0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Drama

“It was supposed to be the happiest day of their life…” I muttered, thinking of my parents, and how crushed they’d be if they were here. I wish they were here. 

I had it all. This entire kingdom was going to be eating out of the palm of my hand.

 I shut my eyes, and thought about when I first woke up. 

It was sunny. The bright morning sky came in through the blinds, forcing me awake.

“Kaisa, we’re running late. Get up!” Carissa, one of my maids, was nearly yanking me from my slumber. 

“Come on, it’s your wedding day!” That woke me up. 

“Kaisa, come on. In the tub.” She already ran a bath for me. As I was soaking up my awaited victory, I thought back on how I got here. A peasant girl from one of the Outer Circle clans in the kingdom. Clan Bedivere. My parents had one wish for me when they were taken away, work for the castle. They could take care of me there. 

I got on a cart when the king, Tariss, was taking applications for more staff. The Roundtable Gathering was approaching, and now it’s only a few months away. I began working in the castle, cleaning, doing my duties like a respectable servant of Roundtable Castle. The 12 descendants of the table were each given cities in the kingdom, Arthur’s remaining the royal family. Three from each land are housed here during the Gathering, which meant thirty six more people here. I always thought that my clan would let me audition to be chosen, but now it’s even better. I’m marrying the king. 

“Lady Ridgge,” 

“Please, just call me Kaisa, it’s ok.” I laughed. Carissa and Lollin were my faithful maids, and they kept trying to make today perfect. They braided my hair into two perfect, elegant braids and covered my face in the most lavish makeup. Bedivere only allowed rich girls who they thought could make an impression wear makeup like this. If someone had a chance to marry a clan closer to the Grail Circle, they’d take it. Maybe even the Stone Circle.

They helped me into my rose gold gown, smoothing the ends as I blushed. I couldn’t wait to see myself.

“Don’t you look gorgeous!” Lollin gripped my shoulders, squealing like it was her wedding day. 

I couldn’t help but smile at the excitement. 

“You don’t even look like,” 

“A peasant girl.” I sighed, looking in the mirror. I look not even close to how I did a year ago. 

“You know I didn’t mean it like that.”

“It’s ok. I get it. I’m in Grail Circle, and I’m never going back to Bedivere. There's nothing left for me there but ash and memories. That’s not my home anymore.” 

“To think, you’re going to be our queen!” Carissa was nearly crying, and the ceremony hadn’t even started. 

I’m going to be queen. And I'm going to be a great one. 

“Don’t you look like a sight for sore eyes.” Annalin, the princess.

“Annalin, you looked pleased to see me.”

She scoffed. “Like anyone would be pleased to see you. Kingdom stealer.” 

“It was never going to be yours, Tariss is older than you by a good three years. The only way you’d get to rule is if he died, you know that.” Her brows furrowed, and her anger was evident. I really didn’t want to fight her on my wedding day. This day is about Tariss and I, not her jealous rampage. 

“I had a plan. I had a plan, and you ruined it!” She charged at me, ripping off my flower crown, and clawing at me. 

“You’ll never have it! My brother, or your precious kingdom!” Servants forcibly pulled the princess off of me. Yeah, she hates me. 

“I will in a fortnight. Fortunately, my coronation is coming. You, my dear, don’t get a say in anything. But I’d love for you to join my council. Your war strategies are impressive.” I grabbed the flower crown, tossed my hair, and left for the carriage. 

“She’s such a total -” 

“Language, Libbiana.” The king’s assistant was scolding my sister. She married someone from Clan Gareth, so it was rare to see her. 

“That’s no way to talk to the Maid of Honor.” She bragged, smoothing out her lavender dress. It fit her like a glove, and made her look like royalty. I could only dream of how Lily looked. “I can’t wait to move into the castle with you! Gabe and Lily will love it!” It was decided that she, her husband, and their adoptive daughter would move in. 

“I’m sure,” I wasn’t myself. Libby must’ve noticed, as she looked down at my jittery hands with concern.

“Asa, tell me what’s wrong. Are you getting cold feet?” 

“You can’t get cold feet, we’re almost here!” Asireé was about to have a heart attack.

“It’s not that,” I assured her. “It’s his sister. The royal pain. I know she wanted to be queen, but I can’t help it that Tariss is the oldest, and he chose me. It’s not like he could’ve given up the title. His parents would be furious.” I wiped at my eyes, flicking away the tears threatening to trickle down my face. 

