I Killed Him, You Killed Me, I'll Kill You

Submitted into Contest #99 in response to: Write a story about somebody reminiscing on an event that happened many summers ago.... view prompt

3 comments

Crime Fiction Mystery

[If this entry will be approve, and you want to read another POINT OF VIEW of this story, please read "After The Sunset, I'll Rest", that entry is also contains what happened BEFORE this story. THANK YOU!]


Ten years ago I was sitting here in the same spot I’m standing right now. I feel the heat of summer as I feel the heat of the fire of my madness as I’m reminiscing that summer.


 I was smiling while greeting my batch mates. The whole hall was filled with laughter that blends with the music. Everyone are sharing their stories and listening to each other, a perfect timing to brag their achievements after high school graduations. A perfect high school reunion.


We were sitting on the long table, where we assigned, our big banner was hung in front of our table like the others. Sam, our former class president was telling a ridiculous story about us when we are in high school, and of course some are laughing, including me, while the others groan because of embarrassment, when Sam stop and stand and wave his hand while shouting and calling our one of our former classmates.


NICO!” Everyone was looking at the direction where Nico was walking towards us. A wide smile appeared to my lips as I stand and gave him a man to man hug when he reached our table. Others are also greeting him.


Hey, man long time no see” Kennan, one of my best friend in high school greeted him and also give him a man to man hug. Nico chuckled while sitting in the chair in front of me.


Nico!” Lila from the other table, walk towards him with open arms and ready to hug him, Nico takes a stand again just to greet Lila.


Lila? I thought you’re not coming? I saw your pre-nap photos. I thought you were busy with your wedding” Nico gave her a hug and take his seat again while Lila take a seat next to him.


Oh come on, this is just one night for our reunion. I take it as a break, I was busy of school works of my students and in my wedding preparations


I bet your students finally breathe because it’s summer and they no longer see you for the next months Everyone who heard my words laugh.


How about you Nico?. We haven’t heard anything from you since our graduation” Kennan asks while drinking his beer in a glass.


Yeah, and you look—manly now. I remember in high school you were, you know, you look nobody” Lila said while eyeing him from head to toe. Nico just smiled.


Yes, I remember, when we have an assignment, they always forcefully grab your book just to copy yours” Sam has a wide smile while reminiscing that moments.


And you were a useless president who turn blind every time” Lila reply with disgust expression, but we just laugh.


How can he interject to us if he also copies his assignment even his answers in every exam?” I reply while opening my beer in can.

One of the catering chef went to Kennan and whisper something to him, and he just nodded, and the chef left.


That’s my catering head chef, we are the one who will serve food tonight, I want everything will be perfect,” he said when he notices that some of us stare at him.


Your chef did a great job, I just ate some of the food on the table and it’s delicious” Sam tells the truth I like their food.


The bragging and reminiscing continue until we heard a scream from where the restroom located. Sam takes a stand and walk toward the restroom. I also followed him while the others just stand in their seat.


People block the way so I can’t clearly see what’s happening inside. They are all curious on what happened, why we all heard a scream. I surrender at the idea that I can surpass the people in front of me, but I saw the door of the stockroom, I guess because it was written on the door. The door was located near at the buffet table, and a stockroom is always having a back door for easy access when the stocks are delivered. I enter the room and find the back door,  I felt the cold air breeze the moment I open the door. I already went out when I heard another scream, not from just one person, but from sets of people. I immediately open the door again and went inside the room and open the room connecting to the event hall. And I freeze because of the scenes in front of me. My knees become weak and almost gave up. The laughter becomes screams of pain that blends to the music, but as I stare to the people who plead for help, one by one it’s gone the screams are gone, the only sounds remained is the music from the speakers. My tears fell, the fear that I feel are still growing that I want to run away, but my body is not moving, I can’t move. WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?!.

Until the music is also gone. I turn my head towards the sound system, and I saw him walking away from the sound system and grab a chair and take his seat. I feel that my whole body becomes numb. I can’t move except my head and eyes that following his every movement.



He looks at me and gives me a wide smile that makes his eyes almost close. And in that my knees gave up and I can’t even lift up my arms, I was just looking at him, I want to ask why, but I can’t find my voice. He was comfortably seated there and smiling.


Hi!” He said while looking directly at me and I didn’t reply.


You used to be a talkative person, but why aren’t you greeting me back?” he tilt his head sideways. Then I saw a gun he’s holding then my fear rose up again, then I heard a groan because of pain. My eyes automatically find where that groan from then I saw Kennan near at the front door trying his best to lift his upper body and when he succeed he recline his back to the nearest wall.


Hi to you too” he also smiles at Kennan and Kennan look at him with misbelieved.


What have you’ve done?” Kennan said it like almost a whisper.


Oh! Did you like it? Did you two like it?” He asks like we should like what happened.


OH F*CK YOU! What have you’ve done?!” Kennan shouts and tried to stand, but he failed and clutches his stomach.


Why?” finally I found my voice. “ We welcome you here, and then you killed them?.”


You don’t like it? But why?”


ANSWER US! WHY DID YOU KILL THEM?” the anger inside rose up that give strength to my body, I stood up and grab a fork at the table near me and ready to attack him, but I stop at the middle when he laugh like he just watch a comedy film while raising the gun his holding, then he stop and look at me and Kennan seriously.


