Journey Through the Starry Pool

Written in response to: Write a story that includes the phrase “Maybe in another life.”... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Adventure Fiction

Addy had always loved hiking through the mountain ranges that surrounded her town. She loved the feeling of being surrounded by nature, the fresh air, and the peace and quiet that came with it. One day, while on a solo hike, she came across a pool of water that glistened like stars in the sunlight. Intrigued, she approached the pool and peered in, transfixed by its beauty.

As she leaned over the edge, she suddenly lost her footing and tumbled headfirst into the pool. The world around her dissolved into a blur of colors, and she felt herself being pulled through a vortex. When she emerged on the other side, she found herself in a different world altogether.

The surroundings were unlike anything she had ever seen. The trees towered above her, and the air smelled of fresh pine and wildflowers. As she looked around, she saw a group of elves riding on horseback. One of them, a handsome elf with piercing blue eyes, rode up to her.

"Who are you?" he asked.

"My name is Addy," she replied.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, scanning the area for any signs of danger.

"I don't know," she replied, still trying to get her bearings. "I was hiking and stumbled upon a pool. The next thing I knew, I was here."

The elf introduced himself as Kael, an elf knight charged with protecting the realm of Harshum. He explained that the pool was a gateway between her world and theirs. Kael offered to take her to the nearby elven kingdom where she could rest and recover from her journey.

As they made their way through the forest, Addy couldn't help but feel like she was in a dream. The lines between fantasy and reality were blurred, and she had no idea how to get back to her own world. Kael was kind and patient with her, explaining the intricacies of the elven kingdom and answering her many questions.

But as they neared the kingdom, they heard the sounds of battle. Kael's expression turned grim as he spurred his horse forward towards the source of the commotion. As they emerged from the forest, Addy saw the full scope of the battle.

A fierce battle was raging, and the ground shook beneath her feet as she tried to find her bearings. Trolls were charging towards the elven knights, their large frames and gnarled features sending shivers down her spine. Kael drew his sword and charged forward, cutting through the trolls with ease.

Addy stood back, her heart racing as she watched the battle unfold. She had never seen anything like this before. As the battle raged on, she noticed a dark figure in the distance, watching the chaos with a cold and calculating gaze.

Kael noticed her staring and followed her gaze. "That's the Dark Lord," he said gravely. "He's been trying to reach your world for a millennium. He wants your soul. It's what will make him immortal."

Addy was horrified. She had no idea what to do. Kael explained that time was not the same in her world as it was in Harshum. She had to go back as soon as possible, or the Dark Lord would have her soul forever.

Just then, a majestic Phoenix swooped down from the sky and landed beside Addy. It spoke to her in a voice that was both comforting and commanding. "You must return to your world, Addy," it said. "You must use the pool to get back home. But beware, the Dark Lord will stop at nothing to capture you. You must be strong."

Kael nodded in agreement

Addy couldn't believe what she was seeing. An army of trolls was charging towards the elf knights, who were fighting fiercely to defend their land. She looked around and saw a group of elves staring at her in amazement.

One of them, a young knight with piercing green eyes and pointed ears, quickly approached her. "What are you doing here? This is no place for a human."

Addy tried to explain that she had no idea how she had ended up there, but the knight didn't seem to believe her. Suddenly, the ground shook as a group of trolls got closer. The elf knight drew his sword and prepared to fight.

Addy watched in horror as the battle unfolded before her. The elves fought bravely, but they were outnumbered. The trolls were gaining ground, and it seemed like there was no hope.

Just then, Addy noticed a golden turtle swimming in the pool of water nearby. She had never seen anything like it before. The turtle swam towards her and spoke in a gentle voice.

"Don't be afraid, Addy. You are here for a reason."

Addy was taken aback. "How do you know my name?"

"I have been watching you," the turtle said. "You have a special gift that the Dark Lord wants to steal. Your soul will make him immortal."

Addy was confused. "What are you talking about?"

The turtle explained that time was not the same in Harshum as it was in Addy's world. The Dark Lord had been trying to reach her world for a millennium, and she was the key to his immortality.

Addy didn't know what to do. She was just a regular girl, with no special powers or abilities. But the turtle assured her that she was stronger than she thought.

"Look deep inside yourself, Addy. You have the power to defeat the Dark Lord and save both worlds."

Addy closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She felt a surge of energy coursing through her body. When she opened her eyes again, she saw that her hands were glowing with a soft, golden light.

The elf knight, Kael, had been watching the exchange between Addy and the turtle. He was impressed by her bravery and determination. "We could use your help," he said.

Addy nodded, and together with Kael and the other elf knights, she fought back against the trolls. Her powers grew stronger with each passing moment, and soon, she was able to take down entire groups of trolls with a single blast of energy.

The battle lasted for hours, but finally, the trolls began to retreat. The Dark Lord had failed in his attempt to steal Addy's soul, and Harshum was safe once again.

As the sun began to rise over the mountain range, Kael turned to Addy. "You are a true hero," he said. "Maybe in another life, we could be together."

Addy smiled. "Who knows? Maybe we will."

The golden turtle swam over to Addy and whispered in her ear. "Remember, Addy, you are stronger than you think. Your destiny is to protect both worlds."

With that, Addy was whisked away back to her world, leaving behind the magical land of Harshum. She knew that she would never forget her adventure, and that she had a duty to protect both worlds from harm. Maybe in another life, she thought, she would return to Harshum and fight alongside Kael and the other elf knights once again. But for now, she was content knowing that she had fulfilled her destiny.

May 02, 2023 15:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.