Just 10 Days

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten days.... view prompt

35 comments

Sad Fiction

Day one:

I remember the day, clear as day. As if it just happened. The day I discovered how many days I discovered how many days I have left, to live. In the world I live in, at the age of 18, we discover how many days we have left to live. I didn’t yet know how many days I had left to live. I feared, yet yearned for that one day. December 21st. I feared that I would only have a day or two left to live. I feared I would never experience so many things-in so little days.

“Hey, Irelyn!” My best friend, Kisha, exclaims, running over to me. “How many days do you have left to live?” I hesitate before telling her.

“I haven’t found out yet. My birthday is tomorrow, remember? How many days do you have left to live?” I lie, with a hint of sadness in my tone.

“I have more then days! I’m going to live a successful life!” Kisha squeals, jumping up and down. “Woo-hoo! I hope we have a successful life together.” A successful ife ranged from 90-100. I manage a weak smile.

“Yes, I hope so, too.” I glance up at the two digit’s that loomed over me.

10 Days Left To Live.

Those two, terrifying digits, controlling my life. Thinking about it, I almost broke down-right in front of my clueless friend, believing I would-possibly-life a happy life with her. The world for me, ending. Never, ever, living again.

“Want to go sky diving?” I asked. I have never been sky diving, and it was on my bucket list.

“Sky diving?” Kisha giggles. “I thought you wanted to go sky diving when we were more older.”

“Yeah, but, in case-I-you know, discover my days tomorrow…” I leave the unfinished sentence hanging in the air. Kisha’s giggles end.

“Of course we’ll go sky diving!” Kisha agrees, as if she never said her previous sentence. “I heard there’s a really good sky diving place-it’s called FliIght.” Kisha pulls me into her convertible and speeds down the road. Even though we were probably breaking the speed limit, I wanted to enjoy this moment forever.

The breeze playing with my hair and cooling my face down. Kisha laughing and telling jokes in the background. The air was fresh and lush, having a sharp sort of tint in it. The trees were blurred in the background, and the relaxing sound of the car rolling against the road.

I remember the feeling of dropping down from the helicopter. All that build-up nervousness was washed away from the breeze. I remember plummeting down, Kisha right besides me, smiling and screaming at the top of her lungs. I remember dropping right through a cloud with Kisha, and how we laughed at each other’s soaked selfs. I remember the beautiful landscape beneath me. The green trees covering the brown dirt. Blue, shiny, lakes speckled the area. Everything was so breath taking, and I wanted to remember everything. Every. Little. Detail.

Day two:

There is so much things to do in 9 days. I wanted to do so many things. I needed to bade my Mom, Dad, brother, and sister goodbye. I had to fly to Florida. Currently, I was in Harvard. I booked a flight to Florida, I wanted to leave as soon as possible. Driving there would take over 18 hours, I didn’t have 90 days.

With a painful sigh, I realized I’d have to say goodbye to my boyfriend. Slowly, as if every muscle in my body wouldn’t work, I got up to the door. I called Ryan-my boyfriend-and asked him to meet me up at the Café. He agreed and told me he was on his way. I trudged all the way there, keeping my head down. Other people’s numbers-those who chose to show them-glinted brightly in the afternoon sun. I saw mostly everyone had: “Successful Life.” Posted above their heads.

Before long, the Café came into view. Ryan was already there, sitting on a bench with two cups of coffee next to him.

“Hi.” He exclaims, grinning at me from ear to ear.

“Hi,” I mutter, unable to meet his gaze as I sit down.

“What’s wrong?” Ryan asks, his brown eyes burning me. I rest my head on his shoulder.

“I have to say goodbye.” I whisper softly. Ryan looks questionably at me.

“Sorry? Are you breaking up with me?”

“No! No, never! It’s just I-.” I stutter. I cry into Ryan’s shoulder. “I only have…N-nine days left to l-live.” I mange before softly crying again. Ryan’s eyes widen as he meets my red-eyed gaze.

“What? I thought we were going to have a good year or two together!” Ryan exclaims. I hung my head.

“I guess not. T-this is my last time seeing you. I just wanted to say that…” I break down. A few seconds later, I pulled myself together and told everything I wanted to tell him. Ryan closely listens, not questioning or interrupting. Finally, I get to my 8 last words.

“I’ll never forgot you, Ryan. I love you.” I had stopped crying and hugged him. Ryan hugs me back. Unable to take it any longer, I break free from his grasp and run, not knowing where I was going. Perhaps to the fountain, the park, the forest, somewhere where I would be all alone. All alone so I could scream and let it all out. Perhaps this was a dream, and I was about to wake up.

“Wake up!” I scream, once I’m in the woods. Tears stream down my cheeks as I cry. It’s something I can’t bare. Something I can’t avoid. My death was soon. The sound of footsteps approached me. I look up through my blurred vision and I see a boy. Not Ryan, no. But a blonde haired-boy with glasses. How did he find me? My screams, probably.

“What do you want?” I sniffle. I rub my eyes and see that it’s Oliver. Oliver sits down on the log next to me. Oliver was my best friend since I was 2. We’d hang out-and still do- a lot.

