2 comments

Adventure

Jack stepped hard on the pedal of his second-hand car, as he sped away from the life he'd always known. His laptop sat on the passenger seat, his faithful companion for the past weeks, a symbol of the writing career he was determined to build. As he drove, he thought about Jill, the nomadic blogger he was racing to meet, unaware of the intricacies of her personal history that had shaped her.

Jack swerved awkwardly around a sharp bend, the car's worn tires screeching. He pulled over, heart racing, and took a few deep breaths of the night dew, and a faint smell of wild jasmine hit his nostrils. He needed to calm down; otherwise, he would never reach his destination. He liked to travel long distances in the evening, when traffic was lighter and he had the luxury to stop and gaze to open stary skies, far away from the buzzy cities; but this also posed a danger, since the route was never traveled before, and hidden hazards could appear in every turn. He opened his laptop to check Jill's latest blog post, to steady his nerves and reaffirm his purpose. Jill brought again to him vivid pictures of far-off places that he was getting closer each passing day. Jill, born to hippie parents, had never known a stable home, her life a constant journey since infancy.

Jack, secretly, had been preparing for this journey since his teens. He was meticulously planning every detail while maintaining the facade of the dutiful son. He balanced his parents' expectations with his secret dreams of becoming a writer, far away from the stifling family environment. As he drove, he dictated notes for his next blog post, his voice recorder capturing the excitement for the open road and newly discovered places. He liked recording everything while his impressions were fresh, he could edit later, but the excitement he need it as fresh as possible. Meanwhile, in a bustling Mediterranean market, early in the morning, Jill, was in a discovery expedition along with her mother who was examining local handmade crafts closely to copy the technique and style. Afterall, it was her mother's jewelry-making and father's photography that had been funding their nomadic lifestyle for years.

Jack felt a twinge of guilt as passed through the customs and crossed yet to another country, further away from his parents, for the first time in his life. His parents were unaware of his true destination or his intention to not come back for a while, if ever. His mind resurfaced their proud smiles as he'd told them about the summer program studying ancient architecture in the south. It was the perfect excuse, a logical next step after completing the engineering degree they'd wanted for him. The trip was the reward for finishing his degree with honors and on time. He would be travelling further that either of them had travelled and they felt he deserved it.

Jack had never the intention to attend any seminar, but he did not want to face his parents’ disappointment and objections for the choices he had made. He dulled his guilt for the deception by focusing on his growing audience, each new post bringing him closer to the life he envisioned. Jill, checking her own blog stats, wondered if her followers understood the price of constant motion - no lasting friendships, no place to truly call home. Jill was an ever optimist, so her posts presented the richness, not the hurdles of life. She wanted to bring out the brightness not the darkness of her existence.

Jack had stumbled upon Jill's blog a couple years back and was captivated not just by her adventures, but by the depth of her insights. Her stories had become both his escape and his inspiration until he mustered up the courage and contacted her, some months ago. Their online conversations had grown from casual comments to deep, night-long chats and videocalls. Jill found herself opening to Jack in ways she never had before, sharing doubts about her lifestyle that she'd never voiced to her free-spirited parents. Jack seemed oblivious to the difficulties of her life, viewing nomads through the rose tainted glasses of an outsider.

Jack's writing evolved as he traveled, each new experience shaping his voice. He wrote about the architecture he'd studied, blending technical insights with poetic descriptions of ancient stones and modern skylines. His posts captivated both square headed engineers and free-spirited poets. He invited Jill to comment on his writing and when she read his posts, she felt a connection to his perspective - a blend of the structured world she craved and the artistic soul she recognized.

Jack's car sputtered as he ferried across to another country. He used the downtime to edit his latest post, weaving in historical facts with personal observations. His followers were growing, drawn to his unique blend of travelogue and architectural critique. Jill, meanwhile, was beginning to question the purpose of her constant movement and was impatient to meet Jack to learn his take of a rooted life. She wanted to know what motivated Jack to take off; maybe that way she could justify her parents’ need for constant change. She wanted Jack's rooted knowledge to counteract with her rootless existence.

Jack's journey across Europe became a series of stories, each breakdown and detour an excuse for another blog, fodder for his increasing popularity. He wrote about the people he met, the buildings he saw, each post a step towards the writer he was becoming. Jill, following his journey online, found herself looking at familiar places through new eyes, Jack's fresh perspective reigniting her own passion for discovery.

Jack's driving grew more confident as he neared the Mediterranean, his excitement building at the thought of finally meeting Jill. They had agreed to co-author a series of articles, blending their distinct viewpoints on travel and place. Jill, nervous about the collaboration, realized she was equally excited about meeting someone who seemed to understand both her wanderlust and her unspoken desire for connection.

Jack kept refining his writing style, each post gaining more engagement. He had begun to feel more sure about his decision to step outside his comfort zone and venture to the unknown. He and Jill had begun to plan their joint project, their online discussions sparking with creative energy and unacknowledged attraction. Jill found herself looking forward to their meeting with an intensity that surprised her, Jack's virtual presence a stabilizing force in her ever-changing world.

Jack's car groaned as he wound along coastal roads, the sea air carrying promises of new beginnings. He was composing his next post in his head, imagining how Jill might respond to his words. For the past few days, Jill was constantly into his mind. He had fallen for her, but he had not come to admit it to himself. Jill, preparing for their meeting, felt a mix of excitement and trepidation. Could Jack be the bridge between her nomadic life and the rooted existence she was beginning to crave?

Jack, exhilarated by how close he was to his destination, stepped out of his car at the stunning viewpoint. Camera in hand, he felt a sense of arrival - not just to a place, but to the person he was meant to be. He knew he would be meeting Jill in a few hours and wanted to be worthy of her, an equal match. Like Icarus flying too close to the sun, Jack's euphoria made him careless. Unsteady from the long drive, Jack lost his footing on the loose gravel. As he fell, his mind raced not with regret, but with story ideas, his writer's instinct strong even in his final moments. Just as Icarus plummeted into the sea, Jack tumbled down the cliff, his journey cut short as he reached for his dreams, into the depths of the blue Mediterranean Sea.

Jack's last thoughts were of the stories he'd told and those yet to be written. His blog, "Blueprints of a Journey," had become more than a travelogue - it was the blueprint of his own transformation. As his consciousness faded, he imagined Jill waiting at the café, unaware that their paths would never cross in the physical world.

Jack's story would serve as both inspiration and caution. His blog became a posthumous sensation, touching thousands with its tale of daring to chase one's dreams. His parents discovered a son they'd never fully known, while Jill found in his words the courage to forge a new path, balancing ambition with prudence. "Blueprints of a Journey" remained a living document, a testament to the beauty and peril of flying too close to the sun, forever intertwining Jack's brief but impactful life with Jill's ongoing journey of self-discovery.

August 25, 2024 21:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Rabab Zaidi
02:30 Sep 01, 2024

Beautiful story but I expected a happy ending.

Reply

Kashira Argento
05:13 Sep 01, 2024

Thank you for reading my story and commenting on it. As a new writer, I need all the feedback I can get. I knew a happy ending was the predictable choice, but I went for the eternal/unfulfilled love instead. Thank you again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.