Contest #88 winner 🏆

No More Happy Endings

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write about an author famous for their fairy tale retellings.... view prompt

161 comments

Sad Fiction

Once upon a time…

…there was only war. She leapt up in triumph, blood dripped from her sword as she swung it down on the beast’s neck, hacking in a frenzy. She laughed. The taste of blood and sweet revenge urged her on in her manic slaying of the creature that had…

No, no that wasn’t right.

Once there was a girl who…

…who had a monster in her, clawing at the surface every waking moment she…

No! Not that either.

There was once a little girl who…

Who what?

Tearing the page away and crumpling it into a ball, he threw it over his shoulder to join its growing mass of brethren on the floor. It was dark in the office, the curtains shut to block out the intrusion of the light. He worked by a single lamp, its artificial brightness casting shadows about the room. Shadows were better than ghosts, he supposed.

He licked his dry lips, ignoring his thirst and the beginnings of a headache. When last had he drunk anything? No, that wasn’t important. This was.

On the book shelf behind him, the row of his best sellers stared down mockingly at him. They were not stories like the one he was trying so desperately to write. These were horror retellings of traditional fairy tales. Stories where the wolf ate the girl, the evil queen became the fairest in the land and giants ruled the world below. There were no good endings there.

‘Why can’t you write a happy story?’ a childish voice whined in his ears.

He turned, almost expecting her to be standing behind him, but there were only the shadows and his books. Those books that had taken so many hours. So much time. Why had he wasted so much time?

“I’m trying,” he whispered, pushing the thoughts of wrath and pain away.

A long time ago, in a kingdom far, far away, there lived a girl who…

He got up, reaching for the first book on the shelf, his first novel. The snarling face of an undead Cinderella stared up at him. What had he missed writing this? Her first birthday? Her first word? He couldn’t remember just now.

Opening it, he peered down at the dedication, the only indication he had remembered her at all. Who dedicates a horror book to a baby? He was such an idiot.

He tore the page out and then the next…and the next….and the next. One by one, they fell to the floor like snow until his movements became erratic, gripping handfuls at a time and ripping them out. He grabbed another book, a cannibalistic Gretel greeted him, her brother’s severed head grinning at the reader. This one too joined the flurry of paper on the ground.

“Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!” he chanted to himself, almost screaming the words out.

Book, after book, was torn apart, helping him vent his rage in that dark room. He finally collapsed on the floor, exhausted to his bones. The blank pages of his notebook waited for him. He put his head back and closed his eyes.

~.~

The world was bright. Sunlight dabbled down through the leaves of the trees in the forest as he road out on his white horse. It had been a long and treacherous journey. He had faced dragons and monsters. He had climbed mountains and ventured deep underground. His adventures had taken him far and wide; he had seen places he couldn’t have dreamed of, but it was worth it. All to get to this point.

He had finally found her.

The princess had been stolen away from them suddenly by a wicked fairy who cast a terrible curse on her. The cure to this curse was almost impossible to find and many times the brave king had come close to giving up hope.

The path led him deep into the forest, past whispering trees and sweet song birds that heralded his coming.

A gilded, glass coffin lay in the centre of a clearing. As he approached, he could see her sweet face through the opaque glass, gently dreaming. He got off his horse and approached, the cure, a magical flower in hand. He stepped forward, his boots sinking into soft moss as the perfumed scent of the forest hit him.

Lifting the lid, he laid the flower, its golden petals gleaming, onto her little chest and waited.

And waited.

“Darling,” he whispered, “it’s time to wake up.”

Her angelic face, framed in the golden halo of her hair, remained impassive. He bent down, pressing his lips to her cool forehead and feeling his eyes sting.

“Please princess,” he begged, “Please wake up.”

The gilded coffin faded to crisp white sheets, the forest to the stark walls of the hospital room. The sweet smell was the acrid scent of chemicals used to clean the floors and the gentle bird song became the slow beep of the heart monitor.

He sat crouched over her bedside, holding her cold hand in a death grip, eyes red from crying all night. His little girl lay still on the bed, her usually plump cheek sallow and the glow lost from her skin. Her beautiful, golden hair was all gone now and she wore a cap to keep her head warm. She was connected to more wires and tubes than he thought possible for such a tiny human being.

Her eyes remained closed, trapped in her dream world forever.

“Please,” he cried, “Please wake up!”

‘Why can’t you write a happy story, Daddy?’

~.~

 “Paul? Paul!” the voice was coming to him from far away, slowly dragging him out of the dream, “Honey, wake up!”

