15 comments

General

"Ahh! I'm late again." screamed Harry from the bathroom. Harry was so late that he skipped his breakfast and rushed into the car and started driving to his office. The car was given by the office to him for his comfort. He loved the car so much that he always cleaned it. The very day, there was a special programme that he had to attend exactly at 10a.m. It was already 8:30a.m. and he had to reach the office and then drive to attend the programme. He reached his office within 30 minutes and soon the work in his office was finished. The time was already 9:30 a.m. He was so excited to attend the special programme but he was late again. The average time to reach the place was about an hour. But unfortunately, half an hour was left. He was unhappy. He had not eaten anything so he was very hungry. He knew that now it was late to attend the programme. He decided not to go there but have breakfast and relax. He went to a restaurant and ate some pancakes and a cup of coffee. He was feeling better now. Harry returned to his house, sat on the couch for sometime and started doing the remaining work of his office. Just then, his colleague James called him for some help in the office work. The two people were working on the same project. The project was about the lifestyle of classic people around the world. James was a curious person and a good friend of Harry. He was frank but serious as well. Harry helped James through the answerphone. The day was quite good.

Next day, James arrived at Harry's house in the morning for the completion of project. These two were known as the " supportive partners" in the office. The work was completed in a short time so, they had enough time to talk and have breakfast. It was Friday. The two friends went to the library and spent some time. While returning back, they saw an old box at one end of the road. The box looked quite classical. They were very curious to open the box. No doubt their project was on the same topic so they decided to take the box home. The box was near to the dustbin. Harry grabbed the box in his hand. The box was very heavy that he needed the help of James to carry it. These two friends went home and tried to open the box. The lock of the box was traditional. They didn't know how to open it. At the same time, they were very tired so, they left the box in the store room and got back to their normal works. James left for home at about 8:00p.m. and reached soon.

The next morning, Harry went to meet his parents. His parents lived far from him in the countryside. The soothing breeze, greenery, peaceful environment was just enough to refresh the mind. Harry spent about 2 days there and returned to his own place. James also went for short vacation with his school friends. In course of time, they forgot about the classical box that they had found. Time passed by....... 3 months were already gone. The friendship between the two friends was quite weak now. James left the work in the office and started his own business. Harry worked in the same office. These two friends would meet on holidays if possible. One day, Harry and James were together when they saw a little box carrying a huge box. The box looked as the same classical box they had found few months ago. This reminded Harry of the classical old box. He was so excited to open the box. Harry decided not to tell about the box to James. That evening harry went to home, took out the box from store room and kept in the living room. He tried to open the huge box but failed again and again. He was very tired. He called an locker expert to open the box. That particular person also couldn't accomplish the task. Harry became hopeless about the box.

Next morning Harry went to James house and told everything he had done the day before. He apologized for his selfishness. James was quite happy to hear that Harry spoke the truth finally. Then the two partners moved towards harry's house to open the box. Theytried their best but couldn't open it. The traditional box looked very creepy and mysterious. They were excited but scared at the same time. They called the experts, manufacturers of lockers, and even the thieves to open the lock. The lock was made from some unique metal which was very hard. No one could open that mysterious thing. So, the box went to the store room once again.

After about 2 weeks, Harry's parents decided to visit harry's place and spend time with him. Harry was pleased to see his parents. James also wanted to visit harry so, he also came to harry's place the same day. The people enjoyed a lot the very day. It was late night to return to home so, James also tried to stay at harry's house. That night, something tragical happened. Harry's neighbours' house was on fire. The reason behind that incident was unknown. The store room was nearby to the neighbour's house. Harry, his parents and James went to the store room to see if something was wrong. Nothing was wrong but Harry's parents found something. It was none other than the mysterious old box. They asked Harry and James about the box. The friends told the long story about the box to the parents. Once the story was told, the parents started laughing. Harry and James had no clue why they were laughing. The parents innocent face now looked very strange. Harry asked his parents,"Why are you people laughing?" James was totally unknown of the current situation. The fact was that, the box was left by Harry's parents in the lane. The box was wooden and old so, the parents decided to throw it. They filled it with garbage and made it very heavy. The vehicle which used to come on a daily basis for picking the waste didn't pick the box. But the boys found that box mysterious and couldn't open it. At last, there was total silence for few minutes. And to tell the fact to the two friends, parents said,"Can you keep a secret?"

August 21, 2020 13:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

12:02 Aug 28, 2020

A lovely and amusing story. Well done!

Reply

Shikshya Paudel
12:25 Aug 28, 2020

It means a lot! Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
08:29 Aug 30, 2020

The twist was awesome. I enjoyed your story. Well written for a first story. Keep writing and welcome to Reedsy. Waiting for your next.... Would you mind reading my new story "The adventurous tragedy?"

Reply

Show 0 replies
D. Jaymz
04:25 Aug 29, 2020

An interesting story. Well done 👏

Reply

Shikshya Paudel
02:11 Aug 30, 2020

Thankyou!

Reply

D. Jaymz
02:25 Aug 30, 2020

You're welcome 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Karin Venables
15:30 Aug 28, 2020

I love the twist at the end. I'll bet the parents wondered where the box went when it had been left behind by the garbage pick up service. You need to break up those long paragraphs a bit, it helps readers keep the flow or the story going. I had to learn to do that too. You also need to learn how to make compound sentences by using if, and, but, and or to join to phrases together. Most of your sentences are short and simple which isn't a bad thing most of the time, but it makes for choppy reading. You need to vary the length of yo...

Reply

Shikshya Paudel
03:46 Aug 29, 2020

Thankyou for your advice. Of course,I'll try to improve the things that you figured out. This will help me a lot in my second story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:57 Aug 28, 2020

This is good, you did a great job with it. i'm not sure though if you were ever wanting advice in these, all i have to say is that you should keep making some more stories. i'm going to give this a 10/10

Reply

Shikshya Paudel
12:27 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you so much! I'll keep trying to make more stories. I actually need some advice because I want to be a good writer and improve my writing skills more.

Reply

B. W.
13:21 Aug 28, 2020

i can try to help you with more advice from time to time maybe if you want but it's gonna be bad. no problem ^^

Reply

Shikshya Paudel
14:15 Aug 28, 2020

Ready to hear from you! You can give me some advices regarding your experience about writings and stuff!

Reply

B. W.
14:21 Aug 28, 2020

I really don't see anything wrong with it, maybe you shouldn't use the actual numbers like "2 weeks later" and instead "two weeks later" thats something someone told me a little while ago. Maybe you could try to space it out a little bit more because even with that small space between some of them its still all kind of together and could maybe be hard to read with some other people? It's still a 10/10 for me though at least, you just need to get better at a few small thing's and then it would be fine. like i said i'm not really that good at ...

Reply

Shikshya Paudel
03:54 Aug 29, 2020

I read all your stories. I found them really interesting. And ya! Thank you for your advice I'll try to improve the mistakes you figured out. I'll improve those things and make my next story better than this.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.