“Don’t you dare.” Libbiana snapped me out of my thoughts. “You are about to become queen of Camelot. You can not let her win. Not for anything. You’re marrying the love of your life, isn’t that more important than the pampered princess not getting everything she’s ever wanted for once?” I nodded. 

“Think about how most people in our side of Bedivere live. How we lived. Beyond the Stone Circle, is a world of bleak. The outer four lands are lost in a world of ruin that we didn’t ask to be born into. Now you finally get the chance to prove em all wrong, starting with Tonya and Arnold, and especially Annalin.” At least his parents liked me. 

“I know, Libby. I’m aware.” I sat up straight, smoothed out my dress and pondered on what today was truly about. Love. 

The ceremony was beautiful, just how I always pictured my wedding but never thought would happen. Lights everywhere, butterfrost cake, a bouquet of golden roses at each table for everyone to admire.

My parents would love this. 

Everyone was in awe of how I looked, they weren’t expecting a peasant girl from the Outer Circle to look so elegant. 

My heart was beating, and everything went by so fast. I was an unofficial queen, already aiding the king, my official coronation would be soon. But that couldn’t even compare to this. 

“Kaisa,” 

“I know,” I looked at my sister as she grabbed my hands, holding back her tears of joy.

“I miss them too.” 

The ceremony felt like a blur, like everything was happening so fast. And then we were married. 

“How does it feel?” The princess was approaching us, giving us that look where you know she’s going to do something stupid. 

“Amazing, if you must know, dear sister.” He smirked, holding me close as if to say that everything was ok. 

“Hmm, likewise. I’m pleased to welcome you into our home, sister-in-law.” If looks could kill, this entire gathering would be on the ground, lifeless. 

We ate, drank, and laughed. I don’t think I’ve ever been around so much luxury in my life. 

“To our Bediverian sister!” Libbiana made a toast, the group following in praising us. 

“Is it everything you wanted?” Tariss whispered to me. 

“More.” He kissed me lightly, and time froze. It seemed like everything was melting away. 

Because it was. Ice was forming on the walls, the gold roses were melting. 

“What’s going on?” I held onto Tariss, gasps expanding throughout the crowd. 

Enchantresses.” He whispered. Enchantresses. Of course. 

Morgana, the Haunted One. Hers and her sisters’ descendants lived in the north. Their powers were quite fascinating, I remember Libby studying them.

“What do they want?” Libby whispered. The door flew open, three witches strode down the aisle, skulking towards us. Their gowns were silk, the dark purple almost looked black. The one in the center caught my attention, her jet black hair styled in a bun, the way she carried herself. Her eyes locked with mine. 

“Tariss,” She spoke, leaning over the table.

“Ruby. As always, pleasure to see you.” 

“Ah, likewise King Tariss. Is this your queen?” She smirked at me. 

I nodded. She scared me. 

“The Gathering is approaching quickly, correct?” 

“Why is that any of your concern? You know we don’t look for challengers in the north.” He grinned, grabbing my hand under the table. He could feel my nerves. 

“I am here to deliver a message from our queen. She wants the sword.” 

Excalibur. 

“She’s not going to get it, dearie,” He gripped my hand tighter.

“Every single person knows that only the champion gets the sword, I believe your kind would call it competition. Your kind doesn’t belong here. Your magic doesn’t belong here. You witches live in the north. I suggest you go back there before I give your cowardly ‘queen’ a message myself.” Everyone gasped at the threat. 

“And you, what does Lady Bedivere have to say about all this, hmm?” All the attention turned to me as my skin began to heat up.

“You need to leave. I suggest you do it quickly.” I stood up, gesturing to the door. I looked back to see Tariss’s hand reaching for his sword. 

“Ah, I see. At least let me leave a gift.” She reached for her pocket, pulling out a vial and throwing it on me. 

“Tariss,” I was gasping for air as my knees went weak. 

“My queen,” I was in my bed, a cloth on my head. 

“What happened?” I prayed that it was all a nightmare.

“Those witches spelled you. We managed to get the non knights out of there, they’re safe.” My maids and sister were standing over me. 

“The non knights? Tariss is still there?” Libby nodded. Carissa adjusted the blanket. 

“As soon as she cast that spell, Tariss drew his sword. The girls turned into their fairy form and a fight broke out. He told us to get you to safety.” Her eyes said it all. They didn’t know if he was coming back. 

“Libby?” My sister’s forbidding eyes met my tired ones. “You’re not telling me something. I’d advise you to make the conscious choice.” My voice was stern, like I was already on the throne, presiding over decisions, commanding people, leading

“Tariss told me something as we were evacuating the wedding. He said ‘No matter what, make her queen.’

