0 comments

Coming of Age Creative Nonfiction Gay

“Only 5 minutes a day, let’s go on a walk.” I was already out passed the door when my mom wanted us to walk.

 I sat on a bench painted in black acrylic paint waiting for the bus to drop me off at school, while at the same time, my pink ROOTS backpack was dangling in between both of my legs. 

Bus 32 stopped right at King Street. I got up holding my backpack on one shoulder as Mr. Alvin opened the bus. I got on and found the red single seat closest to the exit. 

My stomach started aching a few minutes after I sat down, which made me question and it felt really strange as I did indeed eat breakfast. 

I tried canceling my thoughts and decided to take a bit of a rest. Thankfully, I was sitting at the front of the bus near the closest exit. 

I got my water bottle out of my bag and started to take a few sips hoping it will help calm down my nervous system. As I went back on my phone that was tucked into my pocket ever since the bus arrived, I tried to find a distraction.

It felt good to stop in front of the school and be ready to start a school day in no time. It wasn’t exactly the end of the school year just yet. We just had a break to study for exams.

As I got off the bus, I was walking directly into period one. I’ve never felt as free as a bird!

My assignments were completed and handed in before the break, and I was just studying for my upcoming english exam, knowing english wasn’t my thing and I hated asking for help my whole life.

During the Summer of 2015, my adopted mom hired me an english tutor and it hasn’t gone too well, knowing in the second session my tutor stopped and started to abandon me by refusing to come back.

I felt as if I was never enough, being abandoned by my biological parents, then my English tutor. After trying to study English and prepare for my exam, it was a complete miracle.

I bumped into a freshman named Rebecca who was new at the school, was lonely by not having any friends or was in any of my classes.

Rebecca was two years older and loved english. The only time I got to see her was during lunch, and she was there sitting at a table alone doing english constantly. 

A bit later, it was so embarrassing how she just knew how much I was struggling, all of a sudden she started to hang out with me at lunch and we started really bonding. 

I sat beside her very nervous, and she wanted to help me with studying English. 

I felt good, and knew from the start Rebecca was someone who is good for my mental health, and someone who I can talk to once I need a helping hand. 

Every lunch, Rebecca was still alone but joined me. The bond between Rebecca and I was great, and I wasn’t failing English anymore. 

In no time, I was getting straight As, and as Rebecca and I started to get to know each other, we started to fall in love. Rebecca started to compliment me while I was blushing. 

It was an early end of school so Rebecca and I planned to hangout right after while walking to her house. 

A 10 minute walk in no time, I step foot into Rebecca’s place feeling toasty warm. Rebecca lives on 95 Gabe Street West very close to the school. 

There was no parents home, but only Rebecca’s dog named Tiffany with blue eyes. It was exciting! Rebecca had a great idea for us to run upstairs into her room and lock the room door. 

Moaning and groaning, I fell right on top of Rebecca in a standing position almost knocking her down. Rebecca wanted to take it more intensely deep in the relationship, but she knew I didn’t feel comfortable standing in front of her exactly nude. 

I stayed until the early morning, while my parents were looking for me, and was pretty mad that I stayed longer than expected. 

As I got home, I was grounded in no time. 

My mom forced me to give her my phone to text Rebecca’s parents that I am no longer allowed to be near her, or if it happens, I am forced to drop out of school.

I sat in my room sobbing all alone and unhappy as I don’t want to leave Rebecca and I want to be able to stay. I was doing so bad and I wanted to sleep forever. 

I never felt as if I was in a dark hole before, with weight and heavy emotions that carried on top of me. 

That was it! I fasted and went to bed early by crying myself to sleep. 

In the morning, I rushed out as fast as I could excited to see Rebecca. 

Bus 32 stopped at King Street. As I was trying to get up from the bench, my bag flung open and one of the zippers broke that was specifically pulled. 

I rested my head on my bag hoping to get some sleep as I was still feeling pretty tired and restless. After shutting my eyes, in no time we were at school, Rebecca was by the bus door waiting for me. 

I gave Rebecca a huge hug and we kissed in front of the bus driver. 

After going into the school, Rebecca dropped me off at English class and I felt confident actually going in excited for my exam tomorrow.

Mrs. Jenn gave as more resources to practice and prep for which I found super helpful. I completed the worksheets in no time, and then I was able to relax. 

When period one was over, I made my way to Art while staring at Rebecca’s hot body in the hall.

Principal Morgan called me into her office and I was pretty worried. 

I am definitely fully grounded. There it was, I was standing in the office waiting to be picked up by my mom for making contact with Rebecca.

January 16, 2023 20:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.