Fair Game

Submitted into Contest #136 in response to: Set your story on a baseball field.... view prompt

12 comments

Funny Fiction High School

It’s hot.

I’m out here at the edge of a sunbaked baseball diamond, letting my eyes go unfocused so I can distance myself from the game. Sweat is dripping into my eyes, and they’re stinging, so I can’t see anyway.

I’m waaay outfield, as far away from the action as I can be. No one bothers me out here; they don’t actually want me to participate, and the feeling is mutual. I was, as always, the last one chosen for a team. I say “chosen” with big, fat air quotes. Really, I was the only one who didn’t get chosen. 

PE teachers are the worst for showing favoritism. Well, that’s not really true - I guess the English teachers do it too. Only they pick me first. 

Anyway, back to the PE situation: Mrs. Marcus names two captains, who just happen to be her star students. In this case, they are Maggie and April. 

Maggie starts off by choosing the third-best athlete in the class (after herself and April). No one is surprised. April takes the next one down the line. 

It’s always the same process - there’s a break in the ratings when Maggie appoints her best friend. The nomination is an obligatory one; Lily isn’t the greatest at sports, but she’d be offended if she didn’t place.

Do I intentionally name the best students when I’m choosing my team for the spelling bee or the debate session? Well… I guess I do.  Of course, I want to be the leader of the geek champions!

Next, April chooses one of her closest friends. (Maggie and April can’t stand each other, by the way.) They go back to choosing by athletic ability, until it gets down to the mediocre players. After that, the choices are just random, except they both avoid picking me.

Eventually, they have even numbers and I’m left standing there. I shuffle my feet, scraping the side of my shoe in the dust while I wait. Little reddish swirls rise in the hot air and dissipate. I’ll guarantee you, Maggie can’t spell “dissipate”. I smirk to myself.

Mrs. Marcus sends me to Maggie’s team, and tells her student assistant to play for April’s team. That’s not fair. Hallie will help them win - because obviously she’s a superior athlete - and Maggie’s team will think I made them lose. I don’t really care, but the balance would be better if Hallie and I were on the same team.

I think about that.

Maggie is in my English class. What if, next time there’s a spelling bee… what if I choose her to be on my team? Because I’m sure to be one of the captains. I can’t pick her first - that would be too obvious - but I’m thinking about second. That would throw everyone off guard. 

I’m so involved in my plot, I don’t even realize the game is over until everyone starts heading in. Mrs. Marcus gives out the score, which everyone else already seems to know. April’s team is the winner. (I called it, didn’t I?)

Everyone on the winning team gets an “A” for the day; the losing team gets “B”. That’s not fair either; my average daily grade is usually a “C”. Even a loss is a win for me.

“Hey, Genius,” Lily snarks, “can you even pretend to try?”

She’s only saying that to impress Maggie. She’s such a sycophant - and I’m sure  she probably doesn’t know the meaning of that word. I shrug and ignore her comment.

Wouldn’t you know it? There’s a spelling bee in English class. I’m one of the captains, and James is the other. We’re pretty evenly matched, and our rivalry is friendly. 

I get the first pick, and call Aaron. James - logically - names Kayla, who is another of the good spellers. I hesitate. Should I do it? 

“Maggie,” I state firmly. The whole class gapes at me, including Maggie. Mr. Webb’s face is neutral. 

Mr. Webb is tall and thin, with extremely long arms and legs. Some of the kids call him “Spider” behind his back. They think they’re clever, and they kind of are, except I’m pretty sure he knows. He might even appreciate it, being an English teacher, but he doesn’t acknowledge it.

The teams are complete, and off we go. This time, the numbers are even. Mr. Webb gives a word, uses it in a sentence to clarify, then says the word again. We’re supposed to repeat the word, then spell it.

“Sapphire. The cat’s eyes were a clear sapphire blue. Sapphire.”

“Sapphire. S-A-P-P-H-I-R-E,” I proclaim.

James flawlessly completes “Chalcedony”. Well done!

Aaron is next, with “Amethyst”. Whew - he doesn’t reverse the “E” and the “Y”.

Kayla spells “Beryl” correctly.

It’s Maggie’s turn. 

“Diamond. The diamond sparkled in the bright sunlight. Diamond.”

Maggie rolls her eyes.

“Diamond. D-I-M-”

Mr. Webb points Maggie to her seat. “Diamond” is not that girl’s best friend!

We get through gemstones and move on to elements. It’s my turn again.

“Molybdenum. M-O-L-Y-B-D-E-N-U-M.” 

We make it through Rhodium, Caesium, Antimony… Then Mr. Webb throws a curveball. Surprise.

A few of us get it and giggle; the rest look confused. 

“Surprise. Mr. Webb likes to use the element of surprise. Surprise.”

“Ohhh…”

Corey has to speak up. He has to.

“But Mr. Webb, ‘surprise’ isn’t an actual element - you know, on that chart thing? Is it?” He second-guesses himself, and looks at his teammates for confirmation.

