Let's Play Phasmophobia- On The Other Side

Written in response to: Write a story from a ghost’s point of view.... view prompt

0 comments

Horror Funny Teens & Young Adult

My life was now a living hell.

I had died at a friend’s house on Edgefield Road and now I was stuck here. And worst of all they liked to keep their place warm and toasty. I hated warm and toasty.

In life I had had a high body temperature so to contradict the heat in the house I made it colder. But now I was stuck making everything around me really cold. So when I walked into a room the family knew I was there. It did get less and less potent as time passed but I still hated the heat no matter how long time passed. I'd usually hang out in the basement, it was colder down there.

Worse than the heat was the boredom. I was so bored. I’d open and close doors, move things, and play with lights to spook people out at first but when the family left the house I just couldn’t deal anymore.

Do ghosts even get depressed?

But apparently fun was on the way.

My entertainment came in the form of a big van with four people; three men and one woman.

Their names were Impulse, Skizz, G, and Gem and I think they were here to find me. They certainly acted like it. They tested the basement, which is the coldest place in the house and my favorite room. They had a friendly debate which ended with Impulse being teased about not being hot since he was the only one who could actually get the thermometer to go below zero Celsius.

I apparently gave them "clues" and "check marks" when I walked through salt, moved doors and Impulse took a picture of me on the stairs. They weren't able to get anything on their “Spirit Box” or their “Dots” They never got level five EMF but apparently heard something on the contraption that they called the “Parabadoctical”.

In life, I'd hated to be scared but I'd loved watching those ghost-hunting shows or the shows where someone talks about their house being haunted. Unfortunately, I was now on the other side of those shows and it sucked. But now someone was trying to find me it was so interesting and this was the most fun I'd had in years.

There was a moment when Skizz brought down an incense and “smudged”, I didn't like the smell of it. In fact, it made me feel all slow and kinda blinded me for a bit. What he wanted to accomplish with that I wasn't sure.

They said some weird things like “The game is broken.” or “Not a Phantom.” and even “Is this a Mare?” I didn't get what they were talking about and all their talk about temperatures was getting a little old and a little boring after a while.

After Gem had confirmed that the temperature went up in her hand there was laughter and they teased Impulse about not being hot, which I would beg to differ. He was attractive. Well, a little. Maybe a bit stiff and he looked like Mark Zuckerberg but he was calm and seemed nice. I heard him sniff and say “That hurts my feelings.” but a second later heard a faint chuckle from him.

I stood in the doorway, looking at him holding the thermometer, he walked through me into the storage room and then went back to grab the EMF box that was beeping and literally stood where I was standing. Impulse got their video camera, came in for a bit, and then left.

I wanted to mess with them a bit so I tried to close the door. It worked, I closed the door to the storage room. Not slamming it but just closing it completely. Then I opened it a bit cause I didn't like it completely closed.

G walked over with a glow stick and looked at the door like he was looking for something. Then Impulse came in with the video camera to look for “orbies” as he called them. After moving around he left and I heard them all leave the basement.

I was a little disappointed, to be honest. I'd had lots of people try to “find” me, but none as strange and oddly entertaining as these four. Maybe instead of letting them bore me, I should have a little fun with them. After all, it's not like they were planning on sticking around right?

I went upstairs and all I could find was G in the garage. I felt really disappointed. The lights began to flicker and G ran for the lockers but turned around and headed for the front door saying, “It's just an event.”

I sighed and just walked from the basement to the hall. Back and forth until they came back into the house again.

They all came in and gathered in the hall at the top of the stairs. They chatted for a while, G said he could see his breath in the hallway, maybe because I was standing right there with them? But when the boys went down to get the thermometer the temperature went up in the hallway.

Skizz mentioned that it was freezing temperatures in the basement. I'm not sure how their temperature system works but I usually hang out in the basement so if that's what they're testing for then that's probably why it's freezing down there but they can see their breath when I'm around.

I wondered why they were just hanging out talking about things like “door touches” and “temps” and “seeing breath” even if the ghost had “turned off the fuse box” in the garage. It all seemed like useless garble to me.

Skizz came in and out of the house from their van while G and Impulse were talking. He put a lantern in the hallway by the living room. I thought that it looked kinda old-school but that it was pretty in its own way. Gem, who would not leave the front doorway, asked what he was doing and Skizz simply said they hardly use them, they're fancy candles and can be like a landing strip. He put a total of four lanterns in the house, the first by the living room, the second by the kitchen, the third by the mud room, and the fourth by the piano.

Impulse seemed more interested in the fuse box, he even asked Gem to listen for “EMF” on it. While he was playing with that, both Skizz and G went down to the basement and apparently, they were no longer hot because they both agreed that they had “freezing temps” in the basement.

I shrugged and walked across the basement, I was so done with all this cold and hot temperature stuff, it wasn't fun at all.

Just as Impulse got done explaining about some “Shade” thing, G “confirmed” that they had “freezing temps”. Annoyed I closed the door to the storage room and chased G up the stairs. Enough about temperatures already! I wanted to scream. But I'm a ghost, so...

All that did, apparently, was give them all more to talk about. While the lanterns flickered G and Impulse stood at the top of the stairs to the basement and talked about whether or not “it was a Shade” while Skizz and Gem did the same thing over the radio inside the van. It was so boring listening to them talk I wanted them to do something. Do something interesting.

The lights flickered for a moment and became still, I guessed it was my irritation that caused it but Impulse and G acted almost like they hadn't seen it. They started talking about how they needed a “hunt” I didn't understand it and I got even more frustrated that they were being boring.

Suddenly I was transported downstairs and on top of the crucifix in the basement. All the lights had gone out and as I made my way upstairs. Impulse was turning the lights back on, G went downstairs for the “cruci” and Skizz called out that he found a decent hiding spot. Were we going to play hide n' seek?

