1 comment

Contemporary Drama Fiction

The invitation dated a month earlier, sent by email, read: “Friends and kin, You are invited to join the get-together arranged at the Jubilee Hall at 10 AM on 14th October 2020 to celebrate the 502nd birth anniversary of Kupp and the lunch thereafter.(sd) Prof.ANK, secretary, Committee of Hosts.” Note enclosed with invitation: ‘ANK is an emeritus professor of Sanskrit and is the author of several books. He is widely known for his contribution to the language. He has attended several conferences on Sanskrit in many countries. He is a descendant of Kupp, and it is on his initiative that the get-together is being arranged.’ Invitees were asked to RSVP to an email address.

Come 14th October, the invitees had all gathered in the hall wearing badges displaying their names. There was an introductory address and then ANK started his speech: “Friends and kin, My hearty welcome to all of you who have even come from abroad to be here on the occasion of the 502nd birth anniversary of our forebear simply known as Kupp. I am one of Kupp’s descendants and so are many of you. This is the first time that a meet of this kind has been arranged for Kupp.

I must talk about Kupp first as some of you may not have known much about him. He was born in Tellur, a village where a famous temple stands and has found mention in one of the gazetteers brought out by the British rulers. The temple is over a thousand years old as established by epigraphers. However as the gazetteer points out, the hall constructed by Kupp about 450 years ago stands out as a monument to blending old with the new. The story of the construction of the hall is given in the book by yours truly, which has been distributed to all delegates to this get-together. I compiled it from data in a few manuscripts in the vernacular about the patriarch, as after nearly 500 years or roughly 15 generations, little evidence would remain of family history of someone who was basically a landlord and farmer. I must offer my thanks to a certain religious institution on which Kupp had lavished his money: It has allowed me to peruse its palm leaf records from which I’ve extracted contemporaneous information on Kupp. Remember footprints on the sands of time disappear fast! Photographs of the temple and of the adjunct, besides whatever was available of Kupp’s family tree have been included in the book.

Kupp was born into a family of landlords who owned vast tracts of agricultural land. He had no formal education, and whatever he knew was acquired from his parents and their associates. He was a fast learner and picked up the three Rs very quickly. By his skill in agriculture Kupp quickly made much money. He invested his money in diamonds and gold jewellery. It was in his mind to build a big hall as an adjunct to the temple, and for this he needed a large sum much beyond his philanthropic capacity. Consequently he started money collection from various sources. When he had accumulated enough funds, he sought out first class builders and artisans and motivated them to do their best to build the hall and integrate it with the temple – a very tricky task but which was done very well. The carved granite pillars of the hall are architecturally perfect and aesthetically a treat to the eyes. They also stand as testimony to the skill of the craftsmen who toiled several months to complete the task.

As work on the hall progressed, the high priest of the temple had a dream in which he said he had a vision of some valuable artefacts buried in the vicinity of the temple. After several months of digging randomly but carefully, a bronze idol of Lord Krishna was found. With it was a silver rattle- a toy - which had been intricately carved, with tiny beads set within, to make musical sounds when shaken. The rattle had been tied to the idol’s finger and is associated with divine Krishna as a baby. The idol was consecrated, but was stolen later and was never recovered. However the rattle was safe, and while the hall was being inaugurated, it was given as a present to Kupp.

Kupp was convinced that the rattle was a mascot, a talisman since after the hall was inaugurated, his wealth multiplied. Also his wife who had so far been barren, conceived and produced 8 healthy children in sequence. Four generations down, Kupp’s family had increased substantially. He shared his ample wealth with his family members. However he wouldn’t part with the silver rattle. What happened to it still remains a mystery. The popular belief is that it should be in the hands of one of Kupp’s descendants. I have provided a description of the rattle in my book copied from records of the religious institution of which Kupp was a patron.

