2 comments

Adventure Drama Friendship

If I could go back to that day I would believe me.Things between us would never have gotten that far with us. As tears streamed down my best friend Sara's face I instantly regretted telling her about sleeping with her husband Mark a week after they got married. Ok, I know what you're thinking but it wasn't like that let me explain what happened………….

That Friday night my ex boyfriend Jason and I had just broken up. He left me for a 21 year old I was so hurt and disgusted with myself. I called the only person who I knew would help me get through this. Grabbing my keys I ran out of the house. Sara wasn't home so I got the spare key under the mat. I grabbed a bottle of wine and laid on the couch waiting for her to call me back. Two hours and three bottles of wine later Sara finally calls to say she can't leave work and to make myself comfortable she won't be home until 8 am. Mark was suppose to be out of town for the night so I got up off the couch and got in the shower. Forgetting I didn't bring a change of clothes I decided to sleep naked for the night. He smelled so good as I cracked my eyes open. He moved his hands down my legs as my body got aroused. Drunk off my ass not thinking where I was I made love to Mark that night. Imagine my irritation when I woke up laying beside Mark naked.*************************************************

WTF I YELLED!!!!!!????? Rubbing his eyes with his hands Mark turned around and looked directly at me. What's going on Jessica where is Sara why are you in my bed? So many questions and not enough answers. We both jumped out of the bed, turning away from each other as if we were see through. Don't say a word Mark let me run through my night I said, just broken up with boyfriend Jason came here to get drunk with Sara, there was no Sara so I took a shower and laid down. Suddenly it hit me like a bolt of lighting… No I said shaking my head I thought you were Jason, and I thought you were Sara, I was so drunk because I got in early from my flight and went to the bar. Fuck!! What are we going to tell Sara? Nothing she can never no of this, looking at the clock it read 7:40, scurrying to find my clothes we promise to never speak of it again…

Years went by and we never spoke of it, yes I felt bad not saying anything but I couldn't risk losing our friendship. It was always a weird and disturbing vibe Everytime you wanted me to come to family gatherings. He looked at me from across the room with his black and grey dreads. He was wearing a black Armani suit with the creases up the leg. The sides of his mouth curved up into a smile and instantly my panties got wet. That's when I knew he was going to be my future husband. And whatever irritation I had from being at your family get together went out the window just like that. Brandon was different, he knew how to treat me like a Queen. So here we are, playing engagement games with our friends. Truth or dare Sara asked truth I replied, have you slept with anyone in this room other than your spouse? Me and Mark were the only one who took a shot to the question. All eyes were suddenly on us, my head was starting to spin. I don't know if it's from the alcohol or the fact we were busted……………*** 

Mark looked at me realizing we were about to be in deep s**t. Speak now Sara said using her angry voice with me. My nervousness got the best of me and I began telling her the secret I could no longer keep. So here we are now all together and I'm watching tears stream down my best friend's face. I bent down in front of my friend asking her for forgiveness but I could see in her eyes everything was about to change.****

HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME SHE SCREAMED!!?? Now I'm crying because I could have possibly lost my best friend. Running out the house I jumped up to run after her. We never saw it coming; it happened so fast, There was blood everywhere. Springing into action I quickly yelled for someone to call 911. For months I was sick to my stomach while u laid in that hospital bed fighting for your life after being hit by a car. My anxiety went up so bad I cancelled the engagement until you got better. Sara was so strong and courageous that she came out of the hospital walking within two months. Things have changed dramatically in our lives but the friendship is always there………..

Finally, it was a year later, and 1 hour before I walked down that alter to my loving husband. Time healed our wounds and made us better as friends over the years. Sara was still with Mark, I'm glad they worked it out because he is actually a good person. What happened between us was a mistake and will always be. Lights..camera ..action my father said. My legs wobbled while walking to the front. Relax my daddy said you're ready for this. Am I? That's the question that should be asked, relaxing my shoulders I inhaled deeply in made my way to the altar. Can anyone find the cause on why these two should not be married speak now are forever hold your peace. All hands down he preceded to talk, all I could think about is should I tell him I had an abortion with Marks child. I answered that question myself and decided never to say anything from here on out. Moments after that the revered pronounced us husband and wife.

November 19, 2020 02:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

14:45 Nov 23, 2020

It has a good plot: best friends wanting to break up after one betrays the other by sleeping with the husband. Very good. Work on dialogues. It was so hard to understand who was talking. In the long run, it's a pretty important part of the story. You didn't give it much work and it shows here. Do that and you'll see the difference in your work. Of course, we are all learning. I am too.

Reply

Ashley Patterson
21:42 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you I'll definitely work on it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.