Did you two remember what you did to me in high school?” he said that while placing his gun to the chair near him.


You both accuse me that I steal your phone because I don’t have money to buy the phone to the store” , “then you” he point his finger to Kennan that manage to stand while holding the corner of the table as a support. “said that I only have five seconds to run or I’ll die that day


And now, we only have five seconds to run or you’ll kill us both?” I said when realization hit me.


HAHAHAHAHA” his laugh is like our time bomb, then our attention was snatched by the person who went out from the kitchen who was wearing a chef uniform.


What the hell?” Kennan said when he realized who that was.


Sir, it’s done,” he was talking to Nico.


Your payment is in the car, enjoy your vacation” he smile and wave his hand like it was just a normal summer vacation.


You’re my head chef” Kennan state like how a betrayed man should respond.


And you f*ck my wife” the chef almost hurriedly walks to him, but Nico stops him.


I already pay you, now leave” He said that with baritone voice, and I think chef knows that he can’t disobey Nico. He leaves the hall.


You should both thank him, you know” he said that to me and Kennan.


He followed my command when I told him to put an antidote to your drinks, but I think he’s really mad at you” he was referring to Kennan. “He put less to your drink hahahaha” I saw Kennan gritting his teeth.


As I was saying you only have five seconds,” he get up and get his gun, he stands straight.


You should move on Nico!” I said that while gathering all my strength in me.


Years had passed, we were young! I was trying to convince him, but I think it made him angrier.


YOU MOVE ON AFTER THIS!  1!” He starting to count and I know I should run because he already point the gun towards me and shifted it and point at Kennan who’s trying to stand straight, I heard a curse from him.


2!” I look at Kennan


I’m sorry Kennan” then I started to run towards to the stockroom and find the back door.


DON’T LEAVE ME HERE JEROME! JEROMEEEE!!!” I heard his scream, but I need to run, I can’t die here and not tonight.


I don’t know how, but when I reached the main road I saw the ambulance and hear their siren, it’s not just one ambulance, but five of them and behind the ambulance are the police cars. I stop running and raise my arms to call their attention “ HELP! PLEASE HELP


They stop and the ambulance let me in, they asked question, but I can’t utter a word, I am trembling because of mix emotions, fear, pain, anger, sadness and the scenes of dead body make me want to vomit. The smile of his face still marks in my head like it will be my nightmare.


After we went to the event hall the police and the ambulance personnel welcome by silence. And as I reminisce what happened a few minutes ago, I feel my strength just take away from me and I passed out.


The next thing I know I was in the hospital with handcuffs in my left hand to the hospital bed. And after a week I was sitting in front of the court defending myself.


Call the witness” the judge said and the door open showing Kennan standing like nothing happened.


My heart sank as I feel betrayed, what the hell happen?. The persecutor is starting to ask him. And in his every answer my madness wants to burst out and beat him.


He wants me to kneel to him and beg that’s why he did that, he’s already like that since high school” then I snapped.


YOU LIAR, YOU WERE THERE AND NICO WAS THERE HE DID THAT TO US, WHAT THE F*UCK ARE TALKING ABOUT” I stand and shouting at him I heard the judge and other to stop me, but I did not follow them.


YOU”RE THE ONE WHO’S LIAR. HOW CAN NICO BE THERE IF HE TOOK SUICIDE AFTER OUR HIGHSCHOOL GRADUATION BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU DID” Then shocked was visible in my face.


As my lawyer expected, I lose the case, I was sentenced to go to the prison for ten years. As they read my punishment I saw my wife embracing Kennan while Kennan looking at me.


Exactly ten years and one month today when that event happened and I was standing in the same event hall. In ten years I have no visitor expect Kennan visited me once.


 He was not Nico, he was the older brother of him, and he wants revenge. Nico took suicide after graduation because of what you did before graduation” “He wants you to suffer that most, while I lose my business. He wants you to suffer the most and he told me to make you put behind bars and he will spare my life that day


YOU TOOK AWAY MY WIFE FROM ME


Your wife has more fun with me than yours, suck it up. If you want revenge too, find him after you bailed out


You left me there, I left you here. Enjoy your next ten years here.


 That day should be perfect not until someone who was not invited came and act like a wolf who act like a grandmother of Red Riding Hood. And now I’m free, I Killed Him, You Killed Me, I'll Kill You.





June 22, 2021 02:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Karl Malone
14:42 Jul 02, 2021

It is a great story but the grammar and writing is not so good, the sentences are a bit staggered and it's written as if you are just learning the English language but well done you are a very talented story teller.

Reply

Cheriel Ann Pael
05:37 Jul 03, 2021

Thanks for reading and paying attention to the story construction. One of my goals in this story is to use superficial English words because I noticed in another entry that there are writers whose English grammar is not as clean, it's for them to easy to understand and imagine this story, but I guess I'm not that good enough to make my story alive. I'll take your comment in mind. Thank you very much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cheriel Ann Pael
14:40 Jun 23, 2021

Please leave a comment when you read this story. I want to improve my writing skills, and it will happen if you leave a comment, I won't mind if it's a harsh comment, it will help me to improve my writing skills. THANK YOU.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.