44 comments

Friendship

{ This is a collaboration with Lone Wolf, so make sure to check her beautiful stories as well :)

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/536b84/ }



Avery walked into the building, a hustle in her step. She knew she was late, but she had to get these pictures in. There was her friend, Diksha, the assistant, busy with loads of paperwork. She was always ready to help, but when Avery showed her the pictures that she’d taken, Diksha disagreed.


“What’s wrong with them?” Avery asks.


“Mr. Wiloiski asked for pictures of the sea...this is the ocean!” she said. 


“Well, they are almost the same thing...maybe he will let it slide?”


“NO. He will not let it happen at any cost! He is very specific in some areas. You just got this job...you don’t know anything about the strict rules here.” Diksha said.


“Fine, fine, I’ll take some more later. How’s the article coming?” Avery asked. 


“It’s going okay. I have asked James a thousand times to edit it, but you know him, HE JUST DOESN’T LISTEN!”


“Yeah, typical James. Did you hear about the staff lunch this afternoon?” 


“Obviously! I’m hosting it!” Diksha rolls her eyes as if it couldn’t be more obvious.

“Oh, nice.” Avery stuffed her hands in her pockets. “Well, I should get going, I don’t want to keep Mr. Wiloiski waiting.” She hurriedly walked up the stairs. 


“Oh! Avery, just the person I was looking for. How did the photos turn out?” Mr. Wiloiski says as Avery enters the room.


“Uh...well, I think they’re great, but it turns out that I brought the wrong ones. I’ll try to bring the right ones tomorrow,” Avery said, blushing slightly. 


“Oh! No problem. Do one thing, wait for a minute. I am just calling up Diksha. I need to talk to you both.” Mr. Wiloiski said.


“Okay, I’ll be here,” Avery said, as she messed with her necklace.


He called Diksha to come up. By the time she gets there, Avery and Mr. Wiloiski were in deep conversation.


“So, sir, what about the photographs?” Avery spoke up.


“Ah yes, the photos. James will take care of them. Don’t worry.”


“Are you sure James is the right guy to do that?” Avery asked. 


“Yeah, he’s awesome. He does all his jobs on time, even before the deadline, sometimes.”


“Okay, if you say so. So what exactly are we going to be doing?”


“So, there’s this celebrity, DJ Wolf. You know him right, the singer? I want you both to take his interview.”


“What! Are you kidding me? DJ Wolf!” Diksha exclaimed. 


“I kid you not. And, even better, I want his autograph. Think you can handle it?”


“Of course we can. We’re a great team, me and Diksha, that is.” Avery said. 


“Great! I’ll expect you two to be back by sundown on Wednesday.” Mr. W said.


“Wednesday! That’s like, tomorrow! How do you expect us to do an interview, edit the whole video and make it ready for the magazine’s website by TOMORROW!!!” They both shouted at the same time.


“You’ll have to figure that out for yourselves. Good luck!” And with that, Mr. W. stood up and motioned the girls to walk out of his office. 


“Avery, I need to tell you something. I am really busy today. I have the staff lunch right now and my parents are in town so we are going for dinner tonight. I really can’t do it.” Diksha said, walking down the stairs.


“Well, Diksha, I’m also busy tonight. You see, I was going to entertain my cousins while my aunt and uncle went to a show. Can we do it tomorrow?” Avery said.


“But tomorrow’s the deadline! I can’t lose my job because of the fact that YOU are too busy to do it.”


“UGH! My aunt and uncle already had this date all set long before we HAD a deadline! I can’t just say ‘sorry, I was busy’. It’s my responsibility. Tell you what, we have a little time left this afternoon, so how about we spend it wisely? Just cancel the lunch.” Avery said, a bit flustered. 


“No can do. Even after cancelling the lunch, I have to complete the editing task I had given James. If only a certain SOMEONE had not messed up, James would be doing it instead of me and I would be free.”


“Well, it’s not my fault that you’re too busy! I’ll use my time wisely to find out where in the world DJ Wolf is anyway. Did you ever think that he may not be in this country?”


“Oh..I never thought of that. You know what? Let’s divide and conquer. You fix an appointment with him and I’ll prepare a list of questions while editing.” Diksha said.


“Okay, sounds alright to me.” Avery walked down the stairs and into her office to do research.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~AN HOUR LATER~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“Oh my gosh, Diksha! You won’t believe what I found out! DJ Wolf is in Scandinavia. Looks like we can’t do the interview after all. You get to have dinner with your parents and I get to watch my cousins. ” Avery said. 


“But Avery, what are we going to tell Mr. W about this? I’m sure this time he won’t let it slide.” Diksha said.


“This time?”


