1 comment

Funny Romance Sad

“Unbelievable, you’re such a ditz old man! This ride costs more than your entire family's net worth. You better have good insurance otherwise you’ll be passing along some serious debts.”

“Oh, I’m sorry lad, my vision isn’t that good. What is your name?”

“Clearly isn’t. Can’t believe you didn’t see me, the only vehicle for miles. Ridiculous. It’s Derek Marshall, that’s with an e and a k, don’t spell it wrong.”

“Derek, pleasure to meet you, I’m…”

“Didn’t ask, and I certainly don’t care. Just write my name down so you can call insurance, get me a tow so I can get out of this hell hole.”

“Write? Um, I seemed to have lost my lucky pen…”

“What good are you!? Ugh, this is absurd. Just make the call for the tow, I’ll call to make sure the police get involved. Don’t think you’re getting away with the ‘delusional old man’ card on me. I’m going to make sure you cover every last cent.”

“Well I don’t own a cell phone… and I can’t remember where I placed any of those insurance papers.”

“Right, you don’t own a phone. I must be dreaming. You really are that old, aren’t you? I guess I’ll just do everything--- and perfect, no signal.”

“Dreaming? I love to dream. I used to dream all day about sailing the clear Caribbean waters with my beloved bride. I could get lost in those dreams forever.”

“Well, that explains the accident. How someone hasn’t dropped you into a home is beyond reason. I’m left with a nutcase in the middle of Nebraska. That would make a good title for my next film, right? More importantly, I need to get back to Omaha so I can catch my flight this evening. Do you know how far it is to get… what am I saying, of course you don’t.”

“It’s about 45 miles south, erm, I believe it’s a straight shot.”

“Oh wow, you do know something. Great. Let me get my bags, looks like your ride is still in tack somehow, so I’ll drive us into town.”

“Wait, what about that, um fancy ride of yours?”

“Oh that, it’s just a rental. Anyway, it's your insurance that’ll be taking care of that mess.”

“Um, but I don’t feel comfortable with you driving my vehicle.”

“Listen clearly and turn up your hearing aids if you have to. I don’t feel comfortable with you or your driving period. Your incompetence is what got me in this situation to begin with. So hand over the keys and we both can get on with our lives.”

“But what if we get pulled over, they’ll think you stole the car.”

“I’ll just lie and tell them that I’m taking my senile grandpa to the zoo. That should deter any further questions. The keys.”

“Well hold on, only if you’ll be more polite. Who taught you these manners?”

“Manners? You don’t get to be in places like mine with manners. You might want to take some notes on that imaginary pen of yours. This isn’t stick, is it?”

“I don’t think so. It’s been a while since I’ve tried.”

“Since you…? Oh Lord, I don’t even want to know. I’m heading south and just hoping we get there.”

-----------

“So what brings a hot shot like you out to Nebraska? There sure can’t be much of anything interesting for you?”

“You finally got something right. Funeral, and yes, it was as lively as it sounds.”

“Funeral? Must have been someone really important for you then?”

“Hardly, just my demented grandma. Quite a sad story really. Anyway, she had an impressive estate from what I’ve heard. Never seen it, but I needed to sign some paperwork to ensure things were going to be in the right hands.”

“Why was the story sad?”

“Had a kid, unfortunately, happened to be my father. Husband abandoned her one day. Single mom. Died alone. All it did was just confirm that ‘true love’ is just a myth, nobody really has that. Makes for a good script is all; I’ve watched that story a million different times in Hollywood. Any couple staying together is only doing so for pragmatic reasons.”

“I’m not sure that is true. But that guy sounds like a real loser.”

“Yeah, he’s a real jerk, was a real jerk, probably dead by now. Lucky him, I’d have some very choice words and actions for that guy. Didn’t give my dad the chance to have a father and well let’s just say that didn’t bode too well for my childhood either.”

“Childhood. Ahh to be young again. Do you have children?”

“Sheesh, you really are nuts. Must be the water around here or something, and of course not, goes back to the whole love thing. Don’t believe it, not looking for it, don’t have time. I could make a whole list for you.”

“That would be nice. I felt like I had a list somewhere in here…”

“Nutjob. Now that I think about it, what were you doing back there? Don’t you have anyone to take care of you? Clearly, you need it.”

“Oh, I was out looking for something. I can’t remember what it was though, I think it was on that list you mentioned.”

“Well, I’m sure you’ll find it in one of those dreams of yours, seems like you spend most of your time there anyway.”

“Here it is! Yes, the flowers, I was going into town for some flowers. It says here to get the ‘boat orchids’ like we're sailing the clear waters. I need to get these flowers young man; it’s my only request.”

“You can buy as many flowers as you want after I drive myself to the airport.”

