0 comments

Science Fiction Thriller Suspense

I’m Ally, I go to a regular school, in a regular suburb community. Or so I thought. A couple months before this crazy… umm whatever you call it started happening. On the news there was a story about a guy who supposedly was an android and well… looked completely normal, he looked like a human and you would never notice he wasn’t. Nobody in our community or anybody in that matter cared, that was until, what happened. I would almost call it barbaric. Now you probably are wondering what in the world I am talking about. 

  In July of this year a new family came to our neighborhood. Unlike the rest of our neighborhood they never came for community picnics or potlucks. We never saw the kids outside, I mean there was a kid my age so I didn’t expect to see him but the two younger ones I thought I would see. But something was off about this particular family. They would always take the dog out for a walk at exactly 9:00am then, 1:30pm then, 6:00pm and only the mom would take it out. I get it, maybe they just want to make sure that the dog’s schedule doesn’t get messed up. But when the garbage day comes they take their garbage out at 7o’clock in the morning, but it gets weirder, when garbage pick ups are canceled they still put it out at that time exactly. The lights all around the house turn on at 6:00 am and turn off at 9:00pm exact. The only time they would leave is when getting groceries or shopping on sundays.

  I wasn’t that surprised to see the boy in my class that year. His name was Emrit, he acted normal, like the rest of us, but sometimes he would seem “off”.  Almost like a glitch. He would accidentally reveal how intelligent he was. Or finish tests way too fast. But the most unusual thing was that unlike a normal teenager he never went to any stores or any trips, I don’t think I ever saw him eat.  Then I remembered the news segment when there was a guy who was actually an android. I decided to ask some of my friends if they thought I was crazy, but they told me that it couldn’t be because he had joined the swimming team and water and electronics don’t mix. I just thought that I was going crazy so I decided to let it go.

 After a couple months I started to get along with Emrit. I realized that I was being completely crazy about everything. Emrit and I started to hangout a lot more and talk a lot more as well. We became really close, then we started going out. He was very kind and a really good swimmer. Nothing was wrong with him. He was very popular at school and nobody noticed anything off. He later started getting, well... manipulative. When someone said something about a topic he didn’t agree with he would get mad and make sure his point was heard and that everyone agreed with him. I didn’t really care because it wasn’t directed towards me or I had nothing to do with it. He was still very caring and kind to me. Well that was until I brought up the topic of when I thought he was an android, as a joke of course. He took it really seriously and asked about how I thought that he was an android. I brushed it off thinking that it was a trigger point for him or something. Shortly after that I realized he was isolating me and not letting me talk to anyone or when he did he would ask about everything that was said. I started getting uncomfortable with where this was going. I tried to tell people but of course people didn’t believe me. I was really not happy with what was going on and felt like my fact about him being an android was a little more real.

 I found myself trying to find out things that would prove that Emrit was an android.  I started looking up articles and how androids worked. I figured out that the guy on the news was making androids that pretend to have emotions and were controlled by a real human. When they weren’t controlled by a human they would follow the certain code that has been placed. This seemed exactly like the behaviour Emrit’s mom did with the dog and what their family did with the lights. I started investigating more and found out something incredibly shocking. It made me start crying, like really, really crying.

 There was an article that dated a while back about how this organization had been working on a project to release robots to neighborhoods. The article said something about trying to make androids taking over human jobs, so that humans don’t have to work or do too much work. There was a link to a petition to stop this due to the fact that humans would lose jobs and things could go wrong such as “robots take over”. The more I thought about how crazy the robot over take was, the more I realized that it is possible. Nobody has noticed anything wrong with Emrit but if I am right an android has been just mixing in with the rest of us and we haven’t noticed. I cleared my head and decided to see if the petition had reached enough to stop the project but it wasn’t. The article wasn’t that popular and the petition had only reached a couple hundred people. The release date for these bots were from 2019 a year after this was posted to 2025 which is years later. I closed my computer and turned around and…

  He was standing right in front of me, staring at me with bulging eyes and repeating a code  “25,15,21” a small pause then he said “11,14,15,23” another pause then “20,15,15” then the last part “13,21,3,8” He repeated this over and over. He came closer and closer. My brain said run but my body couldn’t move. He got closer. Then he started counting. 5… “MOVE ALLY!” my brain said “MOVE!” 4… I forced my body to move and instead of running away I moved backwards. 3… I got closer to the wall. 2… THUD! I hit the wall and took a gasp of air. 1… “YOUR GOING TO DIE ALLY! YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!” I don’t know if my brain was saying that or if Emrit was.  0… I move  faster than I ever have then… BANG! I was across the room and saw that Emrit had punched my wall write where my face would have been. 

  “Out of breath! Out of breath!” My brain was telling me “You're safe. You're safe.” I had ran out of my house down the street while Emrit chased me. He was repeating the code again.  I had lost him and made it to the other side of town. It was busy even at night. I hid in a crowd of people watching this dude doing magic with fire. I heard a buzzing noise, and realized it was my phone. I didn’t know I even had my phone on me. I opened it and saw that it was Emrit. He had sent me a voice message with the same numbers. I put them in google and it meant something that proved it all. It proved everything I had thought of for the last past months. It meant “You know too much” Now all I had to do was prove it to everyone.

 Yesterday was our last day of school and I exposed Emrit to everyone but to see how that went is a whole other story.


February 23, 2021 23:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.