“I heard that you have 9 days left to live.” Oliver softly begins. “And since you do, I’d just like to say that…That…I had a crush on you since I was 2, too. But you liked Ryan-so I just left it that way.” The news hits me hard. Why hadn’t I realized it? Oliver was always staring at me-always sitting next to me. And I had just assumed that was because we were best friends. Now, I realize it’s because he likes me. “I understand you don’t have feelings for me, but I just want to say that.” Oliver gets up and leaves. I don’t do anything about it. For a few minutes, I sit on the log, thinking what I want to do today. But as I open my eyes, it’s already dark.

Had I been sitting here for a few hours? I slowly get up and walk home. The moon shines brightly-a full moon. I remember how my sister would tease me about the full moon-saying a werewolf would come-every single time. But, that werewolf protected us from other bad creatures. Like vampires, zombies, or ghouls. I smile up at the full moon, wishing I could hug my sister right on the spot. But I can’t. She’s all the way in Florida.

By the time I got in bed, it was half past ten. I climb into the covers with my PJ’s and read my favorite book.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. 

The two men appeared out of nowhere, a few yards apart in the narrow, moonlit lane. For a second, they stood quite still, wands directed at each other’s chests; then, recognizing each other, they stowed their wands beneath their cloaks and started walking briskly in the same direction.

“News?” Asked the taller of the two.

“The best,” replied Severus Snape. 

I read on and on until midnight. My flight was tomorrow, I had to get up early.

Day three:

“Mom! Dad! Anika!” I exclaim, rushing into the open arms of them. 

Ire!” Mom exclaimed, rushing towards me. “It’s so nice to see you, hon!”Mom hugs me so tight, I have trouble breathing. I smile back.

“So nice to see you, too.” I meekly say. Dad grins at me, wrinkles forming as the white smile spreads across his face. Anika appears.

“Hey, Ire.” Anika smiles. “Yesterday was the full moon, y’know? Our werewolf came to protect us, did yours?” Although that werewolf thing came from when we were little, we still kept it going.

“Yup! I heard mine howling.” I laugh, breaking my gloomy mood. Anika laughs, too. Mom brings me to the living room and sits me down on a white couch.

“So, what brings you here?” Mom asks, getting straight to the point. My gloom mood returns.

“I discovered how many days I have left to live.” I slowly begin. Mom nods while Anika sits down next to me. Dad leans on the couch opposite from us.

“We all have a successful life! It must run in the family,” Mom cheers.

“Er…” I mutter. “Not me.”

“What? Do you get infinite life?” Anika asks, a tone of jealousy in her voice.

“No. Lower. Lower then yours.” I hint. Mom, Dad and Anika all makes pointless guesses, each above 60 years.

“We give up.” Dad finally concludes.

“I had 10 days left to life. Now I have 7.” I broke the news. The news pierced the happy mood. Like a icicle plunging down on ice. Cracking it. Mom and Dad both gasp. Anika let’s out a small whimper.

“What? 7 days? Surely, it can’t be? We all have successful lives, why don’t you?” Anika complains. I shrug sadly.

“I’ve come all the way from Harvard to tell you this.” I began the sappy speech-about how good my parents were in raising me, and Anika for comforting me. Then, I noticed Sam wasn’t there.

“Where’s Sam? I have to tell him something too.” Mom and Dad exchange glances.

“Sam…Um…His days were out.” Mom said in a quiet voice.

“When?”

“A few weeks ago. He told us, and he was ready. Sam said he didn’t fear death therefore he done everything he wanted. he peacefully died.” Dad informed.

“How come you didn’t tell me?”

“Well, you were all the way in Harvard and all…” Mom says with hesitation. I wasn’t mad at them, I was mad at Sam for not telling me how many days he had left to live. Bro-Sis code! C’mon! I was about to leave but my invites me to stay for two days. I happily obliged, texting Kisha I wouldn’t be at Harvard for a while.

I remember all four of us sitting by the fire. Paw’s, Mom’s cat, who was a fluffy brown tabby-was purring loudly. I remember the warm fire, and the soothing crackling of it. How it brought back to much memories. I remember how we laughed and joked, how we ate s’mores by the fireplace. I remember how Anika burnt her marshmallow and we had to get the fire extinguisher out. I remember the warm, cozy, happy feeling of everything.

Day four:

On my second day here, we went fishing. The lake was breath taking. It was bright blue that sparkled in the sun. A small bridge crossed the middle, and reeds surrounded the lake, guarding it, protecting it. A fluffy white bunny hopped across our path. I set my fishing pole down and took in a big, big, breath. Relishing how the wind tussled with my hair

I caught a carp-quite big. Anika laughed as the fish tail slapped my face. Mom and Dad sat in fold-up chairs, watching Anika and I. The big, fat, pink worm squirmed in my grasp as I poked it with the curved hook.

“Time to go home.” Mom smiles.

“But I don’t want to go!” I whine, acting like I was once 8. Anika agrees.