I began to sob quietly.

“My lady,” Carissa began to unbraid my hair. The long brown locks cascaded down my back. “For what it’s worth, you look amazing.” She chuckled. 

“Not the time, you idiot.” Lolin scolded. Even though Lolin was there to serve me, she scared me more than most of the staff. 

“Hey, shut it you too.” Libby wasn’t having it, seeing how I was in distress. She knew how hard it was having to pick a lady-in-waiting. Everyone called me all sorts of names for not selecting one already, seeing it as ‘a disgrace to the Round Table.’

“Ladies!” One of the guards came in, yelling. 

“My lady,” He bowed to me, dismissing the maids. 

“I bear a message from the wreckage,” Wreckage. “More witches showed up, no one expected it. We must get you to the tower.” Pretty sure because I’m to be queen, everyone forgot I carry a sword and a vial of enchanted mist with me at all times. 

“They’re coming, aren’t they?” Libby was already throwing the blanket off of me, pulling me out of bed. The guard nodded. 

We arrived in the tower, crouching on the floor. The only thing I had was a window. My maids and sister were out, I’m assuming to warn everyone and get people to safety. All I kept pondering was Tariss. He sees me when no one else does. He’s already got a plan for everything, whereas I’m always thrown off somewhere to stay hidden. I don’t want to be hidden. I looked out the window, guards were lined up outside as puffs of magic clouded my vision. The invasion is here. 

The tower was small, and cramped, even though I was alone. 

“How long have I been in here?” I groaned, distracting myself by picking at my dress. 

“Nessabeth really outdid herself with this one.” I sighed, not daring to look at the tiny window. I felt too numb to look outside as I wanted to be down there defending myself. 

They must be looking for the sword, but only the champion gets it. It’s passed down by the previous champion. That sword was even more powerful than the king’s. 

What had to be at least a couple hours passed. I played around with the hilt of my sword when I snapped. 

“Get me out of here!” I was banging, pounding on the door hoping someone would hear. Curse this door. 

I took the sword and slashed the handle, freeing myself. The adrenaline ran through my like water as I raced down the stairs. 

“Lady Kaisa!” One of the maids gasped. 

“No, don’t go in there!” Lolin was blocking my path to Tariss’s room until I forcefully shoved her. 

There he laid, looking lifeless. His skin was lighter, his breath wasn’t even audible. Guards and healers alike were standing around him. 

“You!” Annalin would’ve come for my head again if I didn’t lift my sword, warning her. 

I came closer to the bed, holding his icy hand. 

“Is he alive?” I looked to Calis Lancelot, Head of the Guard. 

“Yes,” Calis affirmed, relieving me. “But he’s cursed. A frozen heart. A special spell hand delivered by the queen herself.” 

“When will he wake up?” 

“When the curse breaks, my lady.” His wife, Asherra, told me. “We don’t know how to break it, though. Only the descendant of Morgana herself knows this magic.” She grabbed my other hand. I knew better  than to snatch it away, no matter how much I wanted to. 

The Invisible Queen of the North. 

“Find her.” My voice broke. 

“You know it’s too dangerous for us Southern -” 

“Get out! All of you!” Everyone slowly departed, except the Lancelots and Annalin. They knew to stay. 

“You’re going to have to take over until we figure this out.” General Lancelot rested his hand on my shoulder. 

“What about me?” The princess whined, because that’s the appropriate response to your brother pronounced basically dead. 

“It was his wish -” 

“I don’t give a damn about his wish!” Asherra guided her out of the room. 

“It’s up to you. We can crown you in a fortnight.” He whispered, masking his sadness.

“Make it two.” 

“You must pick your lady in waiting now. We must prepare for your -”

Carissa. Now go, let me be.” 

I had to go on with the Gathering alone. My biggest fear.

“My lady,” 

“Leave us.” 

A few hours passed, and I was still by his bedside. That damned witch will be found. But I had other things to focus on. I wouldn’t allow this kingdom to fall apart on my watch. I loved him too much to fail now. 

“Tariss, I’m going to do what I can. I’ve sent a few guards to the borders, looking out for Ruby.” 

He probably couldn’t even hear me, but it felt like he did. 

Noises of machines chirping filled the room as he began to shake uncontrollably. 

“Guards!” 

My voice was trembling as I watched him fade. All this time I was shaking, thinking of something that could break a curse like this. One idea came to mind.

By then it was too late.

November 16, 2020 22:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.