I was excited, finally, they were going to play with me. I went downstairs and began to count; one, two, three, I counted a good amount all the way to twenty then called out “Ready or not here I come.” I walked up the stairs and into the kitchen, where they'd talked about a hiding spot. Then into the garage, where there were lockers they could hide in. One wouldn't open.

I decided next I'd check upstairs, they could be hiding in one of the rooms or the closets of the rooms upstairs. I checked the few rooms and the bathroom off the landing but couldn't find them. I walked back downstairs and stood by the front room, ooh they were good. I'd concede this round to them.

Just as I conceded that round all the lights downstairs went off and after a second I heard Impulse come out and say “Hunts over”

So they were hiding downstairs. I'll get them next time.

They started talking again, this time outside the house. Skizz hadn't come out from his hiding spot but he was talking on the radio. I watched as they talked about my footsteps, about how they were fast and then slow and then fast again. They talked and talked and by the end of it they all kind of agreed it was likely a “Hantu” What even is a Hantu?

“If this is a Hantu,” G said, “It's the laziest Hantu I've ever seen.”

I didn't like being called lazy, as they were obviously talking about me. I'd show them how lazy I was. I closed my eyes and started counting one, two, three, four, all the way to ten, “Ready or not here I come.” I mean I just had to find Skizz, he was the only one inside. How hard could this be?

I was immediately transported into the kitchen, I was sure he was upstairs because I'd checked everywhere downstairs and he wasn't there so I immediately went upstairs. I checked the couple of other rooms I hadn't checked and felt what they were talking about, I felt like I could move faster where it was colder but where it was warmer I felt like I was moving slower.

I went back downstairs because I couldn't find him upstairs. I went to check the kitchen again, but nothing, then the garage since apparently I'd missed G when I checked last time. Skizz wasn't there. “I give up.” I huffed.

The lights all went out again and I walked out into the hall and waited to see where Skizz had been hiding, surely he'd come out now. When the boys came back in and Gem guarded the door Skizz stood up from behind the bookshelf in the mudroom.

I stamped my foot in frustration, that's where he was? I may have been frustrated that I couldn't find him but that hide n' seek was so fun. The best fun I'd had in years.

I gave them a little time to talk about their plan of attack, and let G and Impulse come into play too. Gem wouldn't, I already knew she just wanted to stay inside the van. I went into the laundry room and gave them some time, counted to ten, then “Ready or not here I come!”

I came out and went straight for the garage I peeked into one of the closed lockers and saw that it was Impulse. I kinda wanted him to win so I didn't get him. Instead, I walked around the garage and went in search of Skizz and G. Impulse was in the garage and G couldn't hide here too so he had to be somewhere else.

So I walked out and upstairs but after a bit, I could tell no one had been up here but me. UGH, they were too good at this. Again all the lights on the main level turned off and I was giddy, I was having so much fun.

Unfortunately, they all left the house and were listening to some sort of beat thing, and all unanimously agreed that “it was either a Hantu or a Relevant.” I was glad that we got all that out of the way, could we please get back to our game now?

Impulse and Skizz came back in and I was so excited. I gave them time, counted to ten again, and then “Ready or not here I come!” I was transported to the basement and walked up the stairs. I went back to check and Skizz was hiding in the same spot. “Oh common!” I said getting angry and let out an upset grunt.

After a moment Skizz simply said, “That was terrifying.”

“Just an event?” G clarified.

I was frustrated cause they weren't playing the game like they were supposed to. I stood in the hall by the stairs and the living room so they could all see me and just stood there while their flashlights flickered and they all were baffled. “Now play the game!” I said frustrated and disappeared.

They were all confused, especially Impulse. I wanted to play with them and be their friend, especially Impulse and Skizz, they seemed like cool dudes, but I can't play with you if you don't play the game right!

After a bit, all the lights went off and I heard Impulse over someone's radio “Oh no. I done did it.” Impulse always turning on lights had tripped the breaker. I chuckled, I didn't know where he was so I was gonna go and laugh at him but I had to find him. I was by the front door so I walked back to check the garage and the breaker, and sure enough, it was off.

I remembered seeing him go upstairs so I made a v-line straight for the upstairs. I checked the baby's room and the bathroom before I just stood there, thinking. Where could he be? After a bit he came out, hugging the wall, and walked straight to the garage to turn the breaker back on.

I teleported downstairs for some reason but I went right upstairs to check that Impulse wasn't up there. This time I checked everywhere, and I could cruise too, I was booking it. I remember Impulse turned the breaker on so maybe it was just cold upstairs. I came back downstairs and threw a cup while I was at it. Maybe he was still in the garage.

I checked the kitchen and the mud room, just in case, “Hello?” Impulse called. I rolled my eyes, silly Impulse, you aren't supposed to make sounds while I'm looking for you. Nonetheless, I headed straight to the garage I got through the doorway and kicked aside the glue gun when all the lights went off.

I'd found him after all. It's not like I was gonna hurt him or anything. I'm not that kind of ghost. Impulse lit his “incense” and swung it as he walked right through me and headed for the front door. “It just had line of sight and didn't speed up I think it's Hantu.”

The incense made me stop and cough. It smelled awful. I turned and went to see what they were doing next if we were doing another round of hide n' seek or if we were doing a different game. By the time I got to the front door G was walking over and pushed some buttons on a keypad by the door of their truck that started closing the doors while I could only see a corner of Impulse's head.

I just stood there as the truck drove off and I felt lonely all over again. Now who was going to play with me? Now who was going to hang out and entertain me while I was just stuck here in this lame house? I closed the front door and went to “sit” on the couch. Back to my boring afterlife.


October 28, 2023 03:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.