Something wrong.

“Why are you doing this to me?” I whispered one night, my voice hoarse and broken from days of screaming.

She tilted her head, her expression unreadable, but her eyes gleamed with something like pity. “You did this to yourself,” she murmured. “You wanted to escape. You didn’t want to grow up. Don’t you remember?”

Her words struck deep, bringing with them a flood of memories I’d long buried. The fear of growing older, the crushing weight of expectations, the endless anxiety that gnawed at me every day. Hadn’t I wished for this? Hadn’t I wanted to escape it all?

I couldn’t deny it anymore.

This was my punishment. My price for wanting to go back, for refusing to face the world. The playground had claimed me, and now, it would never let go.

Now, I sit on the swing next to her. The fog presses in on all sides, but it no longer suffocates me. The little girl is no longer separate from me. We are one and the same.

And I swing, back and forth, back and forth, in this endless, grey world.

I was always meant to stay here.

September 13, 2024 01:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Prodigy Mouse
18:44 Sep 16, 2024

Wow! Powerful story. I don't know why the line "You wanted to escape. You didn't want to grow up" hit me so hard. Well written, well done

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Sweet
20:05 Sep 15, 2024

I suppose we should be wary of what we wish for. I'm guessing eternal youth isn't all it seems to be. Creepy, Twilight Zone-type of story. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.