14 comments

Fantasy Sad Romance

She knows how to find these little shops where the aroma of coffee bends the mind from larger issues. Soft paper, moist with liquid that perspires through fingers that grasp the latest flavors, my Affogato with premium vanilla ice cream and a shot of freshly brewed espresso, her flat white double espresso, steamed milk with just a hint of vanilla syrup. All would be well, as vendors hawk their wares down cobblestone streets and the unheard gentle murmurs of the delighted customers who nod and fondle their steaming cups.

I can let this all swirl and delight me, her smiling chatter of nothing at all as we sit at our table. The latest gossip served with know-it-all wisdom, never dangerous, that punchline delivered with calm assurance; practiced until even the dimmest of wits could not mistake her intentions. It is nothing at all. Life is unfolding as always. She doesn’t notice that tic, the nose twitch, and my attempts to touch what I cannot control, don’t attract her attention. Until all gossip reaches its destination, the train whistle letting steam escape into the void of my mind, one last chuckle from her, the valve running shut. It is my turn to speak. She waits still smiling, the curves of her mouth now uplifting only to begin their slow decline. Her eyes focus and I am late with that turn of phrase, the transition to what I must say. She is nodding, encouraging, eyebrows lifting as if I have spoken, toying with her empty paper cup. I want to squeeze that cup shut, but now she’s laughing, something I’ve said saved the day.

Out into the sunshine at the train station, tourists gawk near the toy locomotive expanded to life-size, its black beauty so sinuous and bare to the sun. Heat distorts the sky as I explain near that engine, lavishing knowledge and understanding. It’s a London and North Western Railway Class “C”, 57 tons weight. Boiler pressure 200 psi. She is clambering near me, reaching out to its immense weight so that I imagine her falling onto the grimy track. Then her smile saves me, innocent delight, that one treasure.

“All aboard!” the replica conductor shouts, the force of his words, piercing the din. Crowds find refuge, entering without luggage, passengers to nowhere we are. Our tickets are first class, four to a cabin. Then he walks in.

I’ve practiced for so long, trained my mind. A steel trap it is. Mustn't think, let alone speak anything injurious. But this is now, and that was then. It slipped out. I hardly remember when.

The petroleum stench of oil-drenched gravel beneath us could not distract me as I fiddled with my ticket. Fuzzy white lines crease across the picture of happy rail passengers, their perfect ticket lives now fractured and wanting. But he is across from us, alone, blithe, and engaging. We exchange pleasantries, like toy figurines on train sets, so happy to be whatever we must be to share four square meters for thirty minutes. At this moment, I realize that whatever I have been will lead up to what will be. I could not know how I knew this, like climactic moments in old movies, the music swelling and filling our minds, something impossible to be revealed.

The conductor fills the sliding doorway. Portly old-time mustache, jowls to spare, in so many movies his fat fingers reach for what he always must have. I dropped mine and it would be only a moment before I retrieved it. But the polite stranger is faster than me. His blonde locks dip as he deftly snatches the ticket limp and wasted, creased beyond recognition.

“Here,” he says.

I thank him, reddening as heat offloads from the billowing engine, the tic tac of steel wheels finding their places, I sit and dream. I cannot divine what must occur. For reprieve and then? Tell her. I must tell her. The conductor leaves, and the sliding door heaves shut. But she is speaking, her soft voice rising and falling with the stranger.

I and the cabin window compete for the landscape, trees, and shoddy houses, backyards with upended toys, and discarded car corpses. What people hide from prying eyes; I know as blurry blotches.

Try as I might to focus on one thing, I strain to not notice everything. Whirling and diving, my eyes are done in by the conniving trees that escape the tunnels and ringing signals. Railway gates close on cars that shuffle along streets that show the way forward. But for me the day rushes, it is too much. The incipient headache rears up and says, stop looking!

But what more is there that can yet afflict me? Oh, that gossip! With any other victim, it would not matter. I have what must be locked up. What I said, I said twice to someone, in anger. In a fit of pique, I imagined her with another. Then that maddening knowledge went still deeper, further into unknowing. Die! I do not care! I gossiped her out of existence. The knowledge of what I just did, fate, that trickster, had me? Which event will be first? Is this the only question? 

Too soon, we arrive. Screeching and wailing our engine in decline. Steaming gobs of white nothingness shoot skyward. She is with the stranger more than me! One part of what will be. One sorry event is still to come. Or will it be if I bow out gracefully?

We walk, she between us. Down groomed pathways fit for tourists, charming doorways with little trinkets. They look so charmed together, a brace of budding joy, he slips into his cell her number.

I am sorrowing as I plod near them. Their pretense and not knowing spins a future without me. Yet inevitable as uninvited dreams, the certainty of what must be, I, the power of life or death.

Oh, be glad to be weak! Merely human! Kept safe from unimagined power. A curse on me, I am neither human nor uncreated. If only I could give my life for hers! Yet I am bound, I must go on, her life a diminishing flicker.

Our day is done. She steps through the parking lot towards an uncertain future, her car filled with mortal dreams, one furtive glance at him, then a still longer tender one for me. I cannot think. It will pass far too quickly. There. One goodbye not followed by another. What will be.

May 29, 2023 12:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Amanda Rye
00:17 Jun 05, 2023

Haha this felt like a fever dream. Well done! :) I love the style.

Reply

Joe Smallwood
02:54 Jun 05, 2023

Thanks for the feedback, Amanda. I was starting to feel like no one understood the story! I will remember that you wrote this.

Reply

Amanda Rye
12:31 Jun 05, 2023

Of course! I love how the story really takes us into her mind.

Reply

Joe Smallwood
21:27 Jun 06, 2023

👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zatoichi Mifune
17:22 Jun 04, 2023

Great story! You recommended this one to me after I read Survey Says! Like you said, different style, but like you didn't say, still completely amazing! (Personally I prefer Survey Says! but I still love this one.) So what he imagines comes true like gossip as well as what he says? Sorry for being the second person to say it wasn't clear - Well, I was only saying that in a way.... Its a bit too subtle for me, I don't understand subtlety at all! 🙃

Reply

Joe Smallwood
19:21 Jun 04, 2023

Hi there! Yeah it was an experiment and it didn't work out. But with writing most stories don't work out. The really good stories have many many failed attempts to stand on. By the way, you are supposed to be subtle and make the reader think, but not so subtle that every reader doesn't get it! 🙄 Anyway follow me, write something and give it a whirl. I'll read what you write. Cheers!

Reply

Zatoichi Mifune
08:05 Jun 05, 2023

Thanks! I'd love to write something, I have at least 2 stories lined up, I'm just waiting for the right prompt! 🙂

Reply

Joe Smallwood
08:56 Jun 05, 2023

👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
13:01 May 29, 2023

So him imagining her with someone else makes it come true? Have I got that right? Nice picture painting but not sure I understood it all.

Reply

Joe Smallwood
13:36 May 29, 2023

Fantasy is one of my chosen catagories and "A curse on me, who is neither human nor uncreated." I am cursed with this power that ruins my life. My wife didn't get it either. Oh well it was interesting to write.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:27 May 29, 2023

My fallacy not yours. You are still one of my faves.

Reply

Joe Smallwood
16:25 May 29, 2023

Eh! I edited it! Let me know if it is clearer?

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:53 May 29, 2023

Okay... He is envisioning their future together that he created...

Reply

Joe Smallwood
16:59 May 29, 2023

Thanks Mary! Now I need to read your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.