Diverted

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: End your story with someone saying “I do.”... view prompt

44 comments

Fiction

Marla toyed with the doily-shaped napkin, turning it over in her slim hands while she waited for the event bartender to mix her old-fashioned. To say it was an event was an understatement. It was the wedding of the year. She laid it flat on the bar counter, running her fingers over the edges that felt like Braille. In the center of the napkin were embossed the names of the bride and groom, a perfect flow of calligraphy, a time stamp of love and largesse. The bartender, Alex, set her drink on top of the future Burns' decorative napkin, giving her a wink which was meant to inspire a generous tip. She winked back halfheartedly, dejected by her circumstances of being solo. Fumbling for some errant dollar bills, she placed them in a fanned-out sprawl, reminiscent of a casino dealer but intended to highlight her generosity. All she really wanted was for him to keep pouring them, especially since the wedding hadn't started. One hour to go. She needed to be drunk to endure the nuptials.


She had met the groom, Dan, on a flight ten years earlier, a random encounter. Running through the concourse at Hartsfield, she had barely made it to the gate before the last call. She found her seat quickly, the only empty one, and fidgeted with the seatbelt. A flight attendant interrupted her boisterous wranglings with the latch, inviting her to move to the exit row. A passenger had decided they were ill-equipped to handle the responsibilities of extra leg room. It was the first win of that ill-fated day. The second win was seeing Dan, sitting erect in his seat, pretending to be all absorbed in his kindle. She noticed his averted gaze as he took a peek at her cleavage. A nondescript smile passed over his lips, fleeting but detectable. She liked the looks of him with his short cut brown hair, hints of freckles on his aging face, his slender nose and lips that were as inviting as they were alluring. She held her breath, scared to break the silence.


Knowing she couldn’t hold her breath the entire flight, she mustered the courage for a question, an innocent inquiry, “What are you reading?”


He glanced over, sitting up straighter, arranging his body in a more open stance, “Nothing now,” and he smiled, looking at her in a way that she had always wanted to be the recipient.


During their journey to Philadelphia, they touched on every subject, at least all of the forbidden ones. He cajoled her for her Marxist leanings. She responded with a vociferous shaking of her head, her blonde hair falling out of the soft upsweep she had contrived with a too big hairclip.


“No, no, I gave up all of my leftist ideology after my internship with the Democratic party. It was filled with intrigue, all kinds of sordid corruption and orgies,” and she laughed with her admission. “No, no, that came out wrong,” she backtracked embarrassingly, “I wasn’t a participant!”


He laughed with her, smitten with the brash naivete. She had a face full of wonder.


“Since we haven’t sorted out the politics, how about religion?” he looked at her knowingly, a quiet searching.


“Mmmmmm, that’s the heaviest question, isn’t it? You’re asking me, if I believe?” she looked toward the aisle, motioning the flight attendant for another round of Heinekens.


“I would like to believe in angels, protective forces that lead, and guide and provide comfort. Keep us safe. I have a harder time with the heaven and hell concepts; my mind perceives that we’re stuck in that balance now. Each day is its own heaven or hell, so I think we continue coming back, reliving the adventure, finding the people that complete our souls.”


Their eyes locked and they reflexively raised their fresh beers to the idea, to the unsaid acknowledgement that perhaps this meeting wasn’t a chance encounter.


“And you?” she asked.


“Oh, I’m Catholic,” and that smile flashed again.


“Such an easy one - you don’t believe in anything,” they laughed, a mirthful exchange within their shared connection.


“Okay,” she said, “Now we’re to the good stuff. S - E - X,” she spelled the word, a shyness emerging.


He leaned in closer, “Do I want it with you? The answer is yes.”


The skipping of her heart and the tightening of her chest returned. She wanted to kiss him right there in the middle of the plane, in front of everyone. Instead, she took a miscalculated sip of the beer, and the cold liquid slid down her chin, an opportunity for him to more longingly look at her cleavage as it fell in the perfect spot.


“I presume we’re both married,” she said.


“The rings are a dead giveaway.”


The banter entertained them as they hurled through time and space, the plane landing at its destination, the new found friends departing regretfully to their separate hotels. There were many times she replayed that last minute, changing history by getting into that cab with him. The history changed only in her mind; the reality, a constant gnaw of an anguished nostalgia.


It didn’t stop them from the occasional flirtatious conversation, a reconnection as they shared triumphs and losses, news of divorces, new jobs, relocations, and new loves. Marla had wistfully hoped that the fates would intervene. Her recent separation from her husband was prolonged and exacting. By the time she found herself in a single state, worthy of partnering, Dan had adoringly announced his engagement to Allie. He had pulled out all of the fanfare in the Hamptons, nonetheless. It was the fairytale, a real-life unfolding. Marla gulped down the old-fashioned alongside the inherent bitterness, beckoning Alex for a heavy refill.