I hear someone mutter, “Duh.”

“All right, class!” Mr. Webb claps his long hands twice - cupping them to amplify the sound - and looks sternly at us. 

“Focus. No - ” he holds up his hand to ward off any more smart mouth remarks.

“Kayla, your word is ‘surprise’”.

The distraction puts her off her game; she misses the first “r”, and goes back to her seat without prompting. She sits with her hands covering her red face, mortified. I feel her pain. I know she knows how to spell “surprise”.

I sneak a glance at the clock. Five more minutes until the cleanup bell rings. Aaron and I face off with James and Cami, who is a dark horse in this competition. It’s partly luck - she’s fairly good, and just happened to get some of the easier words.

Mr. Webb reaches into his armory and pulls out a few grenades. He lobs one at me.

“Onomatopoeia,” I repeat, feeling a little flushed. I can spell it perfectly well in my head. “O-N-O, M-A-T, O-P-O, E-I-A,” I enunciate carefully, splitting it into four equal portions and ticking each letter off on my fingers. I blow air out, puffing my cheeks.

James spells “Acquiesce” slowly, but perfectly. Three minutes until the bell…

Aaron’s word is “Innocuous”. He starts out, “I-N-”… and pauses. I can tell he’s not sure if there should be one or two Ns. I’m holding my breath. “N?” he continues, and I relax. “O-C-”… “C?” Aaron instantly realizes the second C doesn’t belong, but it’s too late. We’re finished.

It’s a formality; Aaron returns to his seat first, and I follow. He shoots me an apologetic grimace, and I shrug one shoulder nonchalantly. Mr. Webb clears his throat, bows his lanky body theatrically, and announces the obvious:

“For five points extra credit - The winners are…  James and Cami!” 

The cleanup bell rings.

A few minutes later, the final bell rings and the exodus begins. English class is last period, it’s Friday, and everyone wants to get out of there. Mr. Webb motions me over to his desk. 

“Why did you do that?”

“Do what?” I’m puzzled. I don’t think I did anything wrong…

“Pick Maggie.”

I pause, trying to figure out how to explain. Finally I shrug and answer simply,

“Fair game.”

He nods, and gives me extra credit.

March 09, 2022 08:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Amanda Lieser
03:19 Mar 12, 2022

Oh my gosh! Cindy, I really loved this piece. It took me right back to being in school. I also love how you formatted and juxtaposed the two competitions. I thought you did a great job of adding some fun words into the mix, too. My favorite part was your description of Mr. Webb. Nice job on this piece! If you have a moment, please consider reading The Sandman Ball. It was one of my favorite pieces to write. Thanks in advance!

Reply

Cindy Strube
03:44 Mar 12, 2022

Ha! Yeah, me too, obviously! (And it’s been a looong time…) I just love words! I’m thinking of reusing Mr. Webb in another story, whether here or elsewhere. I like to do that sometimes. I will certainly read The Sandman Ball- I know I haven’t read that one yet. Good to get insight on favorite stories of writers.

Reply

Amanda Lieser
23:46 Mar 14, 2022

Hi Cindy! I’ll be excited to see more of Mr. Webb’s character.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:13 Mar 11, 2022

Loved this. As an English teacher, the entire story resonated like crazy :) :) :) You are a pro with dialogue! It flowed seamlessly, authentically. Truer words never written: "PE teachers are the worst for showing favoritism. Well, that’s not really true - I guess the English teachers do it too" Yup. 100% agree

Reply

Cindy Strube
19:19 Mar 11, 2022

Aww, thanks! That’s a high honor! This one just flowed out of me. Didn’t take long to write, and I have to admit I was giggling to myself all the way through…

Reply

19:28 Mar 11, 2022

You MUST be a teacher, too?

Reply

Cindy Strube
19:47 Mar 11, 2022

Nope - Just a lifelong logophile! I love WORDS: reading, writing, language (English and others)… And I hated PE.😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:13 Mar 11, 2022

Onomatopoeia (*snicker*)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Thomas Graham
23:25 Mar 09, 2022

A fun read! The contrasting ball game and spelling bee are very relatable. The dramatic play-by-play in the bee could maybe be matched with a little more detail in the ball game - she's hot and hiding in the outfield, but maybe her dropping a ball or striking out would add to her misery and the contrast.

Reply

Cindy Strube
00:18 Mar 10, 2022

Thanks for the comment! I do appreciate your suggestion - I thought briefly about putting in more detail about the ball game… I didn’t because that part is so “me”! I wanted to be as far away as possible from small, hard, flying objects.😉

Reply

Thomas Graham
02:39 Mar 10, 2022

Ha - I suspected that! You should challenge yourself by writing 5000 words entirely about a ball game. Never mind - no need to torture yourself!

Reply

Cindy Strube
02:48 Mar 10, 2022

Maybe… My husband is a baseball fan. I would say it bores me to death, but that’s not entirely true - the names of the players are interesting!😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.