Three days to Christmas

Submitted into Contest #78 in response to: Write about someone who keeps an unusual animal as a pet.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction Holiday


Day 1


She hears the rough bang on her metallic door, the sound like peals of thunder. 

Taking the flight of stairs, she trudges gracefully down, clenching on the shiny wooden banister by her right and strolls towards the door. All the while Laira remains undisturbed, as she curls around her neck like a scarf. Prisca kisses Laira in the mouth, turns the key in the keyhole around three times until the squirting sounds greet her ears and she releases a reassuring smile and nods. Three days ago, she had that hole lubricated given the annoyingly rusty sounds it gave, like something gasping for breath. 

The door gasps open, just slightly, as her hand holds unto it. 

'Ah-ah, you didn’t hear us knocking this girl?' Christy, who has been fighting with her big handbag, finally, as though the bag had decided to succumb to defeat, secures it underneath her armpit, says. She clasps her palms together.

'Babe, nah sleep you bin dey sleep?' Jennifer follows. 

'Sorry girls, I was just trying to take a shower,' Prisca retorts blindly, her eyes are fixed on Laira and her right hand continues to stroke her head, and slowly down her striking looking tail. 

'Girl, won’t you allow us in? We’ve been standing here for hours?'

'Hours ke!' Prisca draws her eyebrows up in shock. 'When did you guys even get here, Christy? See now… Jennifer is giving you that eye. I know the exact time your car honked and when you knocked and how many times you knocked.'

'Alright, Madam time keeper, can we go in now?'

'Of course! Oh, say hello to Laira!' Prisca pulls her long, resting tail by a hand and waves at them. Instantly, Christy throws herself backwards, almost missing her steps in those high heels.

'Girl, you wan fall me? I beg, my mama still love me,' Christy yells. 

'Babe, how many times have we begged you to dispose off that thing you call a pet?' Jennifer shudders backwards. 


The girls sit close to each other, on the other sofa, far away from Prisca. Prisca continues to play with Laira, stroking her soft back. Then her gaze shifts from the green serpent only to collide with her friends. An enduring smile would run across her lips, as she stares at both of them, the fear clinging, perching on them like a stubborn fly. She stares as though she can see through them: the unsettling heartbeat, the way the blood runs like one that has seen a ghost, down the vessels, the bladder already crammed with urine ready to explode anytime as their thighs keep rubbing against each other, and the heightened adrenaline. She sees the movements, the unnecessary adjustments each girl makes, and hears the murmurs, as though her entire house is flooded with snakes and, perhaps, some lodged between the crevices of the sofas or underneath them. Silent, waiting to devour them. 

'Why are you smiling that way? Hope you’re not planning to do what I am thinking,' Christy crys

'Christy, behave yourself jor. Everytime you will be disgracing yourself,' Jennifer snaps. 

'See who is talking. You think you are bold, right? If she brings the snake forward, you would be the first to run away. Nonsense!'

'It’s ok, girls! What’s wrong with you? What do you want to take?'

'You know my favourite nah?'

'Yeah, I guess I should. Malt! Christy, what do you care for?'

'Just give me cold water.' Christy gulps down saliva before responding. Prisca makes the so-surprised face.

'Really, water? Christy, you of all people?' Jennifer’s face falls in the most terrible shock. 

'Christy, when did you start asking for just water?' Prisca asks. Christy strokes her wig, quietly.

'Someone should help with Laira while I go fetch your orders. Malt for you and a bottle of cold water for her,' Prisca affirms with a hand pointed to each girl. Immediately both girls rose to their feet, backing away, they hurried towards the entrance door. As though at the same time, a thunderous laugh would tear open from Prisca’s mouth. 'Seriously, I didn’t mean to scare you girls that way. But why are you both so afraid of snakes?'

'Please, put that thing away, somewhere, far away,' Christy pleads. Her bag drops to the floor. Jennifer yaps at her. 