“Oh but it says on the list that the shop closes at 3. That must be soon.”

“Look you’d have to pay me a lot of money to spend any more time with you. I, on the other hand, have a life, people to see, and more important things to do.”

“Yes, yes, money. I know I have some money somewhere. Ah, here, how about this, I must go to the flower shop.”

“Five thousand dollars…. you must be crazy. Never mind, who are you? I guess we can make a quick stop at the flower shop. At least I know that car will be covered now.”

“Wonderful, my list here says it’s on the corner of 49th and Charles.”

-----------

“Hey you, get wrinkly over here some boat flowers or whatever you call them so he can sail off to wonderland with his imaginary girlfriend.”

“Excuse me, if you’re going to talk to me like that I’m going to ask you to leave. And maybe you’re the one with imaginary friends because I don't see anyone with you.”

“You’ve got to be kidding. He was just next to the car--- Hey! Wrinkles! The flowers are in here, get away from the corner!”

“Oh, I’m sorry. Why I am here? I want to see the park across the street.”

“The Par… ugh. Okay, do you remember the list?”

“Yes, yes, the list. Ah! The flowers, I need to get the flowers.”

“Exactly. And we are here at the flower shop, let me take you inside.”

“Wonderful, wonderful, look at all these options, they must surely have, um, err, the orchids!”

“Hello sir, I overheard you looking for orchids.”

“That is correct my dear, I can’t remember what kind.”

“Let me see that little list of yours. I’m sure you wrote it down. Ah, yes, boat orchids. Those are very rare you know. But this is the season we have them shipped in with very special care. They must be for a special someone?”

“She is the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen. I’m finally going to ask her out you know. I finally remembered to get enough gas to make it into town.”

“Aw, I’m sure she is going to love them. Is this your grandson? The tall one who thinks a little too highly of himself?”

“Ha, this lad here is doing me a favor. He’s helping me deliver the flowers to my crush.”

“Deliver? Whoa whoa whoa, I never said anything about a delivery. We’re going straight to the airport after this so I can catch my flight and never step foot here again.”

“Wow. You truly are a gentleman. So much so, I’d love to get your name.”

“Oh well, that’s Derek Marshall, Derek with an e and a k.”

“Derek Marshall? Like the actor? I knew you looked familiar.”

“Well, darling it’s a hard face to forget.”

“Yeah, well I won’t forget to tell everyone, including the Omaha World-Herald that Derek Marshall is arrogant, condescending, and likes to abandon old people to the streets who are just trying to fall in love.”

“Okay, miss, like anyone from the Herald would listen to a random flower shop employee.”

“Well, this flower shop employee happens to see the chief editor of the Herald every Sunday as he buys flowers for his wife. Something you clearly know nothing about.”

“You’re just making that up. What’s his name then?”

“Jason Hornwell”

“Give me a second. Keep an eye on sailboat Sam here. I’m going to make a quick call.”

-----------

“Gary, It’s Derek. I’m in quite the predicament here, it’s too long of a story to explain, but I need you to verify the chief editor of the Omaha World-Herald.”

“Making some connections on the way to the airport I see. Ahh Derek, there’s a reason we keep getting those good PR ratings."

“Yeah. Connections. Whatever just hurry up!”

“Alright, the chief editor is Jason Hornwell, looks like he’s happily married, and has a couple kids.”

Happily, yeah I’m sure he’s so motivated by his undying love to buy his wife flowers every Sunday, not like it's part of the contract he’s obliged to.”

“Flowers? What are you…”

“Never mind, thanks Gary. Looks like I won’t be coming in till tomorrow.”

----------

“Did crusty wander into the street while I was gone?”

“Oh, hello young lad, have we met before?”

“Ugh. Lady, here’s the deal. I’ll give you a thousand dollars if you promise not to say anything about me. I’ll be checking the papers daily to see if you peeped."

“Hmmm, a thousand dollars… that's tempting. But money is only so valuable. I’d rather see my friend here deliver these flowers to his lady.”

“Not a chance. I don’t even know where he lives.”

“Oh, that’s okay, while you were chatting, he told me exactly where he lives, and I wrote it down for you two.”

“Alright, five hundred dollars and I’ll drive the old fart back home.”

“Excellent.”

“Old man! Grab those ugly flowers, we're taking a road trip.”

------

“Can you just hand me the stupid list so I can see the address?”

“No, I need to make sure the list is safe. There’s a lot of other things on it I would prefer to be private.”

“Like what? Did flower lady write you a love note, whatever that even means?”

“I would prefer to keep it private.”

“Alright, keep your secrets wrinkles. You said you lived close to our crash, correct?”

“Yes, right down to the road and to the left.”

“How can you remember that, but nothing else?”

