4 comments

Adventure Fiction Suspense

Day 1:

Dear Diary,

Today marks the beginning of my expedition into the heart of the Amazon rainforest, a land I've dreamt of exploring since I was a child. The anticipation is palpable as I set foot on this seemingly untouched terrain. The air is thick with humidity, and the chorus of wildlife fills my ears. I can't help but feel a sense of awe and excitement at the adventure that lies ahead. With every step, I am one stride closer to uncovering the mysteries hidden within this lush green labyrinth.

Day 3:

Dear Diary,

The past few days have been both exhilarating and challenging. Navigating through the dense foliage has proven to be more difficult than anticipated. Every step requires careful consideration, as the undergrowth is thick and tangled. Yet, despite the physical hardships, the beauty of this place is unparalleled. Vibrant birds flit through the canopy above, and colorful flowers dot the forest floor. I can't help but marvel at the wonders of nature that surround me at every turn.

Day 6:

Dear Diary,

Today, I stumbled upon something truly remarkable. While hacking through the underbrush, I came across what appears to be an ancient ruin hidden deep within the jungle. The structure is overgrown with vines and moss, but its grandeur is unmistakable. I can only imagine the secrets that lie within its crumbling walls. It's moments like these that remind me why I became an explorer—to uncover the mysteries of the unknown and piece together the stories of civilizations long forgotten.

Day 10:

Dear Diary,

As I delve deeper into the heart of the rainforest, I can't shake the feeling that I'm being watched. Every rustle of leaves and snap of twigs sends shivers down my spine. I've heard tales of indigenous tribes who call this place home, and I can't help but wonder if they are aware of my presence. Despite my apprehension, I press on, driven by a curiosity that outweighs my fear.

Day 15:

Dear Diary,

I've encountered something today that defies explanation. As I trekked through a particularly dense thicket, I stumbled upon a clearing unlike any I've seen before. In the center stands a massive stone monolith, covered in intricate carvings that seem to pulsate with energy. The air around it hums with a strange power, sending goosebumps racing across my skin. I can't help but feel a sense of reverence in its presence, as if I've stumbled upon something sacred and ancient beyond comprehension.

Day 20:

Dear Diary,

My journey through the rainforest takes a dark turn today. As I push deeper into the jungle, I come across the remains of a campsite, long abandoned and overgrown with vegetation. Amongst the tangled vines and fallen trees, I discover the grim evidence of tragedy—a human skeleton, picked clean by scavengers and bleached white by the sun. The sight sends a chill down my spine, and I can't help but wonder what horrors befell the unfortunate soul who met their end in this forsaken place.

Day 25:

Dear Diary,

The discovery of the skeleton weighs heavily on my mind as I continue my journey through the rainforest. The jungle seems to close in around me, suffocating me with its oppressive silence. Every shadow holds a hidden threat, and every rustle of leaves sends my heart racing with fear. I can't shake the feeling that I am being watched, stalked by some unseen predator that lurks just beyond the edge of my vision.

Day 30:

Dear Diary,

I stumble upon another grisly scene today—a makeshift grave hidden amongst the roots of a towering tree. A crude cross marks the spot, and beneath it lies the decaying remains of another unfortunate soul. The stench of death hangs heavy in the air, mingling with the damp earth and rotting vegetation. I can't help but wonder how many others have met their end in this cursed place, their bodies swallowed by the unforgiving jungle.

Day 35:

Dear Diary,

The jungle grows darker with each passing day, a twisted maze of shadows and secrets. I can feel the tendrils of madness creeping into my mind, whispering dark thoughts and tempting me with visions of despair. I know not how much longer I can endure in this hellish place, surrounded by death and decay at every turn. But still, I press on, driven by a stubborn determination to uncover the truth that lies hidden amidst the ruins of this forsaken land.

Day 40:

Dear Diary,

Disaster strikes today as I stumble upon the remains of my fellow explorers, their bodies torn apart by some unknown horror. Blood stains the earth, and the stench of death hangs heavy in the air. I can't bear to look upon their mangled corpses, but I know that I must press on if I am to have any hope of escaping this nightmare alive. With a heavy heart and trembling hands, I gather what supplies I can salvage and continue deeper into the heart of darkness.

Day ???:

Dear Diary,

I don't know how long it's been since I last wrote in these pages. Time seems to have lost all meaning in this accursed place. I am lost, both in body and in spirit, trapped in a never-ending nightmare from which there is no escape. The jungle closes in around me like a living, breathing entity, suffocating me with its darkness and despair. I can hear them now, whispering in the shadows, their voices a haunting melody that echoes through the depths of my mind.

I must leave this place. I must escape before it's too late.

But I fear that I am already lost.

Day 40:

Dear Diary,

Bodies... blood... everywhere. Can't think. Must must keep moving. No time. I think they saw me. I think they're coming. Can't stay, I must escape. Keep running. Don't look back.

Day :

der diar,

no time. lost. they are coming. I can hear them. voices laughing screaming. cant find way out. Must leave before its t

April 26, 2024 12:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Brian Haddad
19:21 Apr 29, 2024

This is a fun story of exploration. :) I especially loved the ending. The last few entries were the strongest. I don't know if you're interested in areas for improvement. Let me know if you are and I will share just one or two observations that might be of value to you. Overall though, well done!

Reply

12:52 Apr 30, 2024

I would love to hear any tips you may have! Thank you!

Reply

Brian Haddad
17:47 Apr 30, 2024

While this applies mostly to the diary storytelling mechanic, it is something to keep in mind for stronger characters in general. Watching the way you spaced out the days between entries felt like a missed opportunity to express a strong sense of character. For example, at first you did days 1, 3, and 6 (skipping two days between entries). Then you switched to all of your entries falling on a day ending in 5/10 (10, 15, 20, etc.). Think about your character. Is he/she (we'll go with she for simplicity) fastidious and meticulous about thing...

Reply

18:03 Apr 30, 2024

Thank you for the feedback!! It was much appreciated!! I definitely see where I could have improved and your tips was very insightful for my future writing. I think "humanizing" the characters make them feel more alive and adding these things you mentioned would have done that. Thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.