'What’s wrong with you and this bag? I thought you kept it on the sofa? Eversince we left your house and drove down here, you’ve been wrestling with this bag. If you know the bag is too heavy, throw it into the dustbin, biko.'

'Ah-ah! See me see transfer of aggression o. Babe, you are just scared like I am and trying to form big girl.'

Prisca chuckles. 'Wahala for who get big bag. Oya, babes, come and have your seats.'

'Prisca, promise you won’t do that again?' Christy begs.

'What did I do for God’s sake?'

'Just promise you would put that pet away? This is the reason we prefer to visit you only at the mall, not your house.'

Prisca takes some time before she finally rolls her eyes, sets Laira to sleep in her small glass house, then makes for the refrigerator. 

'If I may ask, what brings the two of you here?'

'Ehm, Mama called…' Christy attempts to let the cat out of the bag quickly, before Jennifer cuts in, digging her nails into Christy’s flesh. 

'Nothing! We miss you. So we thought of coming over to check on you?'

Ouch! What was that for? Christy employs her left hand to attend to the pain, scrubbing gently as if to remove it, while the other positions a glass of water half way from a closed mouth. 

'Miss me? But it was just yesterday the both of you dropped by the mall. Girls, what’s going on? I smell a rat here. When did Mama call you? Is there something you are not telling me?'

'Nothing Prisca!' Jennifer says. But Christy keeps nudging her with a hand, forcing her to divulge. 

'Ok.' Jennifer drops the canned malt on the glass center table. She clears her throat. Then she continues. 'Prisca, are you really happy? Like how have you been these past months?'

'Great! That’s if I understood you very well.'

'I know you understand me perfectly, Prisca.'

'Wait, wait, I think I know where you’re driving at with all these questions. Did my mother talk you into this?'

'You think?' Jennifer inquires. 

'Cut all these crap. Let's hit the nail on the head. Anyways I don't know why I even requested for this bottle of water.' Christy throws what is left of the water into her mouth, stands the cup on the table, then makes her case. 

'See eh, Prisca, Mama did not talk us into anything. Even if she did, there's no harm, at least for me. We are your friends and want the best for you, truly. She hesitates to take off her wig. 'This stupid wig sef.' Jennifer rolls her eyes: wahala for who wan wear wig, she opines. Prisca stifles a chuckle. 'Like I was saying before I was rudely interrupted,' Christy says, rolling her eyes at Jennifer. 'It's been a year since Damian, your husband, left and you know that marriage didn't even last up to a month, Prisca. Aren't you thinking of maybe finding love again, perhaps settling down?'

'Yes, Prisca. I would agree with Christy, at least first time she said something this sensible!'

'Me, babe, nah me you just insult? Kai, I have suffered.'

Prisca laughs not chuckles, this time baring it loud and boisterous to the world. She knows this is what she likes about her friends, the way they engage in petty arguments over every needless thing. They've been close friends since secondary school days, their friendship sojourning within and beyond the four-walls of the University. Like every other friends, they've had their own share of fights, agreements and disagreements; yet each one always found her way back to the rest, that bond that kept them together. 

'Abeg, abeg, please don't start here. I have heard the both of you. I know you only want what's best for me. I know, I know. But it's not my fault Damian left. Is it?'

'We know. He left because he cheated on you with his secretary.'

If I were the one Prisca, I would shoot that guy in the head even before he got the chance to leave. What nonsense! 

'Christy!' Jennifer barks. 'What's wrong with you? Are you trying to help out or add more salt to the wound? It was Damian's fault, he never deserved you at all. But what about Gbenga your first love? Lucas? Emeka? Ephraim? What about these guys?'

'I don't know. Is it my fault that neither of them loved Laira?'

'Listen to yourself, Prisca. Who keeps a snake around, I mean in the house, as a pet?' she inquires.

'Many people!'

'Like who?'

'Hello! People like me.' 