Over 5 years, my team identified many Kupp’s descendants and has made out a family tree. In some cases DNA has been used to decide validity of descent. While organising this get-together, a few of the kin were asked about possession of the rattle, but none of those owned it. I request all who are here to check if a silver rattle which had belonged to Kupp is with them. If found and given to me, I propose to keep it in public trust as Kupp’s souvenir, and with the prayer that it should bring good luck to all of our families.

I am glad that we still recognize Kupp’s philanthropy, foresight, fund raising ability, besides eclectic choice of craftsmen, and have come together to celebrate his 502nd birthday.

 I have a list of participants who wish to say a few words on this occasion. May I request them to come and share their thoughts? Speakers, I request you to please introduce yourselves at the outset.”

The first speaker came on: “I’m Premila Thorborn from Kansas. My late mother had told me she was descended from Kupp. Of course in the family tree I figure lowdown! My mother had some ancient diamond jewellery she has left to me. She said those had come down from one of Kupp’s sons. There is however no rattle. I’m happy to be here with so many kin.”

There was applause. The next speaker was Nila Dutt. She said “I am descended from Kupp’s daughter. Nice to meet so many kin!”

And so on it went. A speaker said “I’m Chandrani from Kolkata. My husband is fanatic about tracing ancestry, and using some special software helps various friends to draw up their family trees. He told me he is descended from a 6th generation descendant of Kupp which information is shown in the book by the professor. He is now in Belarus on work and couldn’t be here though he was eager to be present. We know about the silver rattle, but it isn’t in our family.”

“I’m Ponnuswamy and live in Mauritius. My grand-parents were migrants from India. I had been told that my great-grandfather was a Kupp descendant through his grand- daughter. I had provided some records besides palm leaf manuscripts to Prof.ANK, but they were mostly unreadable due to age and bad storage. We have inherited some vintage jewellery, no doubt valuable, but no silver whistle. I’m sorry. I should’ve said rattle!”

“I’m Renu Singh and my husband is a lieutenant general in the Indian army. We’re from Bikaner. I’m a descendant of one of Kupp’s sons. I’ve a silver rattle which my infant grand-daughter plays with. I tried getting one made like it, but the silversmith said it wouldn’t be possible due to the very difficult miniature craft work involved. My grand- daughter is in the hotel with a baby sitter and the rattle is with her. It could’ve come from Kupp.”

 Speech making was interrupted as Prof. ANK excused himself and immediately went with Renu to the hotel in his car. They were back in 15 minutes and the professor displayed the rattle and said it was the one which he had been trying to trace. Several delegates took photos of the rattle. ANK said “The finding of the ancient rattle with its divine association augurs well for us all. I’ll try to recreate it and hope to make it available as a keepsake to inspire the new generation.”

The professor announced “Ladies and gentlemen, Mrs.Renu Singh had agreed to donate the rattle to me. I’m honouring her with a cheque for 100,000 rupees from my personal funds.”

Renu announced “Many thanks for the gift of money to me. I gift it in turn to Prof.ANK for appropriate use.” There was applause.

Prof.ANK said “Madam Renu Singh, many thanks for your gift. It will be properly utilised. We should plan for at least a biennial get together to remember Kupp who had created a hall with foresight as an adjunct to the temple, long before the giants of the present day. Speech making by delegates may continue.”

There were a few more speakers but nothing new was added.

 Finally the professor said “Let us now give Mrs.Renu Singh a big hand once again and join for lunch.”

 Deafening applause followed.

 ANK said ” Delegates, one more announcement! 3 luxury buses are on stand-by to take us on a guided tour of the temple after lunch. Thank you all.”

END

September 30, 2020 13:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tessa Takzikab
22:43 Oct 07, 2020

This story was a bit hard for me to get through. It's a wonderful concept, but perhaps you could have made it a bit more suspenseful? It kind of reads like a sentence. Some dead guy had a magic rattle that we want to put in a museum, then someone says they have it, and it gets donated to the museum and then the holder is compensated. Potentially, this story could be told from the holder's point of view. Oblivious to the origins of the rattle, how it brings her good luck and then what happens when she relinquishes it. The style of writing...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.