0 comments

Sad High School Teens & Young Adult

Those Lonely Nights  by Zoe Hays

I was staring out of my broken window as tears rolled down my face. I watched in my reflection as a single tear dripped off my left cheek. My eyes focused on a tiny star that rested right above my favorite maple tree. I jumped at the sound of my door creaking open. Scared to turn around and see my parents, I slowly turned around. Smirking at the sight of my little dog's head, I  wiped the tears off of my face with the back of my hand and belly flopped onto my bed. As I laid there, I recalled the events of the day.

My day had started off surprisingly well. I had woken up to the delicious smell of bacon and cheesy eggs. My nostrils flared and my eyes opened to a bright sunny Tuesday morning. I got out of bed and put on my favorite t-shirt and shorts. I was going to be comfy today no matter what people thought of me. I grabbed my hoodie, threw it on, and walked out of my room. Walking through my house following the scent of food is one of the best feelings ever. It is like waiting for summer during the last week of school. Or like laying in bed at 4 in the morning waiting for the rest of your family to wake up so you can open gifts. The feeling is miraculous. 

It was one of those days that feels too good to be true and leaves you pinching yourself wondering if it was reality. I ate breakfast and then went to my room to text my friends. Responding to dozens of “Happy Birthdays!" is kind of fun but it can also get a little boring. I mean how can it not? Everybody says the same thing on birthdays. It's always “Happy Birthday, how are you, we should hang out, hope you have a good day.” I mean, is nobody creative anymore? It started to make me feel a little lonely. Ironic right? How could I feel lonely on my birthday?

Three words. My family forgot. They forgot their own daughters’ and sisters' birthdays. How is that even possible? Both of my parents have Facebook so it's not like it doesn’t remind them. I got off of my sloppily made bed and walked out to go find my mom. “Do you know what day it is?” I asked my mom, “Mom, it’s my birthday.” She turned around and it was only then that I noticed that she was on the phone. She shushed me and shooed me away. Do you know how much that hurts someone? Let me tell you, it hurts a lot. 

I walked into my room doing my best to hold in a sob. I shut the door a bit harder than normal but I honestly didn’t care anymore. It isn't like I forget their birthdays! I let out the sob as I  curled up in my blankets. After a few minutes of crying, I began to think. Maybe they were just acting like they didn't remember just so that they could surprise me. Maybe they had a whole party planned out and a wonderful day ahead.

Turners out, they did forget. I didn't act upset about it because I didn't want them to feel bad. I mean they already do so much for me. I bet you’re thinking, “What about the breakfast?” So apparently, my dad had a meeting with his boss earlier that morning. It doesn't come as a shock to me because my dad is trying to become friends with his boss just so that he doesn't get fired at the cut next week. I know it sounds like my parents aren't that good of parents but they really try to be the best they can. 

My day went by in a big blur of emotions all mixed together. It’s part of being a teenager right? I went from crying to laughing to crying again. How is that even possible? I really don't know how the tears kept coming. You would think that they would run out eventually but my day proved that wrong. 

Once my mom got off the phone, she barged into my room where I was texting my bf and started yelling at me. She was yelling something about me slamming my door. I tried to defend myself but she wouldn't let me get a word in so I ended up just sitting there letting her yell at me. She stormed out of my room and I muttered something like “I can’t wait until I’m 18.” Guess what, my mother has amazing hearing. I’m pretty sure that I heard her shoes squeak as she pivoted around and yelled my name. “Gloria! I heard that!” she was yelling as she came back into my room. She snatched my phone out of my hand while I was mid-text with my bf. I yelled after her yelling, “Mom! Mom, stop, that’s not fair.” She completely ignored me and slammed my door on her way out. “So much for no slamming doors.” I muttered sarcastically, “I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that!” 

Sometimes I wonder if she has some sort of listening device set up in my room. Because I swear it is either that or she has actual super powers. I was so frustrated with my day and I just wanted to go to sleep. I ended up falling asleep and staying asleep all through lunch and dinner. When I woke up, my whole family had already gone to bed but I was starving so I snuck into the kitchen for some junk food. I ended up getting a bag of Lays chips, some cookies, and leftovers for that morning's breakfast with my dad's boss. I gathered the armful of food and tiptoed back into my room.

Shutting a door in the middle of night quietly is one of the hardest things to do at my age. I know you’re probably thinking that I have it so easy but a girl needs food right? I ended up shutting the door with the slightest of creaks and plopped my snacks onto my bed. I let all the emotions from that day out while I ate some of my favorite foods. Once I was done, I tried to sleep but the sugar rush hit me and kept me wide awake so I went to my window to watch the moon and stars. To my surprise, a tear slid down my cheek. I didn’t even know what I had to cry about anymore. Maybe I’m just a sensitive person who had way too much sleep and sugar. I honestly don't know anymore. I was just about to check the clock to see what time it was when I heard the door creak open and saw my little dog with his cute eyes. Now, I’ve never had a heart attack but I imagined that what I was feeling was the start of one. I didn’t even know why it had scared me. I mean sure I had snuck food into my room and sure I didn’t shower and sure I didn’t brush my teeth or wash my face but still, the fear that I had just didn’t fit. Am I scared of my parents or am I scared of getting in trouble? Probably both but all I could think about at that time was sleep. Hopefully my dreams will make up for my awful day.

June 12, 2021 02:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.