0 comments

Fantasy Mystery Thriller

This story contains sensitive content

Tw mentions of death and mentions of alcohol

It was a chilly September I'm the year 1976. The Flannigan Arms pub, located near Gatwick Airport, was once again packed with customers.

Several off peak tourists stopped by on their way to other destinations as the pub manager, Rupert was checking on the staff and supplies. He caught a glimpse at the corner of his wife and Daughter. He looked over and smiled, also signaling that he would be with them in just a moment. The new born looked around withh tired eyes, once opened it was clear they were a unique shade of Amber and golden.

Rupert then looked over at a photo of his recently deceased father, Ronald Flannigan. It was only recently that he passed away. He was in his early 60s and had battled a degenerative illness that took his life just days after his Granddaugher Ophelia was born. He had the yellow eyed baby girl in his arms as he slipped away. The infant cuddled onto him as if she knew deep down how dire her Grandfather's situation was.

Rupert was surpised how well he had dealt with the loss. Although the 28 year old was sure it was because work was keeping him busy.

He noticed that his wife was watching him, her eyes flashing a silver like tone. He knew she could read his inner emotions, so decided to go over to sit with her on the silky purple sofa that she was settling Ophelia on.

Titania looked at him, "busy day again?" She asked gently. He sighed while giving her a gentle kiss. "Yes you don't need to worry about it" he replied.

Titania wasn't too convinced, "it's not just work is it? I know that. My brother is the same" she smirked thinking of her brother who worked in an office on the outskirts of Stratford. Rupert flinched at that, "like I will be anything like that stuffy gentleman" he shivered. Titania smirked "Well he kind of worked himself to death, and beyond" she smirked. It was ironic giving her main profession.

Both her and her brother were not human, they were once, but now they were the managers of Death. Both Grim Reapers who were really over 400 years old. Although Titania looked no more than 25.

Rupert sighed, "I know that won't happen to me. But it's been ailing since Dad passed away" he said as he felt empty without his father.

Ronald, who was also known as Ronnie, was very sick and had left his buisness to arupert, much to his oldest son Roberts dismay.

Titania applauded Rupert on his efforts in the pub but insisted on hiring some temporary staff. She smiled "a few employees from the palliative ward are willing to help out, and Lady Trevelyan’s Care home. They will be paid by the investment Countess Trevelyan placed to deal with work shortage" she smiled.

Rupert was surpised, "just as well you have connections with the Countess then" he said. Titania smirked "it's no problem, we have known each other for years" she said casually.

They had talked a while when they noticed Ruperts mother looking distraught. He paid attention to her, "mum? Can I offer you a drink?" He asked. She nodded "just a cuppa for me please, I got to keep a clear head for all the paperwork I still need to do to your Dad's bank account. They insist he comes in personally, I did consider bringing in his urn" she lightly smirked. Titania laughed a little "I think you should, and I could pretend to summon his spirit while I'm at it" the brunette woman laughed. Although least to Valerie Flannigans knowledge, Titania had the ability to do so.

The 58 year old woman drew her attention to the newborn in Titania's arms, "awww my beautiful baby Granddaughter" she said as Titania gently handed over the agile little girl. Valerie seemed to have cheered up a lot since being around her family.

They talked for a while, Titania offered to go with her to the bank. Valerie was worried the new mother would burn herself out, but Titania insisted as she smirked. "I'll make sure they get the message" she smirked as her eyes flashed silver. Rupert looked uneasy, "hope you don't scare them too much otherwise you will have to clean up the mess" he whispered. She beamed, "No worries, stuffy bankers are more my brothers territory" she winked.

The three females then left Rupert to have a talk with the Bank.

The young man left to go to his office, he saw all the photos of his family and smiled.

He saw one of his Dad as he was handing the pub ownership over to him. Rupert smirked a little as he saw the disapproving look on his unkempt brothers face. "Well Bob you have certainly improved since then" he smiled. His older brother was 32 in the picture and was on the verge of being an Alcoholic. Thankfully he had cut down and then stopped drinking. Ironically it was because of hos now sister in law. She had stemmed the man's drinking from the trauma of witnessing a Grim Reaper encounter as a child. At the age of 32 he realised that they weren't to be afraid of. And he had a hybrid niece as a result.

Rupert then looked over at a photo of his daughter curled up in her dying Grandfathers arms.

Rupert teared up and grabbed a box of tissues, he questioned how he would do this without him.

While he was burying his head in his hands he heard a voice. It sounded like his wife, he knew as she would telepathically link with others. He listened in.

"Mr Robert Flannigan passed away as of August, he would like to inform you that you need to delete his account and transfer all responsibilities to Rupert Flannigan" her voice said.

He had heard another, and he teared up even more.

"Hehe that wife of yours really knows her stuff" the older male voice said.

Rupert looked wound as he heard Titania tell him to do so. He was astounded to see the transparent silhouette of his father.

"I'll always be here my son..." he said

November 05, 2022 12:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.