She hadn’t seen Dan since arriving. At first, she thought it odd that he had invited her, but they had carried on as friends. It made sense, especially given that she was in the Charleston area for business. Alex promptly set her on the path of potential tailspin, the third drink in hand.


Twirling the orange peel in the rocks glass, she heard the voice, distant and approaching. She couldn’t turn her head. She was frozen in anticipation.


“I’m so glad you came. You look beautiful, Marla. Wow, what has it been? A decade?” the words tumbled out of his mouth.


She adjusted toward the left, watching him slide onto the bar stool next to her. They stared at each other, Marla biting her lip, Dan holding her in his mind’s eye. He hadn’t expected her to be more captivating than the original meeting. He was riveted by her eyes, the gentleness in her being, her taut body ready for the unclaimed action.


“I see you’re starting the reception before the wedding,” he gave her his magnanimous smile, “trust me, I’ve been doing the same.”


She lingered in his gaze, letting the words hang between them, resisting the urge to steal that overdue kiss.


“Oh yeah, I was just trying to find myself, gather my thoughts, unwind really. I’m speechless, Dan. You look great, happy….” she stabbed at the orange peel like she could beat back the remorse of inaction.


“Let’s talk more at the reception. I have to run now to get some photos with the groomsmen,” standing up, he placed his hand on her bare shoulder. “You really do look lovely.”


She watched him walk away, glancing back at her, as he fulfilled his obligations.


***


Seated on the third-row aisle, Marla sank into the light afterglow of the alcohol, watching the wedding procession, but seeing nothing. There were crisp colors, and lights and sounds of staid but hopeful music. Dan passed her in his dashing tuxedo, tall and fit. Allie flitted by, a white, blissful breeze. The vows were traditional and succinct, a reiteration of sentiments shared by innumerable couples. When it came to Dan’s turn, he recited back the lines, careful to enunciate. In the pivotal moment, he paused, scanning the crowd. Only a few guests saw their souls engage, as Marla mouthed for him the words, “I do.”

August 19, 2024 18:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

44 comments

Kristy Schnabel
00:40 Aug 29, 2024

Hi Christy, You were selected for me in the Critique Circle. I admire your courage in taking on difficult issues with aplomb: politics & religion. But what I want to comment on is the humor in this story: "A passenger had decided they were ill-equipped to handle the responsibilities of extra leg room." Funny! And: "I see you’re starting the reception before the wedding." Really funny. I really admire how your story evokes so many feelings in the reader. Well done, Christy!

Reply

Christy Morgan
01:18 Aug 29, 2024

You absolutely made my day, Kristy! My humor runs subtle and dry and for you to point it out brings me a smile. Thank you for the critique, read and the like!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paul Hellyer
10:28 Aug 27, 2024

Never a dull moment.

Reply

Christy Morgan
01:38 Aug 28, 2024

Thanks for reading, Paul!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pat Gordon
20:10 Aug 26, 2024

I agree with the comment about the tension. You had me scared Marla was going to make a big-time fool of herself at the wedding as her drinks added up. I don't think Dan's bride will be able to trust him, but oh well...

Reply

Christy Morgan
01:58 Aug 27, 2024

Thank you for reading, Pat! It’s fun to create these glimpses of characters and wonder what happens next.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
08:50 Aug 25, 2024

They made a connection. Great way of telling what might been. Wistful and sad. I felt her pain and isolation. If only!

Reply

Christy Morgan
16:02 Aug 25, 2024

So true, Helen…if only! I’m glad to hear the wistful sadness came through, Marla caught in the indecision of choices. Thank you for reading it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna W
18:59 Aug 24, 2024

Such a compelling case of right people, wrong time! You built great tension throughout the story, and I loved the line “she stabbed at the orange peel like she could beat back the remorse of inaction.” Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Christy Morgan
15:58 Aug 25, 2024

Always enjoy hearing reader’s favorite lines! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and offer feedback, Anna!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:21 Aug 30, 2024

Thank you for the story. Well-written prompt. I will call it a sweet regret of not developing relationships. Good luck with your next one!

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:59 Aug 28, 2024

The description of the flow of feelings is something almost anyone can relate to. Your final twist leaves the door open to almost anything. I think the brief change to Dan's POV when he meets Marla in the bar would be better avoided. Perhaps Marla could speculate about what was going on in his mind.

