4 comments

Fiction Urban Fantasy Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Fade In:


Ext. City street - day                                                 Act   1


We open on a busy New York intersection. A tall blonde Black woman with a mock-up of angel wings is crossing on the pedestrian. The construction bang, gibberish, and stomping over rain puddles as background sound. Tires screeching to a halt. We see a tall blond Asian man in a black tuxedo crossing the pedestrian from the other side of the street. The crowd is multicultural, bursts of color in the shot (shades of magenta). 

The two come to a face off with a lingering stare, heads turn towards each other while they walk. (close-up shot in slow motion). The blonde sees the back of the guy, his backpack, dripping with crimson fluid. The top of the backpack slides open and two eyes watch her (no blinking).


Cut To:


Int. New York Apartment - Bedroom - Night                                   1:2


Glittery wallpaper sequence in rainbow colors. A white bed in the middle of the room. It hosts Angel. Arms over duvet along her body. Sleeping mask on her eyes. Blonde hair splayed on the pillow.

She remembers eyes looking at her from the backpack, thinks about the guy, mentally calls him Tux. (enter blue tone edited flashbacks).

Just then, she takes off the mask abrasively and blinks the frustration away while looking at the ceiling.


Intercut Angel’s Dream 


She dreams of the future. A year has passed. Angel is with Tux. She is pregnant and expecting. She asks him about the eyes in the backpack. 


Int. Suburban home - nursery - Tuesday evening                              Act 2:1


Tux is having a mental episode (actor to rewatch The Shining for inspiration). Stands hunched over an unborn baby’s crib, starts audibly babbling to himself in front of pregnant girlfriend. She is rubbing her belly while stretching on the floor in yoga pants and a sports bra.


Angel

Who are you talking to?


Tux

Do you think the wind has a place it calls home?


Angel

Do you hear that?


Tux

It’s the sky, getting ready for a storm.


Angel stands up. She’s panting. Just then, her waters break.


Angel

I have to give birth, it’s time.


Tux

Wait. Before that, death had not yet come.


Angel

To whom?


Tux

To that thing in the cradle.


Tux turns around to face Angel. She looks terrified and backs away. He stares at her without blinking. She remembers the backpack creature.


Angel

Is he still covered in blood?


Tux

All his blood flows in you, only a disembodied existence is in him.


Angel

How did this happen?


Tux

You know the answer.


Angel shakes her head and backs away to the door. Stumbles out into the living room with Tux following her without breaking eye contact.


Angel

You lied to me.


Tux

Tell me, whose eyes does he have?


Angel

I don’t know. I didn’t see him.


Tux

Don’t you dream about him every night?


Angel

Do you know my dreams?


Tux

I inspire them in you every day.


Int. Suburban home - living room                                             2:2


Angel falls to the floor in cramps. She turns to lie on her back and breathes heavily through her mouth. Tux comes over and kneels down by her side, placing a hand on her pulsing stomach. His eyes go pitch black.


Angel

You are the devil’s wish upon me!


Tux

Angels sold me the idea of you.


Angel

I will not give you my life!


Tux

It has been promised to me for years now. I’m here to claim what’s mine.


Angel

Not today, Satan! If I stay here with you, I will surely die!


Tux

 Only to be turned into a haunting spirit…


Angel

 Forever seeking revenge!


Tux

If you leave me, I will reap your harvest anyway.


He positions himself by her legs, sensing she won’t be able to resist to start pushing for the baby. Angel’s body shakes from spikes of agony.



Int. Suburban home - living room - carpeted floor (home delivery scene)           Act 3:1


Tux

Your subjection is better than using wings to fly


Angel

Setting you free of me is better than keeping my life!


Tux

I won’t let you go. I’ll find you again.


Angel

Why do you have to be like this?


Tux

So that you’re mine! So that you choose me every time!


Angel gives out an earth shattering groan. Tux holds both his hands over her kneecaps and squeezes her legs shut.


Angel

(panting) Your fate will not keep me here!


Tux

But my despair will! You won’t be able to fight him off of you!


Baby screams in the distance. The sounds are coming from the nursery.             3:2


Angel

Your despair is left all alone in the dark!


Tux

Confess it, do you choose him over me?


Angel

You make my heart bleed!


Tux

I sprinkle your heart with life.


Angel

You deprive me of all strength!


Tux

Still, I inspire you with the power of love.


Angel

That kind of power makes me weak...


Tux

I fell in love with this weakness in you, your fatal flaw, the fact that you’re an angel.


Angel

I know you are my last word.


Tux

Say it then…


Angel

The eyes of a star-crossed lover! These were what I saw!


Tux

Yours are burning like the stars!


Angel

I’ll give birth to my past then, and I’ll gift you with it! 


Tux

You killed him! He’s silent!


Angel

(Whispers) That’s because the storm is over.


Tux

(Holds a newborn) It’s a girl!


Angel

Name her after my love.


Tux

What should I call her?


Angel

Free…


Dissolve To:

We close on the view of the living room, zooming out through the window, further and further away and up into the sky. We see the whole house and the environs. A dog is howling out of range. The shot of the sky with one shooting star, crossing the distance. The camera turns back to the faded out neighborhood. Zooming in. Cutting through the crowns of the trees and the rooftops of the houses. Getting the clear view of the house again. Slowly creeping closer to the window, letting ourselves into the living room. (Enter slow motion) Seeing the woman on the carpet, and getting a close-up of her face. (Actress to rewatch Twilight’s coming to life scene for inspiration) She’s motionless, but looking more lively with each passing second. The man is holding the baby. His eyes are closed, and he’s babbling to himself inaudibly. The sound of Angel gasping for air dramatically.



THE END.

July 02, 2024 17:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

David Sweet
18:17 Jul 06, 2024

Interesting idea.

Reply

21:32 Jul 06, 2024

Thank you! It was fun to write

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Nghiem
13:10 Jul 07, 2024

Excellent job, I am impressed with your poetic presentation. Normally active tense is better than passive tense, but you used this to make a more poetic flow. Very nice. I think you should write more scripts for stage or film, please consider. Keep writing and finding creative ways to adapt your stories into different genres and formats for publication or production. Nice job!

Reply

18:49 Jul 07, 2024

Thank you so much! Creative writing is such a joyous endeavour!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.