The Purple Pumpkins are Here

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

Once upon a time, there was a kid named Tim. Tim was no ordinary kid. He had superpowers! He could make stuff blow up.

You may think that this is a lousy superpower to have. But read on and you will discover that this power is useful.

One day, Tim was walking to school. He was thinking about how useless his explosion powers were. But he was wrong.

Then the sky darkened. It looked like it was night, but it was still 8:14 in the morning. "What the heck?" exclaimed Tim.

Then it started raining purple pumpkins! Yes, purple pumpkins. They were round and plump and deep violet. It was very queer.

It turned out that these pumpkins were more than just colored wrong. They were also evil! As soon as the pumpkins hit the ground, they generated arms, legs, and a face. Then they ran around and caused chaos.

What had started out as a normal day was now the most crazy day in the history of ever. Purple pumpkins broke into houses, stealing valuable things. Then when they came out with the people's stuff, they destroyed the house.

Within minutes, the town was practically ruins. There was fire everywhere, people were running around screaming, and only a few buildings were standing. Not to mention the purple pumpkins were running around everywhere.

Then a purple pumpkin ran past Tim and tried to steal his lucky pencil!

"Oh no!" exclaimed Tim. He put his hands out, and the purple pumpkin blew up. Purple pumpkin guts were everywhere.

Tim discovered that his powers were useful after all! He started going everywhere, blowing up pumpkins before they robbed people.

A couple of pumpkins were trying to rob the bank. Surprisingly, the bank was still standing. But it wasn't for long.

Two purple pumpkins rushed into the bank. "Oh no!" exclaimed Tim. He followed them in.

Somehow, the bank was already in ruins when it was standing 3 seconds ago. The only thing that was undamaged were the bags of money.

The mischievous pumpkins lunged at the bags of money. But before they could grab the bags and run, Tim blew them up. Purple guts covered the bags of money.

Pretty soon there was only 3 pumpkins left. They ran around quickly, trying to stay away from Tim.

Tim tried to catch the pumpkins, but they were too fast. They climbed up a skyscraper.

"Oh no!" exclaimed Tim, "There's no way I can get all the way up there!"

Then he remembered that this skyscraper had a fast elevator. But was it fast enough so Tim could catch the pumpkins?

Tim decided to find out. He dashed into the building and into the elevator. He pressed the button to the top floor: floor 219. (This was an extremely tall skyscraper.)

The elevator door closed, and the elevator started to go up. Elevator music played.

When the elevator finally got to the top, the top floor was already in ruins. There was fire everywhere, most of the walls had melted, and the whole story looked like it was about to fall over. And Tim saw the purple pumpkins, holding valuable jewels in their hands.

"Stop right there!" exclaimed Tim. Of course, the purple pumpkins didn't understand him. They were too stupid. But they stopped anyway.

The purple pumpkins were trapped. Tim was in front of them, and behind them was a 32 mile drop.

"It's not cool to cause chaos," said Tim. He held out his hands, and 2 of the purple pumpkins blew up.

But the last one looked up at Tim with innocent eyes. At first, Tim wasn't fooled. Then he thought, Maybe this pumpkin will give up its criminal ways.

So Tim picked up the purple pumpkin. It dropped the jewels and cuddled in Tim's arms. It liked him!

But then there was a BOOM. "Huh?" said Tim.

All of a sudden, a gigantic purple pumpkin fell from the sky! It looked exactly like the other purple pumpkins, except it was 32 miles tall, and it had a golden crown.

"YOU!!!!!" it bellowed, pointing a scraggly purple finger at Tim. Tim gulped.

"I AM KING OF PURPLE PUMPKINS!!!!!" bellowed the giant pumpkin, "YOU KILL ALL PURPLE PUMPKINS!!!!!! NOW YOU PAY!!!!!!!"

Tim knew that the king pumpkin didn't mean paying money. It wanted to kill him!

"It's not cool to rob people," said Tim, his voice quavering, "I blew up the pumpkins to save my town!"

"YOU NOT COOL!!!" bellowed the king pumpkin, "KING PUMPKIN KILL YOU!!!!!!!"

Tim quickly ran away from the king pumpkin. It looked far too big for him to blow up.

The king pumpkin was mad. He swiped his gigantic purple arm, destroying half of the skyscraper.

Tim stepped in the elevator and started to ride it to the very bottom.

That was a mistake. The king pumpkin grabbed the elevator and started to crush it with its hands!

Tim was horrified. The elevator was one of those glass elevators, so he saw what was happening. And there was only one thing to do.

Tim used his powers to blow up the elevator. The king pumpkin probably thought Tim was killed, but he wasn't. He was falling.

Tim was 32 miles above the ground, and falling fast. Soon he and his purple pumpkin would hit the ground and be dead.

Tim was coming closer and closer to the ground. He braced himself...

And he didn't die! He had landed on a trampoline in someone's backyard.

Tim, happy that he was alive, got off the trampoline. The king pumpkin was coming for him.

Then someone came out of the house. Tim knew this person. It was Eddie, and he loved making jack-o-lanterns.

"Whoa!" exclaimed Eddie when he saw the king pumpkin, "Giant Jack-O-Lantern!"

Then Tim got an idea. "Yeah!" he exclaimed, "Call everyone in town. We can make a giant jack-o-lantern!"

So Eddie went out onto the ruined streets, calling everyone to get their knives to carve the world's biggest jack-o-lantern.

At first, everyone was confused. But they got their knives anyway.

Soon, everyone started making a jack-o-lantern out of the king pumpkin. It howled in pain.

Instead of a knife, Tim used his powers to help make the jack-o-lantern. He blew up parts of the king pumpkin to make eyes, a nose, and a mouth.

Soon the king pumpkin had turned into a giant, purple jack-o-lantern with an elaborate face. Everyone admired their work.

It turned out that Tim also had the power to build stuff without hammers. So he repaired the entire town. Soon it was back to its glory, with one addition. The town became famous for its 32-mile-tall purple jack-o-lantern. It became the number one tourist attraction on Earth, known as Jack-O-Lantern Town.

Tim decided to keep the purple pumpkin. He named it Pumpy, and they were best friends. THE END

July 19, 2020 17:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.