0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Sad

Good, Evil, and Neutral are all very different alignments of morality. I never perfectly identified with any of them. I am neither the type of person to go out of my way to be mean to people nor am I one to let people walk all over me either. I think in a way Neko feels similarly, but Isaac unfortunately is too young to understand such Nuance. Before I get too ahead of myself, I suppose an Introduction is in order. You can call me Adam the Forsaken. I am a two-tailed cat boy who found a book of death and inadvertently played a part in starting a war against the human race or at least the parts of it that didn’t align with my way of living.

Since time is short, I suppose I ought to get you caught up to speed as to how this all happened. I was your typical bullied kid who unfortunately didn’t just take it without making a huge scene of things. They called me a delinquent they called me mentally disturbed and they even tried to control me with medication. Quackery it is, there isn’t enough focus pills in the world that will prevent me from seeing my ambitions through to the bitter end and I never lose. This world has grown soft and is a far cry from being what nature intended, and that is just fine except all that primal rage has to go somewhere.

Despite the hand I’d been dealt I am more than happy to share in my successes with those who do not oppose me, but just as easily as I do, you could find yourself wishing you were never born if you so much as think of opposing me. Without going into too graphic of details you could say I toy with my prey make them beg for death and eventually grant it to them, I am a cat after all albeit an anthropomorphic one. You might think I am a villain or evil in this sense, and maybe you wouldn’t be wrong except for the fact I have to be provoked before I go that far, so maybe a Chaotic-Neutral would be more fitting. As for now I sense Neko is on his way over as we speak, we have met once before though that was before he took it upon himself to heal Isaac, regardless he’d best not get in my way. Speak of the devil I hear him knocking now.

Adam went to the door and answered it his dark hair and black and white twin tails swayed slowly as he confronted the blond hair blue eyed cat boy somewhat hostile.

The following is in the perspective of Neko the Inventive Wanderer as he calls himself.

I approached the gothic castle home of the two tailed cat boy who from the sounds of things was monologuing again. What does he think this is some sort of Theatrical Performance or something? I digress I am loathed to bother someone of his alignment, but I don’t have a choice, my true enemy in all this Emperor Destroy Yu, can copy anything I make, but he doesn’t know magic, so if it is true such a force exists, I will need to make my peace with Adam. The cat boy answered the door looking at me angrily. Did I wake him up? Did he know what I did for Isaac? I didn’t want him to get in our way so I thought by giving him something to lose by curing his Ty Sachs disease so he could live whether he did what his late parents or tribe told him or not. Did I really betray him when I did that?

“What do you want?” He snarled at me.

“Adam, you and this entire world are in grave danger.” I warned.

He laughed at me, “Grave Danger? Me? That’s rich.”

“This is serious!”

“Look around you all that passed away here is mine to control, take your dirty machines back from whence you came and your Saturday Morning Villain too.”

“Would love to but he can copy anything I make; I need your help.”

“My help? I don’t do nothing for no one unless they are one of us.”

“Surely you could use a few advanced food preservation devices on account of all the groceries you now have access to upon taking over these cities.”

“I’ll take my chances, but know this if anyone and I mean anyone lays siege to my territory, it will be their last!”

“Oh, I count on it.” I smiled as I now had a plan to lure my enemies here so he’d have to help me though I’d have to be careful not to hit anything of his myself.

Now let’s check in on Isaac.

I just don’t know what to do about any of this. Only four years old and I’m pitted up against a ten-year-old that has brutally killed so many or so I am told. I just don’t get it what makes me so special that I have to be the Hero? Moreover, I’m grateful to Neko for curing me, but he told me not to oppose him or any of his allies. This is a tough situation. If I do nothing, this whole world could be destroyed, but if I oppose them, I will surely die. Is this truly a world worth dying for in its current state or should I go against my mission and let it die? I mean it took everyone I cared about my mom my dad… Amid my monologuing I feel my orange tabby cat brush up next to me. I almost forgot to mention I can talk to animals and insects, but they can be a lot more vulgar than some might think.

“Hey numb-nuts get your mind out of that dark space and pet me.”

I pet my little kitten softly despite how rude he is. I love Alfador he is such a soft kitty and probably the last one left in my life that will always be here. I don’t know what I’ll do if he dies. Moreover, I’ve made some friends, but if I’m not careful this situation could turn them against me too. They don’t understand the seriousness of the situation. It is not about me or any of them, we’re but soldiers in a war none of us asked to fight. Soon the showdown will begin and I shudder to have to hurt anyone much less kill them. I guess I don’t have to kill him as long as I’m able to exorcise the undead Adam controls. Then again, he won’t just let me do that knowing he’d be easily killed if I did. I’m not a mind reader, but I have done my reading on him and the mission I’m to complete. This entire battle was supposedly predicted thousands of years ago. I don’t know how much I believe it, but it appears as much. We all have our troops but if not for my light and protection magic my entire faction would be creamed without much effort. I have to be mindful of such.

Moreover, there are other factions besides ours involved in this for other reasons and it’ll be quite messy to try and sort out who is on our side or we can in good faith protect. Regardless I have a bad feeling about tomorrow and about Emperor Destroy Yu, but if no one else will help me do what needs to be done, I may have to suck it up and team up with him even if he may very well be someone of opposite alignment to get my foothold. I don’t think he has a motive for why he does, just excuses he makes. Regardless I’m here for one thing only and no one told me how to do it or not to do it. I will deal with the fallout after I’ve rid the world of undeath. If Adam kills him and raises him as undead, I’m toast, so I have to take care of Adam first by any means necessary.

