Rob The Recluse

Submitted into Contest #97 in response to: Write a story in which a window is broken or found broken.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

1.

“Where is that god damn remote!”

Asking questions when no one is there to answer. Muttering to thin air like she is coming back. Pathetic. May had been gone 15 years and I still blame myself every day for it. If anyone heard my ranting, including May they would think I had gone mad and maybe I had. My deep and croaky voice shocked me sometimes, I remembered it to be charming back in my youth, now I sound like a shrewd old man, which I suppose I am.

2.

Outside my window, I see my overgrown garden. The trees and grass hide the house from the street. May and I bought this house for us to retire in, it was a quaint looking cottage in a village just 5 miles southeast of Wellingborough. I always pictured us here for what was going to be the rest of our lives and for May it was. The house was beginning to deteriorate, and I had absolutely no desire to do anything about it. It kept the nosey neighbours away. Stopped them from seeing in the windows and wondering what “what I was up to these days,” I can hear their whispers from the street.

 Next store is Simon, a dear friend all those years ago. I drove him away on the 4th time he came over to give me yet another home cooked shepherd’s pie. I just could not. All the pleasantries. I needed to grieve alone. They all seemed to get the message when I stopped leaving the house once and for all.

 3.

Sunday rolled in and I was sitting in the same armchair May always would. She would talk while she knitted. How I missed her high-pitched laugh and her in-ability to cook anything but a fried egg.

 Hearing the children play out on the street, bikes raced up and down and footballs were kicked around.

“May would have loved this. Hell. She probably would have gone out and played with them.”

Sinking back into the chair even further I realised my muttering again.

4.

“I feel bad for the guy”

“Do you hear what they are calling him these days”

“Rob the Recluse. I know it’s terrible Joe, don’t let the kids get wind of it”

Living across the street with their three kids, Ellen and Joe were there the night of the accident, seeing Rob arrive home, hands across his chest, looking half dead himself. They had adored May.

 Ellen tried to reach out but only felt the more she did the more Rob resented her. They knew Rob blamed himself for the car crash, he was the one driving. But it sure as hell was not his fault that the “bastard” drunk driver crashed straight into the side of the car. It could have been anyone.

5.

The sun was breaking through and Ellen and Joe were out on their morning stroll. Walking past Rob’s house, Ellen could not help but peer inside. She knew it was an invasion of privacy, but she was fascinated to see what had become of a once such beautiful home. She caught a glimpse of Rob, asleep in his armchair, his wild facial hair as ungroomed as ever. He was fully clothed and had obviously fallen asleep where he had been perched all day. Her heart felt heavy, she could not bear look any longer, walking away, Joe’s arm around her, squeezing her shoulder tightly.

On their way home in a rush to get back to make Sunday pancakes for the kids, they approached Rob’s house. Suddenly wails for help could be heard. Ellen darted over to the window seeing Rob limp on the floor gasping for air and clutching his chest,

“JOE, 999 NOW, NOW, HEART ATTACK, HE IS HAVING A HEART ATTACK”

Joe fumbled for his phone rapidly pressing the keys, Ellen ran up to the window banging and yelling.

 “Rob! It is okay, help is coming!”

Not able to bear staying outside any longer, Joe got off the phone with the ambulance and with adrenaline pumping through his veins, he smashed through Rob’s window with a rock. Climbing through and cutting himself on glass he unlocked the door from the other side for Ellen. Once inside Ellen kept trying to communicate with Rob, he was beginning to go in out and out consciousness.

6.

The sound of the ambulance was a welcomed one and Rob was whisked away on a stretcher and surrounded by paramedics. With a pounding heart Ellen felt faint herself.

“please god, I hope he’s okay”

Three days past. Rob had just about recovered. Ellen and Joe had been calling the hospital daily to see if he was okay and when he was getting out and they were damned sure to be there to give him a lift home.

7.

Rob set foot in the car; an awkward silence filled the air. He seemed embarrassed. Ellen began chatting away to break the ice and suddenly and unfamiliar voice appeared.

“I’m really sorry for putting you out like this”

Ellen turned back and took his hands in hers,

 “Rob, we have missed you. It’s a shame it took this for you to come back to us.”

Rob let a gentle smile and the words seemed to start flowing again.

8.

Stepping inside Rob’s home they were this time able to take notice of the interior around them, dishevelled would have been a kind way to put it.

Something peculiar struck Ellen’s eye. A wall full of letters, Rob went stiff and on guard.

“Rob what are these?”

“They are, um. Letters; letters to May.”

“I’ve written one each day to her since she has been gone”

His eyes went red and began to well, and Ellen embraced him with tears in hers too.

Rob looked up to the letters,

“I think I have written my last letter; you know.”

“Is that so?”

“May wouldn’t want me like this, wasting my life away., acting as though she is still here. She would want me out there doing the things she missed out on.”

Looking at each other with the same twinkle in their eye,

“Well. Welcome back Rob, you never did suit the reclusive life.”

June 11, 2021 10:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.