“This brings back so much memories!” Anika added. The sun was setting. The sky was streaked with red, orange, and yellow. White fluffy clouds dotted the flame sky. In the end, Mom dragged us home. Despite the fact the day seemed to pass by in 10 minutes, the day had passed by in 24 hours.

“I’ll never forget this day.” I whisper as sleep took ahold of me. Bringing me to only 5 days left to live.

Day five:

I flew from Florida back to Harvard and shower. After, I sit down on my bed and cry. I wasn’t in the mood to do anything else other then sit on my bed. So I did. I laid in my bed and watched YouTube on my computer. What a waste of my day.

Day six:

I awoke to find a family sized bag of chips next to me, crumbs all over, and my computer turned off. I brushed the chips off myself and got up. I glanced over at my bucket list. 

Visit a concert.

Day seven:

I remember the noise from the concert, the loud cheering at the famous DJ, Marshmallow walked into view. His X eyes and smile shone brightly against the lights. I remember the wonderful music that flowed out, the pop music that made me want to me one with it. I remember the loud cheering, and how everyone shoved each other. I remember the colorful, bright lights, almost blinding me. I remember when the dark silence fell, after everyone left. Marshmallow bowed and walked off-stage. 

If only I could live for more then three days. 78 hours. I glance at the picture of my family, all the way in Florida. Tears, once again, fall down my cheeks. I close my eyes and allow the tears to freely fall. 

Day eight:

I couldn’t remember anything. The panic that hit me brainwashed me. Enfolding me. I only panicked even more. My roommate, Orlana came into the room. 

“Hey, Irelyn, you alright?” Orlana asked, looking at my sweating self. I manage a nod, before stumbling to the kitchen to get a glass of water. Why am I panic when my death is in two days? 48 hours. 

I went sledding.

I remember the cold, fresh breeze slapping my face. I remember the cold, refreshing snow as I face-plummeted into it. I remember how the snow froze me. I remember how the sharp-cold snow got under my sleeves. I remember the white-covered landscape. Not a single speck of any other color, just white. I hug the snow, and leave.

Day nine:

I wasn’t in panic anymore. It had passed. I wasn’t even near panic. I was sad. Orlana was near death, only five more minutes left.

“Orlana.” I whisper, as once again, tears form around my eyes. Orlana looks at me with her blue eyes.

“It doesn’t hurt, Irelyn.” 

“What doesn’t hurt?”

“Dying. It’s peaceful. You can forget about all your worries. Just relax, and watch over your family members and the people you love.” Orlana softly croaks. “It’s just like falling asleep.” Those were Orlana’s last words before she died. Before she closed her eyes, and her breathing slowed. Then, she glowed-blue-and disappeared. I truly knew what Orlana meant.

“Thank you, Orlana.” I softly say.

Your welcome.” Orlana’s far away voice echos inside my head. I slip from my dorm to find Ryan. I needed him. I found him, sitting alone on a bench. He lifts his head up to see me, and instantly brightens. 

“Hi.” Ryan greets, I hug him.

“I don’t have much time left. But you do know that I love you right?” Ryan nods. I smile, hug him once more, and stare into his eyes. I spend the day with Ryan. We went to Starbucks and got coffee-then played in the snow.

I remember how the sun shone brightly on him. I remember how the background noise faded. I remember how the world spun around us. I was only aware of me and Ryan, standing close to each other by the beach. I remember how he hugged me tight as we sat side-bye-side. I remember how the ocean made relaxing sounds, soothing me. I remember how the sunset-it’s flame-streaked colors spreading across the sky. I remember dolphins jumping out of the water. Most of all, I remember when I kissed him. 

Day ten:

I still had 12 minutes. I rushed to Kisha and told her. She cried. I couldn’t bear it so I left. Leaving my best friend, crying on no ones shoulder. I visited Oliver, hugged him, then kissed him-for I was going to die soon, I should at least make my other best friend happy. I visited Ryan, and he told me he was going to stay by my side until I…Died. I realized I wasn’t worried, sad, or scared. I was calm. At peace. I wasn’t worrying, no. I was accepting my fate. 

At last, I closed my eyes, and allowed the darkness to take ahold.

Forever.

January 02, 2021 04:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

Ari Berri
15:03 Jan 04, 2021

This story is awesome! A great use of the prompt. Have you read Adam Silvera's They both die at the end? This reminds me of that book.

Reply

Thanks, but your stories are better. I haven't read Adam SIlvera's but I'll read it! Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply

Ari Berri
17:02 Jan 05, 2021

Also for your riddle, did she take a picture of him?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
17:00 Jan 05, 2021

Thanks. You're stories are awesome, though, much better then my first ones for sure. You should definitely read Adam Silvera.

Reply

Correct! This riddle took a little while for me to figure out. I'm reading Adam Silvera right now. Also, your writing is better then mine.

Reply

Ari Berri
17:27 Jan 05, 2021

You're reading it already? That was quick. My first stories seriously are terrible.

Reply

I'm reading your first stories right now, and their 100% better than mine!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.