“Sometimes it comes to me, and sometimes it doesn’t. I just try to write things down when it comes. You should see all the papers I have at home. It’s a lot to read every morning but I always end up smiling. I read this morning about the lovely lady next door, that’s when I remembered to go grab the flowers.”

“Why do think she wants the flowers? And why do you care to give them to her?”

“Oh, I read that she makes me feel like I’m young again. Apparently, she smiles at me all the time too, and I read that she likes boats. Hence the orchids. She’s going to love these.”  

“Well, whatever works I guess. Looks like we're here. Not bad for an old man.”

“Oh, wonderful. Let me get the flowers in a vase. Can you help me up the steps?”

“Sure, I’m already going to miss my flight. Might as well stay awhile.”

“I can make you a cup of…”

“Watch out! I can’t imagine a guy like you can hit his head too many more times. Here you dropped that list--- Wait a second. This address looks familiar. It’s. Almost identical to the one on the papers I signed this morning. Stay here, let me look outside at something.”  

“Okay, I’ll be warming up the kettle.”

“That house next door has the same exact address on the estate papers I signed this morning. When was the last time you saw that lady next door?”

“Umm, err, oh. I can’t remember, I probably wrote it down on one of those papers on the desk.”

“Let me check. Have you written down every single observation in the last twenty years? How do you have this many papers? I found something.”

“Oh great! Why don’t you read it out loud? I always love to remember things.”

“Today I was out on the porch and my lovely neighbor came by to share the papers she found in her old office. Her eyes were crystal blue like the Caribbean Sea, and her hair was as pure as the white snow. According to her writings, she once had long blonde hair, that was back when she would explore with her husband. He sounded like a fine gentleman. I asked if she had any writings about him. She shuffled through some pages and read about how he went out of the house one day and never returned, she seemed angry yet very sad.”

“Ahh, crystal blue like the Caribbean Sea, I love that part.”

“Hey. Um. Pops. I hate to tell you, but this lovely lady… is dead.”

“Dead? She can’t be, I just saw her, um, not too long ago, and the flowers.”

“We can place them in a special place, trust me I know the spot.”

“Oh dear.”

“Just take your time. We can go tomorrow morning.”

-------

“Why are you in my house!? Back off! I swear I’m stronger than I look!”

“Hey hey! Read this, read this, look. It’s your handwriting, just like all the other papers. This is about yesterday.”

“Oh no. She’s gone. I can’t believe I won’t see her again.”

“It’s okay, we’re going to drop the flowers off in that special place.”

“Great, I’m glad we can deliver the flowers. Can you grab my shoes for such a special occasion?”

“I’m guessing those aren’t the ones by the door. And you probably don’t remember where you put them too. There’s probably a note somewhere… ah, perfect, on the fridge. Special shoes in the basement, be careful of the steps. Okay oldie, I’ll get those shoes for you.”

“Wonderful, I’ll be reading my papers.”

“Hey, I found this picture downstairs on one of the shelves. It looks like you when you were younger. Looks like that dream you were describing of sailing the Caribbean with this blonde-haired woman…”

“The crystal blue…”

“You’re him. You’re that scumbag who never came home! Who was a coward and ran away, and left my dad without a father! Who left his wife to die alone. I should bury you right here, you’re a monster. Ahh!”

“Please don’t hurt me, I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Of course you don’t. What’s the point. I just want to know one thing, why? Ahh! Of course, you can’t answer that either. It’s got to be on one of these stupid papers.”

“I don’t know why. I don’t know, just read the papers.”

“March 13th, 1949: I don’t know where I am or how I got here, people keep asking me for my name and I can’t remember. The last thing I remember was falling off my boat. March 24th, 1949: There was a huge storm last night, I’m thankful the nice local couple let me take shelter overnight. April 8th, 1949: I met a guy who has his own ship and crew, he said they are leaving for America tomorrow. I’ve heard good things about America and people told me my English is excellent so maybe I’ll fit right in. June 30th, 1985: I met a guy from Omaha on the docks today, and for some reason, it rang a bell. I’ve been thinking about it all day. Deep down it feels like I belong there. Hopefully, I see this tomorrow and we can catch a train. Me in Nebraska? A nutcase in the middle of Nebraska. I like the sound of that.”

“Omaha, that’s where the flowers were right?”

“You’ve been this way for 50 years? You never meant to leave forever. You were brought right next door to her if only you knew.”

“The lady next door has the most beautiful blue eyes; I would love to see them again.”

“I would love to as well grandpa, just to see you two together. Let’s go deliver those flowers.” 

February 21, 2023 00:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tracie Salgado
20:03 Feb 21, 2023

Gah! What a twist! Such an angry man (Derek) turned into a softie by asking angry questions. Good stuff!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.