2 comments

Fiction Friendship Inspirational

      Megan and Holly got together one Friday afternoon to grab some ice cream at the beach. They were laying out enjoying some light conversation while people watching. They were observing a couple a few yards away doing yoga together. “Some things just aren’t for everyone,” Holly blurts out. “What do you mean?” asks Megan. “I just never got into it and believe me, I have tried. But to each their own, I guess. I’m all for meditating but contorting my body while doing so is just not my cup of tea.” After a brief pause, Megan demands, “Holly, I don’t understand why you won’t try yoga with me. I think it will be so much fun to do together and it will be great for our friendship. I really don’t understand how you, or anyone, can dislike yoga. It’s so good for your mind and body!”

         “Ah, here we go again with this. Megan, I am tired of you not respecting our difference in opinion on this. I am so sick and tired of you leaning toward something you want to do even though I am clearly not interested in it. I have made it clear to you over and over again that I don’t like it, and I don’t have to like it. I can’t believe how you’re pressuring me to do something that, out of the two of us, only you are interested in. I don’t have to do something just because you want me to like it. There is nothing wrong with me not liking yoga and I hate feeling like I have to justify not being interested in it. Why can’t you just enjoy it for yourself and leave me out of it!?”

        “But, Holly, so many people have benefitted from yoga and I enjoy it so much and I just want you to enjoy it too.”

        “Megan, I have made it very clear to you that I have tried it many times, before I even met you, and I just don’t care for it. Please leave me alone about it, Megan!”

        “See, Holly, if you would just take yoga you would be less upset right now. You just need to chill out a bit, you know?”

     “No, Megan, I will chill out when you stop crossing my boundary. I am asking you again to please stop!” At that point, Megan walked away and Holly walked to her car. Holly started to feel resentment toward hanging out with Megan outside of work, where they met. They work at Beach Vibes, a trendy clothing store in their town. They soon became fast friends after hitting it off really well. Megan is the stock associate and Holly has worked as a sales associate there for 6 months now and is gaining ground as one of the top sales producers. If she keeps it up, she will soon be promoted to lead sales associate and have a key to the store. 

        The argument on the beach was intense mostly because Holly was tired of Megan being pushy about her favored hobby. This wasn’t their first discussion on the issue which is why it got pretty heated. Holly was starting to feel as though she was being pressured and that Megan might be too inter-reliant for her comfort. Holly was now regretting becoming fast friends with Megan and was feeling stressed out by her need. Holly now realizes she had a bad feeling about Megan at first but didn’t really understand it, so she dismissed it. At this point, however, she felt that the best thing to do was to let things take their course and just stay focused on her sales so she can work her way up the ladder. 

A day had gone by since their squabble. Megan was scheduled but Holly had a planned day off. When Holly returned to work the next day, Megan was there. She was talking to one of their co-workers, Cheyenne, who was also their mutual friend outside of work. Cheyenne saw Holly walk in and smiled and waved at her. Megan turned and looked at Holly but rolled her eyes and strolled back to the stock room. Holly felt weird about that and headed toward the same direction as the office and clock-in area were in the same zone. Holly clocks in and sets her things down in her locker. Julia, the Store Manager, walks in and greets her and gets her ready for the day’s outlooks and goals. 

      Later while working on the sales floor, Megan approaches Holly and asks her to hang a few bathing suit cover-ups that she just steamed and prepped for the sales floor. It is not uncommon for Megan to pass off merchandise for replenishment but today, Megan was very brief and domineering toward Holly. Holly was curious about it but thought maybe she was reading too much into it and hung the items where Megan asked her to. A few customers walk into the store and Holly greets them. She ends up spending a good deal of time with them, assisting with their wardrobe needs, and ends up making a big sale. The whole team gave her high fives while Megan stood back with her arms crossed and indifferently said, “good job,” before she walked away. Holly couldn’t brush that reaction off her shoulders and decides to approach Megan after the shift is over. 

       Hours later, she and Megan are both leaving for the night and Holly turns and asks her, “Hey, are you still upset with me about the other day?” Holly was surprised by Megan’s response. “How can I not be upset that my friend doesn’t want to hang out with me?” “Megan, it’s not about that and you know it. It is clearly about you not appreciating that we just won’t always be interested in the same thing and that shouldn’t be a problem. I’m really sorry you’re making such a big deal out of this,” Holly replied. Megan then cries out, “Well, at least Cheyenne is willing to go to yoga with me since you won’t!” “Megan, I am afraid you are acting really unfairly right now and a bit childish at that. I’m afraid we are going to have to go our separate ways and remain co-workers. I won’t put up with the way you are reacting to me about something so honestly one-sided. Have a great night, I’ll see you at work tomorrow.” 

        The next day comes around and Holly is determined to keep her eye on the prize of making big sales so she can finally hit that first-tier promotion. She kept in mind the possibility that as she continues to work her way up, she will be supervising everyone, including Megan. She radically accepted the change between her and Megan and saw the opportunity in the clash as a sign to get to business and try her best to ignore Megan’s silly behavior. 

         A couple weeks go by and Holly is rising as a sales associate and is called into the back office by Julia, shortly before the store opened for business. Julia gives Holly an impromptu review and raves about how well she is performing in the short amount of time she has worked there. She tells Holly, “Usually, I don’t have this conversation with associates so soon after hiring them but, you have really shined. The way you build rapport with customers, offering suggestions, upselling them, and exceeding sales goals so consistently, is not something I can ignore. I would really love for you to consider a rapid promotion. If you accept, you would then be our newest key holder. What do you say?” Without hesitating, Holly accepted the position and was immediately tasked with the responsibility of hiring a new stock associate as Megan had submitted her two weeks’ notice just moments before. 

         Julia opened the door and got the attention of everyone in the store and announced Holly’s new promotion along with Megan’s resignation. Everyone cheered for Holly and sighed and gasped over the announcement of Megan’s decision to leave. Holly made eye contact with Megan and said, “Sorry to see you go. You are an asset to Beach Vibes. I wish you the best.” Megan gave Holly a terse smile and walked back to the stock room. The day went well and at the end of the shift, everyone wished Megan well and it was the last Holly ever heard of Megan. Holly stayed the course and continued to grind and proved to herself that sales is her hobby and her hard work paid off.

January 24, 2021 00:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

17:41 Jan 30, 2021

Amazing story, it had me in tears. If you don't mind, can you please come and read my story, as I am seeking some constructive criticism. Also, can you please like and follow me? (You don't have to, but I would appreciate it a lot).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ijeoma Okoli
13:58 Jan 30, 2021

I kind that liked it. But ..im sorry i have to say this Is it really necessary for the two friends to break up like that? I mean..you could still leave a room for them to connect with each other. Sha...sometimes..i guess we dont always need a happy ending You made megan look like the bad guy here Im ijeoma..please checkout mine.. Favourite hobby

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.