His eyes opened blearily. Someone had opened the curtains and window, letting the sunshine leak in. A mess of paper covered the floor and his wife was peering down at him, her gaze worried.

“You need some water,” she said softly, coaxingly, “And some food. Come on, love.”

She tried to pull him up, but he gripped her by the arm, gaze searching. She looked so much like their little princess, with the same golden hair and sweet face. There were bags under her eyes, betraying how tired and sad she was, a mirror of his own face. His heart clenched painfully.

“I said I’d write it,” he mumbled out, it seemed important she know, “I was trying to write a happy story. I promise.”

She leaned forward, wrapping her arms around him and bringing them close together. He shuddered in her arms, letting himself get pulled in by her warmth. Hot tears found their way down his face as he clutched close to her.

“I know,” she soothed, “She’ll really like that.”

Once upon a time, in a kingdom far, far away, there lived a little girl…

…who was loved, very, very much. 

April 03, 2021 16:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

161 comments

Samuel Li
06:55 Jul 26, 2021

So good. Amazing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vineel Chandra
06:55 Jun 29, 2021

How easy or difficult it is to remember someone's birthday? Especially when that someone is your best friend! Read this story to know more - https://vineelwrites.blogspot.com/2021/06/happy-birthday.html

Reply

Show 0 replies
Samantha Savage
15:37 Jun 20, 2021

Hi, I have only just joined Reedsy and am already getting so happily lost in all of these amazing stories! What an amazing place this is! This story in particular really got to me in such a beautiful way, the imagery of the coffin/forest/birdsong merging into the hospital reality was so powerful and clever. Thank you for such brilliant writing, a great win for sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Carolyn McBride
20:49 Jun 16, 2021

I can feel his heartbreak from here...sob!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Iris Orona
17:21 Jun 04, 2021

SO BEAUTIFULLY PUT TOGETHER AND SAD AT THE SAME TIME.. LOVED IT!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Klebz Mo
21:14 May 24, 2021

50 Long Distance Relationship Quotes That Will Bring You Both Closer If you want a free ebook of his secret obsession send me an email here (bestways317@gmail. com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chaeli Daniel
17:54 May 24, 2021

Love the wording and details! It's painfully beautiful in a remarkable way. Fantastic job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
06:25 May 23, 2021

Very nice story. I liked the way you gave us a hint of each 'horror fairy tale' he had written. Also, the transition between the forest and the hospital was flawless.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aimie Laylee
12:09 May 21, 2021

Incredible. Truly beautiful. Not often I find stories that lure me in from the very first word but this is a masterpiece in my eyes. You're so talented, bravo! Amazing piece of writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shouku Nishimiya
11:45 May 20, 2021

I loved how the story changes from a prince trying to save a lost princess into his little girl in the hospital. Congrats!!!!💙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Steve Uppendahl
15:34 May 18, 2021

Oh man...as the father of four girls...this killed me. So well done. Jesus. Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ixzely Mora
17:26 May 17, 2021

this story is so good, i can't find anything to critique for my assignment but thank you for the good story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Miranda Pelayo
17:21 May 17, 2021

This was such a good story! I loved the fantasy stories intertwined with the actual story of a man coping, it was so easy to read and had an amazing flow. You captured his grief so well. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexa Lepe
17:19 May 17, 2021

This was really good. The pain that the dad felt was so real and I was able to feel the pain that he felt. The fact that you were able to make the reader care and feel this type of way is amazing. I think you captured the father's grief very well. You made this story feel very realistic. I loved it, it made me cry in a good way. Very beautiful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Blueberry Elf
07:07 May 15, 2021

If you would be open to checking out my latest story and giving me your feedback on it, I would be very grateful. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Blueberry Elf
06:35 May 15, 2021

Wow. Truly beautiful! So touching. I absolutely loved this, "The gilded coffin faded to crisp white sheets, the forest to the stark walls of the hospital room. The sweet smell was the acrid scent of chemicals used to clean the floors and the gentle bird song became the slow beep of the heart monitor." So so wonderful! I really look forward to reading more of your work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kaiser Emotion
22:54 May 14, 2021

i read this to some friends, and i change one bit as i was reading it. "the same golden hair and sweet face" to "the same golden hair, the same sweet face" i really loved this story and it teared me up really good. i just liked that little change as i was reading :3 hope you dont mind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:56 May 11, 2021

I bet 9/10 of these comments are fake, and didn't read the story and just want "points"

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:51 May 11, 2021

j

Reply

Show 0 replies

Congrats on the win! You totally deserved it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.