And so, Dawn approached and sure enough Neko and Emperor Destroy you were exchanging blows with each other’s machines, Isaac took advantage of the situation to confront Adam by attacking his castle despite one of his friends urging him not to as they had turned to his side.

“Isaac Don’t do it, you misunderstand he is here so we can be free!”

“Buck don’t get in my way; he cannot control that dark power forever.”

No sooner had I knocked on deaths door or consecrated it rather than Emperor Destroy Yu turned on my friend and shot him point blank in the skull with his arm canon.

“As touching as this was, he was a liability in the plan.”

“Damn you Destroy Yu this wasn’t part of the plan.”

“You are a weakness in my plan, but I’m sure Adam will finish you off soon enough. We’re Done Here!”

Emperor Destroy Yu escaped to his island base and took it to the sky. While we turn the perspective back to Adam for this portion of the fight.

Who dares bring light to my lair? I look outside to see the human Isaac. He should never have come here for as I said in the beginning of this story, I do not take kindly to those who oppose me, but I know he won’t just die like the many other humans who have come before me. I will have to beat him up some before I can hope to do that, wear out his magic and be careful for he can put my undead to rest. I trust the living in my ranks can match wits with his faction members well enough. I heard the sound of doors open.

“Hello human I can see it in your eyes tis me you oppose; however, I should warn you not a single person who has come against me has ever lived to tell of it. I have been waiting for this day for so long.”

Isaac pounded his staff into the ground sending several earths spikes my way, but I jumped aside.

This is really going to be fun I’ve never met an opponent who could possibly match me magically. I snapped my fingers and the candle lights flicked on to reveal an army of undead behind me. As some of them began casting darker elemental attacks similar to his but radiated a dark aura as they were launched, he dodged pretty well for one so young, but I have him on the run now. In the blink of an eye, I appear behind him and grab him with one of my two prehensile tails and bash him on the ground. Despite seeming to enjoy this, it very much brings back haunting memories of how my siblings beat me up and yelled mom’s not here!

“Mom’s not here kid!”

The human child mewed which was a bit surprising since his face was worse for the wear with how I’d bashed him around. Before I knew what had happened an orange cat popped out of his bag and clawed my face forcing me to drop him and I pulled the cat off me as it ran away. Weakly he got up and he cast some sort of rain of light spell which send light raining down upon me and I could feel the sting as the darkness within me was clinging to me. This is no good I have to kill him I cannot let him exorcise me or my minions. Without my command my dead began striking and clawing at him and others kept casting spells on him. Now that he was struggling to get up, he couldn’t dodge them. I had him I would surely kill him he had nothing I couldn’t suddenly I felt a sharp pain to the back of my head. I look behind me and one of his faction members dared come to his aid. Before I could get up and retaliate one of my living Forsakenists grabbed them and began beating them up with a mix of dark spells and physical attacks.

“Don’t worry about them we’ll handle them Master. Hiel Forsaken!”

In the confusion Isaac cast a healing spell on himself and I cast a darker one on myself. Seems we’re at quite the impasse indeed. For every spell he uses I have one to match it. However, it seems neither of us are particularly good at physical attacks. Time for a special attack that he couldn’t possibly copy. My two tails grabbed a pair of short blades. I got into pouncing position and pounced right over him which was seemed to surprise him until I slashed away at him from behind me with my two tails. He was critically wounded but then shapeshifted into some sort of multielement being. One of his limbs was made of fire, the other of earth, another of water, and the other was transparent and decidedly air. Meanwhile the rest of his body seemed to take on combinations of the sort as well but in perfect balance. That’s it balances if I can extinguish just one of his elemental pieces it’ll short out the form. As I thought this, I received a rather rocky kick to the face. I death gated down to the sewers and tackled him down sure enough his fire limb was flickering from touching the sewage water. He cast a fire spell on me in desperation and I was on fire and took quite a bit of damage and though I was on fire I wasn’t giving up.

“I’ll kill you if it’s the last thing I do!”

Suddenly my words turned into a hate beam from the mouth. He seemed incapacitated but when I went to pick him up, he hit me with a light beam. There we lay until the hate buildup from all the fallen and the hope of those who fought valiantly forced us to take a non-corporeal form and essentially become the essence of light and dark. Right about then an evacuation was taking place of the so-called innocents to a special planet set up for this. My guess is they were going to blow up the planet and I was right.

Unfortunately, the source of what would blow it up came from several galaxies away so I blew Neko back home literally thinking it was him that was going to do it. I couldn’t let anything take away what I’d worked so hard to achieve.

In the end though both Isaac and I killed each other in our noncorporeal forms and earth was reborn. All the people who opposed each of us except Isaac and his faction were killed off. I came to find out that our destiny wasn’t to extinguish either light or dark but instead to restore balance to both sides. Yeah, pretty anticlimactic, but in truth having too much of one or the other could be too much to handle. Still, it is nice to know my life had any purpose at all. But what does one do after the main campaign is over? I never really excelled at school and without my powers I’m just a two-tailed cat. I suppose time will tell what my next chapters of life hold.

August 05, 2021 20:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.