“Yeah, it has happened to me once, I was on the brink of losing my job. Thankfully, Mr. W. was in a happy mood the next day and he gave me a warning.” Diksha said.


“So do we just tell him that we have failed at our job? Nah, we can’t say that, he’ll fire us for sure. Maybe we tell him that DJ Wolf was sick?” Avery suggested. 


“Are you serious? You don’t know him. He wants the job done NO MATTER WHAT!” Diksha was now shouting at the top of her lungs.


“Okay, okay, calm down, no need to get flustered. Maybe we can do a video call with him then? I mean, I don’t think you can get to Scandinavia in less than a day.” Avery said. 


“Okay. I am done with the editing. Sorry for the change of tone. I get hangry sometimes. I’ll search for it. Do you mind getting me a sandwich?”


“I do mind! I’m not your personal servant, Diksha. But I guess I need something to do anyway,” Avery said with a sigh. “I’ll be right back.” 


“Thanks.” Diksha got right to work. ‘Contact DJ Wolf’ she typed in the browser. 

Avery went to fetch two sandwiches from the staff room. She also grabbed two sodas to get them going. When she entered the room, she found Diksha grunting, banging on her keyboard. 


“NO WAY! DJ Wolf is not even on the internet. What kind of celebrity is he?” Diksha was sounding angrier than ever.


“That is kinda ridiculous,” Avery agreed. “Here’s your sandwich and soda.” She set them on the desk. 


“Thanks Avery.” Diksha went on to take a bite, then she spat it all out. “Oh my! Which sandwich did you bring me? You know, don’t bother. I’ll get myself a new one. You stay here and find something on DJ Wolf.”


“Okay.” As Diksha left, Avery scanned over the web-page, looking for anything useful. 

After a few minutes, Diksha returned with a veggie sandwich. “I am back. Did you find anything?”


“Well, I found out that they have very little contact information. Also, we have no idea where in Scandinavia he even is.” As Avery said it, something on the page caught her eye. “Wait a minute...see those words in red? It’s a concert advertisement...for DJ Wolf. Looks like it takes place in Sweden, and even better, it’s tomorrow. All hope isn’t lost...but how exactly do we fly to Sweden as fast as we need to?”


“Okay. Well, how about this. Last year I had an assignment with Leila, a friend of mine. She said something about her father owning a private plane service. Maybe we can take her help.”


“Okay, sure. How about you give her a call?” Avery suggested. 


“Um…”


“What?”


“I don’t really have her number.” Diksha admitted.


“Oh…” Avery’s face fell a little. “So how do you plan on contacting her then?”


“Well, I can ask my aunt. You see, she’s my aunt’s brother-in-law’s daughter’s best friend. So...maybe she can help?”


“Yeah, okay. So...what now?”


“Now, it's time to call up my aunt.” Diksha picks up her phone and dials the number,


“Hello Sam. Can I talk to your mom please? Yes dear, it's me, Diksha. Give the phone to Mommy. ”


There’s a long silence, then somebody picks up the phone on the other end. 


After a bit of talking, Diksha relays the message.


“She says she will ask Leila. Now all we can do is wait.”


“Well, we can’t wait very long because I mean, it is already 4:00 in the evening, and the day is wasting away.” Avery said. 


“Let’s go through the list of questions for Wolf.”


“Good idea. Let’s do that.”


They overviewed the questions that Diksha had come up with.


“These are pretty good!” Avery said, as they put the paper in a folder. 

Before Diksha could reply, her phone rang. It was an unknown number. Leila.


“Hey Diksha! How’ve you been? It’s been so long since we have talked. What’s up?”


The sound of Leila’s voice was like a medicine for Diksha.


Avery didn’t want to be mean by eavesdropping, so she busied herself by tidying up the desks. 


Soon, Diksha got off the phone. “Good news, Leila’s father’s agency is the one providing the transportation for DJ Wolf. There is still a chance we can make it. Pack your bags girl, we’re off to Sweden in three hours!”


June 01, 2021 14:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

44 comments

TJ Squared
15:09 Jun 01, 2021

heyy, I just wanted to say 2 things. 1. Thanks for making this collab possible, and 2. thanks for introducing me to Canva. I absolutely love it!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
16:54 Jun 01, 2021

Welcome Flow! Loved doing the collab with you too. I too learned a lot of things from you.

Reply

TJ Squared
17:12 Jun 01, 2021

<333

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:38 Jun 03, 2021

We can surly think of doing another part soon....everyone's requesting it ;)

Reply

TJ Squared
13:14 Jun 03, 2021

yeah okay

Reply

Dhwani Jain
16:59 Jun 04, 2021

Hey! How have you been, Flow? Any new stories 'flowing' in mind? {Pun intended}

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.