0 comments

Fiction Sad Speculative

 Everyone in the dinner turns to look as they hear the news anchor begin to speak on the new bill being proposed, “As we here it the bill has passed both House and Senate. This is the big change we all have been hoping for through this pandemic folks. I am not sure any of us thought they were going to, but it happened. More information to come on when and where to look for your new monthly direct payment, or checks. Stay tuned folks.” You would not believe the whole diner was in a frenzy, cheering, jumping up and down, and high fives to one another. Aaliyah and her very close girlfriend were having a brunch together as we meet at a location in between where we both work. We both smiled and reacted in surprise but none of the all out cheering and screaming.

 “So can you believe this Jessica? This was very unexpected I never thought it would get through both to become a actual bill? Well it is a great thing, and could bring a lot of well needed positive change to our economy, I think.” Aaliyah looked at Jessica curious of her thoughts on the subject. Jessica finished chewing the huge bite of sandwich she took, “Girl, I think its a great thing you should know that. I had to stay working so there has been no change in the amount of money I get well I get less money. Due to this pandemic we go into my company but as industrial they scheduled it where so many workers come in on certain days then the others opposite, though some lost their jobs due to having to downsize. I could use that monthly help to pay bills. Then you know how many have become homeless or who have their homes threaten due to not having the income. Many have the option to work from home if they are higher up in the companies.” 

 The noise was loud until the news came back on then everyone got quiet to hear the details of the new bill and what if anything must be done to get the direct payment. This is something they are going to implement on going if any other pandemic happens like this. An emergency pandemic plan of action the news anchor begins to give details, “This is something unreal but much needed for our people. Now they are making this bill the emergency plan of action in any future pandemics, let us hope we do not. Direct payments begin going out next week the same way you get your taxes, the treasury is ready to begin processing payments. This could really influence some positive action in society. With all the anxieties, depression, loss of jobs, loss of homes, and options to survive as people. Let us all hope this is the Big change we need, over to you with our weather Jessie.” The room becomes loud again everyone discussing the bill and what they are gonna do with their money. Some peoples rent today is more than $1,000 a month so that $1,000 a month could contribute to someone’s rent so they may have the chance to afford anything else in the house.

 In this pandemic this virus has killed to many people, made people loose homes, loose jobs. Then many who lost jobs were in a middle class their jobs gave no option to work from home only a few. Many companies had to downsize to keep their doors open because the work has got very slow during this pandemic. There has been so many places that had to close so they were not making sales, just like many people had to apply for grants. If they even qualify, so many people have went through loosing their businesses. This is the change that is truly needed to give people a peace of mind if at this time they have no work they can still pay their rent, power, and basic necessities. At the moment the news announced they passed the bill the whole vibe in the room change a little tension lifted off all the people in the diner, though not too packed for safety purpose. The beginning of the change will be some of the stress and anxiety lifted off so many as to how they will make it paying their bills, their country is providing support. Along with all that vaccines are being shipped all over to help as many people as possible. Then with all the different variant their are scientist dedicating all their time to research and work making a vaccine that can protect. The pandemic seems to worsen not only one type of the Covid, but there are three other variants that the vaccine for the covid does the defend against This has caused so much hurt, tragedy, and loss. So many dead, so many homeless, so many jobless.

 We as people are not built to just give up so no matter what we are hit with or what happens most of us will do all will can to build ourselves back up and do the best we can. No one expected what has happened in our lives all over the world as of now we will be all connected in history the whole world going through such a massive pandemic. This is the big change and support this country needed along with the vaccines to help society rebuild.  Nobody thought this bill would even pass and were all in shock and elated. Though it is only $1,000.00 a moth what a peace of mind it is providing people that have some financial stability to provide in the struggle and it is very real folks. After all the excitement in the diner the ladies had to get back to work they both paid and walked out the door. As they walk out the door of the diner the both had to go in opposite direction so they said their goodbyes and parted ways. "Bye girl, have a great rest of your day and thank you for lunch it was great." Aaliyah said to Jessica. Jessica smiles saying, " thank you as well. i had a wonderful time girl." Both ladies walking away feeling a little more relaxed due to this bill passing.

February 08, 2021 04:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.