0 comments

Romance Coming of Age Funny

This party sucks. Everyone is busy getting wasted and high. I should’ve said no when my suitemates asked me to come with them. Shoot I can’t even see them right now, they all dispersed into the crowd of sweaty people. They won’t mind if I just leave right? Maybe I’ll just head outside for a bit for fresh air. Who knows, maybe I’ll get in the party mood? Ugh, who am I kidding, I don’t even like going to parties, I haven’t been to one since like those lame middle school dances.

I eventually pushed my way through the mass of people by the door and made my way outside. There were way less people outside, but enough to be able to tell there was a party going on at the big four-story house on the street corner. It was a little chilly outside, cold enough to the point where you could see your breath appear in front of you. As I sighed out a puff of chilly air, a wave of emptiness washed over me all of a sudden. I had been feeling pretty crappy all day about the midterm I took earlier today. I couldn’t answer the final question and it was only 8 questions. I thought a party would cheer me up but I think I would have been better off wallowing in the dorms…

“Hey, I think I’ve you’re in my chemistry class?” A girl's voice said.

I looked over and it was a familiar girl with brown hair, freckles that dotted her cheeks, and was wearing those fashionable mom jeans with a floral flowy shirt. 

“Um, yeah haha. I think we are in the same class,” I said.

“This is a lame-ass party, right? I failed that midterm today and needed a distraction from thinking about that” She said.

My heart started beating a little bit faster.

“Oh whattt, me too! I also failed! I would never be at a party like this normally but my suitemates said it would cheer me up. They’re probably shotgunning white claws right now…” 

We looked over and saw a group of guys going ham on the white claws. Yikes. 

She laughed and boy did she have a cute laugh.

From that point on we ended up talking and talking. She was actually really cool. It turned out she was a year older than me. I decided not to ask her major because that’s a boring and basic question you ask someone in the elevator during the first week of class. She talked with so much swagger yet seemed sweet at the same time. I was kind of crushing hard on her. That wasn’t the alcohol talking either, because I don’t drink alcohol. It also turns out she also didn’t drink alcohol either! What are the odds? 

When meeting cool, new people I don’t like to talk about myself. I like to ask questions and just listen as I learn more about who they are. I’m a really good listener. She told me all about all the clubs she was in and all the cool classes she’s taken.

“Hey there’s a swing dance club here too! You should come one day, it's open to everyone!” she suggested excitedly.

“Oh definitely! I’ll suck though, I can’t dance for anything,” I laughed.

“Nah don’t be silly, here I’ll show you some of the basics,” she said.

She grabbed both of my hands suddenly and moved me until our bodies were now close and facing each other. She gave me a little sly smile. 

“Okay, these are the basic steps of swing. This is called the ‘rock step’. Put your left leg behind you... but put your heel in the air. Now lean back on your rear leg. Then front step and lean on your front leg… Yeah! There you go!” she said.

“Guess I’m a natural huh?” I said.

“Oh hush! Here let me teach you the triple step,” she said.

I learned everything she taught me quite fast. Maybe I wasn’t so bad at dancing? Granted I hadn’t tried dancing since sophomore year of high school.

We ended up just sort-of swing dancing and goofing around for a while. People looked at us weird but soon they were too drunk to even care. A random fratter even complimented us. I’m definitely joining that swing dance club, this was fun!

Then she tripped on some trash lying on the ground.

I caught her before she fell. We were now very close to each other. She laughed nervously. I swallowed nervously. Her eyes were quite pretty. Were they blue… light green.. Maybe-

“COPS ARE HERE! DISPERSE!” Someone yelled.

Guess I didn’t have time to figure out her eye color. Soon pandemonium ensued as the cops came. Someone had an air horn and was running around the neighborhood honking it loudly. A lot of people were underaged so a mass crowd of people came running out of the house. 

Me and the girl ran together ahead of the mass of people. We ran for about a block until we ended up on a bridge, under a streetlamp with a view of a little river flowing underneath. The moon was out today and was glimmering on the bubbling water underneath. 

I was out of breath but she calmly went over to the side rail and started gazing up at the moon. She nodded for me to come over next to her. I made my way next to her, leaning on the railing. She then promptly scooted over and our bodies were now touching each other. 

We stared at the moon for a while in silence. I looked over at her, she was smiling up at the moon, eyes glittering from the moon's white light. She noticed me looking at me and turned and gave me a big smile. 

I blushed and gave her a smile back.

“Yeah, so that’s why I don’t like going to parties like that,” I said.

“For real. I hate frats!” She said.

We laughed.

“That guy with the airhorn was something else," she said laughing.

“I don’t even think he had pants on,” I said laughing as well.

“Oh eww! I didn’t even see that,” She said coveringing her mouth.

When we stopped laughing we continued gazing up at the moon. After a while, a question popped into my head.

“Hey, what’s your name by the way?” I realized I never asked her. 

She turned to me and leaned on the railing with one arm. She stared silently into my eyes for a bit. Soon I was feeling her soft lips on mine. I don’t know how long we kissed but I liked how long it felt. She was a good kisser. I only opened my eyes after she moved away. Next thing I know she was walking away. 

I don’t know why I didn’t follow her. All I could do was just watch her leave. 

Her kiss still lingered on my mouth. 

I stood at the bridge for a little longer. 

The moon was really pretty tonight.... 

Too bad the full moon only appears once a month...

I wonder if the night sky thinks the moon is a good kisser...

I guess the best kissers disappear just as fast as they appear…

Damn It, why didn’t I ask for her number!

May 09, 2021 06:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.