Turning to the sun

Submitted into Contest #99 in response to: Begin your story with somebody watching the sunrise, or sunset.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Drama Mystery

The lacy shadow on the bedroom floor revealed the first glint of sunrise. Mia willed her sore shoulders to turn to the window. She could make out a faint outline of the trees as the yard got a little lighter.

Not being a fan of mornings, Mia could count on one hand the number of sunrises she had witnessed. The first crimson edge was just starting to push past the trees. Thankfully her daughter Angie had left a cup of coffee nearby before leaving for early rounds.

Angie had taken Mia in after the accident. She was flat-out determined to see her Mom fully healed. Being a Doctor gave her extra authority.

"Okay, "Mia laughed, "but I'm fine. Really."

But she was not fine.

The physical therapy, laser therapy, deep massage and of course emotional therapy were all good. Good stuff. Mia just felt like she always had to reassure them all that she was better. Yes, thanks. Moving right along. Hardly any pain at all.

But there was so much pain.

How could she tell them? Disappoint them? Yet how was she going to get better unless she was honest? Did she really believe she could get better? Did she want to?

The rooftops were looking brighter now. Mia wrapped her robe around her in a fluffy hug. She headed to the kitchen for more coffee and a better view. She saw the photo on the counter of Angie and her Dad at her last birthday party.

Angie's Dad did not believe Mia was injured in the accident. He told Angie, "Your mom is always making things up. She just wants attention." "Dad", Angie said "How about you try asking her?" For once, she thought to herself, but kept that quiet.

Angie's mom and dad were going through a "rough patch", they said. Angie's Dad had moved out about a month before the accident. He offered to move back in and that's when Angie put her foot down.

"I'll take care of her," Angie said. He knew she would.

Mia sighed. The accident was like their marriage. A collision of fast-racing elements ramming into each other with injuries resulting. She knew it was both their fault. Jobs, travel, aging parents-it all became a pressure cooker that blasted off at each other. "Just talk," the counselor had said. Hard when talking is the bullet.

They stopped talking.

Mia felt a twinge as she walked to the deck. Had she given up? No. Just feeling worn, like the antique linens from her mom's bottom drawer. Just worn thin. Her left foot still dragged a little bit but Mia was happy to be walking again.

She eased slowly into the webbed deck chair. Looking up, she smiled at the sky as it turned a coral pink hue. The breeze brushed her hair against her cheek. The air did seem a little different this early, she thought. More clear. More fresh. Mia breathed deep and drank in this sweet, tangy morning air.

The dark deck boards felt rough against her feet. Yesterday's sliver had left a red gash. Still, she loved barefoot days. When Mia lifted her cup to take another sip, she froze. The fiery zap of light on her cup's rim blasted and filled the entire table. Mia looked up and saw the light of morning radiating through the sky in full blazing glory!

Her mouth fell open. The breezes whipped the leaves of the trees like a sudden gust of song. "wow", she whispered to herself. The intensity of the light made her drop her gaze. She could see the full golden light as it fell against the skin of her arm. The scars turned from an ugly dark mess into a beautiful map of shapes highlighted by the sun; as if the craggy patterns were a hidden map being revealed.

She lifted hr phone to see the text that had just buzzed. Angie had typed "You up yet? Sun is awesome!" She texted back, "Yep. So cool." Mia realized that for the time she had been sitting there she had felt no pain. She had turned her head and lifted her cup without a thought. "Maybe I am a morning person," she laughed to herself.

The phone buzzed another text from Angie. "Dad is asking about you," the text read. Mia turned to the glowing, golden beauty of the sunrise. The warmth filled the deck. Mia had been avoiding her husband since she moved in with Angie. She has been finding ways to have her daughter be the messenger.

Yet, this amazing warmth was stirring something in her. Maybe if mornings had a beauty she did not know about.....maybe husbands and wives have hidden sides too. She smiled thinking about their wedding day and how much fun they had together.

Mia put the phone in her robe pocket and went inside. "Maybe".

She know her body needed time to heal. It is easier to consider broken bones instead of broken hearts. Mia heard a car in the driveway. Strange. Angie works all day today. Limping over to the picture window, she stretched over the sofa to see the driveway.

No car. What did she hear? Curious now, Mia slowly walked to the front door. She managed the heavy bolt and pulled the large mahogany door open just a crack. Through the screen door, Mia saw something and grinned.

A vase of flowers was on the step. Tulips, her favorite. A large sheet of paper under the vase said in large letters, "Your sweetie forever. Hope you are okay. Micheal" Mia brought the vase to the kitchen counter. The card read, "You are my sunshine." That was their favorite song. Mia had forgotten it. It had been so long since she heard it. She pulled the cell phone out of her pocket. She had missed the last text. "Hope you saw your flowers out front. Take care."

Mia walked back out to the deck and sat down. The sun was a little higher now and even warmer. Mia lifted her face to the sun and felt the warmth and the hope. Her phone buzzed again. She smiled.

June 25, 2021 19:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Lydia Mensah
01:35 Jul 15, 2021

The sun healed her broken heart! Great to know her husband cared.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lydia Mensah
01:32 Jul 15, 2021

Great to know that the bright Ray's of sunlight made Angie forget her pain. That's the gift of nature. Sad to think she was misunderstood as seeking attention.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.