Reply

Christy Morgan
23:58 Aug 28, 2024

Thanks, Christine, for your feedback! Appreciate your insights!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Debra Tillar
13:16 Aug 28, 2024

Great story. I get the feeling this is only chapter one between these two...

Reply

Christy Morgan
14:25 Aug 28, 2024

A nice thought, Debra! Sometimes the best love stories are the ones that never happen. I really appreciate you reading and commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Haneul Cho
00:48 Aug 28, 2024

Really good

Reply

Christy Morgan
01:39 Aug 28, 2024

Appreciative, Haneul! Thanks for taking the time to read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
17:54 Aug 26, 2024

The one who got away. They had no choice really as they were both married … not the best way to jump into something new. Lots to think about though ….

Reply

Christy Morgan
19:54 Aug 26, 2024

Yes, there’s always the one who gets away! Thanks so much, Hannah, for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KA James
20:45 Aug 25, 2024

Nothing quite like a story that you can relate to, makes you reminisce about your own old relationships and what might have been (one of those comments you hope your spouse doesn't stumble across-but if you do, honey, I have no regrets). Definitely a thought provoker, well done

Reply

Christy Morgan
19:53 Aug 26, 2024

Always reassuring to hear when a story is relatable and thought provoking! Feels as though perhaps I hit the mark I was aiming for…thanks for the read!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lonnie Russo
18:49 Aug 24, 2024

This was a wonderful read. You managed to create this exuberant sort of tension throughout, balancing us readers on the edge with Marla, wondering “will they, won’t they.” As the cocktails mount, apparently for both of them, you wonder if liquid courage will make someone act. Alas, right people, wrong place, wrong time. Really lovely work.

Reply

Christy Morgan
19:02 Aug 24, 2024

Your feedback leaves me humbled, Lonnie - truly! So appreciative of you reading. This site is comprised of many talented and very supportive writers. I’m anxious to read your stories. Thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Melissa Taylor
17:12 Aug 24, 2024

Wow, I felt so many different emotions while reading this story. First, you did a great job of making me feel what Marla was feeling. I could feel her wistfulness throughout. And I found myself feeling angry for the blissfully unaware bride toward the end. Well done, what a ride!

Reply

Christy Morgan
18:51 Aug 24, 2024

Always wonderful to hear when a story evokes a series of emotions. Must admit Marla left me with a real sadness at the end…a reminder of all life’s lost chances… Thanks for your comments, Melissa!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
16:23 Aug 24, 2024

Not so in romantic stories, but I like it.

Reply

Christy Morgan
18:47 Aug 24, 2024

Thanks, Darvico! Appreciate you reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Malcolm Twigg
14:23 Aug 22, 2024

Thanks for the like, Christie. As for this, not the type of story I would normally read and could never in a million years attempt to write, but I found myself captivated by the whole thing. Reaaly good story.

Reply

Christy Morgan
15:49 Aug 22, 2024

That may be the best compliment I’ve received, Malcolm. Thanks for taking a chance on reading it, and I’m glad you liked it. This is such a great community of writers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:05 Aug 21, 2024

Regrets, I've had a few... Thanks for liking 'Summer Vacation Paradise'

Reply

Christy Morgan
19:53 Aug 21, 2024

Love your feedback quips! Thanks for reading, Mary!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:10 Aug 31, 2024

Thanks for liking 'Long Lost'.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
02:10 Aug 21, 2024

Those fly by meetings. If only, what it, shoulda, coulda, woulda. :-) Been there, done that, still agonizing. You tell it so well.

Reply

Christy Morgan
19:52 Aug 21, 2024

Thanks, Trudy! Those “what ifs” stay with you… Really enjoyed your take with this specific prompt. Your stories are always captivatingly fun reads!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:40 Aug 20, 2024

Christy, it's always a delight reading your stuff. Alas, the timing was wrong. Great way of pulling at the heartstrings here. Splendid work !

Reply

Christy Morgan
20:07 Aug 20, 2024

Ahhhh, thank you, Alexis! Always fun to read your comments…now I need to read your latest stories 😊 Hope you are well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:50 Aug 20, 2024

It's all about timing, sometimes. You expressed her regrets, her actions, and her feelings so well. Thanks for reading and liking mine.

Reply

Christy Morgan
20:06 Aug 20, 2024

Thanks, Kaitlyn! It’s always a pleasure reading your works!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
BRUCE MARTIN
07:31 Aug 20, 2024

Very nicely constructed story. Well done!

Reply

Christy Morgan
20:05 Aug 20, 2024

Thank you for the kind words, Bruce! Appreciate you taking the time to read it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.