'It's because of this thing those guys I mentioned after Damien left. For crying out loud you also bring the pet to lay beside you on the bed, Prisca! Who does that?'

'I think I need to come in here. Definitely need to lend my voice,' Christy says. 'Prisca, while growing up you were never a pet person, at least not snakes. Where did this unquenchable love for snakes stem from?' 

'I have always been, girl. You girls just didn't notice. Mind you I studied Zoology at school. I guess it all started when we got admission to the University.' 

'I don't believe you,' Christy protests. 

'Whatever! I'm not really interested in this your strange love for snakes, or when it started. All I want is your happiness. Prisca, I know, we both know you're not happy. And that's the reason Mama called us last night to come beg you, at least try to pick her calls, you are getting her worried,' Jennifer pleads. 

Upon hearing that Mama, perhaps, could be worried, she says, 'Ok. I have heard you. I would start to pick her calls. I only stopped picking Mama's calls because I thought all she only wanted to talk about what finding love and settling down.' 

'About finding love, you just have to. Or do you want us to help you out? There's this hottie I stumbled upon two days ago, at Shoprite. Men, that guy is so cute. You should have seen the way I forgot the things I went to buy , stood there like a statue, drooling over this tall, dark handsome guy in tight shirts and shorts plus the snickers. Gosh! 


'Babe, it have do! You're making me feel horny right now,' Jennifer snaps.

A guffaw rises and splits the air. Then it dies. 

'Thanks, but I am not interested. I will pass. Done with men for now.'

'Really? No now.' 

'Please, let's talk about something else. Ehe! Jennifer, how's this your poultry business?' 


*

Day 2


Prisca has just returned from the mall, the one she owns, one of the biggest in Lagos. A call wires in the moment she opens her door, steps into her living room, and tries to place her bag on the dining table. She hesitates for a while before answering. 

'Hello, Mama, good afternoon.' Mama, doesn't say anything. But she starts to weep, in a way that sounds theatrical. 

'Mama, please now! Stop this!'

'Ebube!' Mama calls her native name, rarely she calls her by her English name. 'What have I done to you? You want to kill me?'

'No now, God forbid! Why would I think of that?'

'But you did when you decided not to answer or return my calls. If it's because of our conversation the other time please forgive me. I will not bring it up again.'

'Mama, I am not angry. Just that I needed a space, some lone time. Sorry, I won't do that again.' 'How's Papa? Okwa aru diya? Hope he's fine and taking his medications? What about Uncle Felix?'

'Your Father is fine. Uncle Felix is fine, he came around three days ago and asked of you.'

'My daughter, how are you?' 

'Mama, I am alright. I'm free like a bird. Ehe, even Laira sents her regards. Laira say hello.' She wiggles her tail as she bears the huge thing to her chest, cuddling as usual. 

'Onye wu Laira? Jesus, this girl! Are you still keeping that snake around? Biko, nwam, throw that thing away!'

'Mama, you've started again o. This is why I have been refusing to pick your calls. She's not a thing. Her name is Laira. Period! Except you want me to hang up.'

'Please don't, my child.'

Before the call ends Mama inquires if Prisca would come down to the east to spend the Christmas which is in three days time, with them, and Prisca says she's not sure, that she is going to have much sales during the festive season. But she knows she's not being sincere, at least to herself. She would have preferred her parents to come over but they wouldn't. The last Christmas, which they barely finished with her, they left in that the mere sight of Laira always gave a run for Mama's heart. So, they stopped visiting. 

Prisca strolls to the kitchen to fix something for herself. 

That night, before she finally fell asleep, Laira beside her on the bed, she chatted this guy on the dating app her friends had introduced to her the day of their visit. Reluctantly, she had the app installed on her phone. So, that night, she filled the online form with her details and, then, she logged in. There was this guy, averagely cute, but his eyes were red and appealing. He had the visage of a gentle man. Prisca read his profile: at least the both of them had something in common. Pet lovers. Especially snakes. Especially Anaconda. She noticed the green button which meant he was online, yet he had refused to reply her tons of messages, not a single line. Exhausted and angry, sleep, which had been lurking around her eyes, decided to force itself in, and closed the door behind it, tightly. 


*

The following morning, as she is about to flip herself from her bed into the bathroom, her phone starts to buzz on the bed. Quickly she pauses, turns around to pick it. She expected a catalog of messages, but only a few words appeared: Hi Prisca! I'm Jerry. So sorry I couldn't reply your chats last night, so sorry for that, kinda cut up in something. Gone through your profile, I must say I am impressed. I will call you later. Bye! 

Instantly, the anger with which had woken up with thaws away, as a strange smile sits lavishly on her lips, and there's that sensation of something gathering in her stomach. Something she thought she had forgotten how to feel, something she once felt with Damian and the rest of the guys. She is about to start at the bathroom door, and the call wires in. Hurriedly, she answers. 

'Hello!' she says. He's talking but she's not listening, she's been gushing over his voice, twitching at her hair and biting softly at the tip of an index finger. He concludes, 'Do you have anything to do later this evening? Can we meet for dinner?'

Immediately her reverie stops, she would regain herself. 

'No problem, after all it's Saturday and I don't think I have any place to be later in the evening.' 

'Alright then. There's this fine restaurant around Lekki, I think you would like. Do I come pick you up?'

'No, I would be fine on my own.'

'Then 8pm it is,' Jerry says before the call ends. Cheerfully she would decide to go through her daily routine: Ensure she feeds Laira with raw meats allowed to thaw away last night from the refrigerator before taking her along for the morning run, into that mascara of pure gold washing down her skin, then waters the growing plants in her garden when she returns. 


*

Day 3


It's Christmas. Everyone is sitting around the dinning table. Not the one at the village but her house. Yes, Mama and Papa finally came over to spend Christmas with her. Uncle Felix can be seen eating his food while Obi and Ada, his children, busy themselves with the goat laps, furiously tearing at them. Christy and Jennifer are unavoidably present. You could see Jerry holding, caressing Prisca's hand, and looking into her eyes. Jerry's Mama is also present; he was two when his Papa died. His younger sister Nnoye is absent, she's studying for a degree overseas. Laira is resting in her glass house. 

The cacophony of voices continues to grow louder, deviant, as it rends the air. Laughter rises and falls immediately the glass is clicked. 

'Everyone, please listen up, I have an announcement to make,' Jerry declares, rising to his feet. 

'I don't know how it happened but having been through three relationship that all ended badly, I thought I would never find love again. Thought love wasn't meant for me. Then, she came along. I never believed in love at first sight but I did. That night at the restaurant, on our first date, I fell madly in love with her. And to think we also shared something in common, snakes, my love intensified.'

Instantly, taking a genuflected position, he walks a ring from his breast pocket. Prisca covers her mouth. The stifled excitement hangs on their faces. 

'Prisca Ebube Ogadimma, please, make my joy complete by becoming my wife. I promise to always love you no mater what.'

'Say yes! Say yes, jor and stop all these shakara!' Christy fires at her.

And what's your own sef? Calm down! Jennifer scolds. But Prisca continues to smirk, rolling her head from side to side. 

'I do,' finally, she says and he slips the ring in her finger and rises to kiss her. 
















January 28, 2021 22:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

C King
14:26 Feb 04, 2021

This story definitely has some good elements. The dialogue was a little hard for me to understand. It felt a little unnatural, but that could just be my unfamiliarity with Nigerian. There also could have been a little more lead-up to the proposal. The main theme of this story seems to be about a woman with a pet snake with a string of failed relationships finally finding a man as passionate about her pet choice as she is. The bulk of the story is the conversation at the beginning where there could have been some more focus on the budding rel...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.