0 comments

Fiction Inspirational Drama

I am a 70-year-old man. I am retired. I live alone. My name is Gilbert Alphonso. I was born at the end of World War I. I have always been more of a concrete person than the abstract, digital or technological. I hate computers. Tell me to build a mechanical equipment. I will do it for you. Anything about cars, plumbing, house renovations…I will get it done.

Today, I had to wait in line for almost an hour at my local bank before I was served by a teller. When finally, my turn came, the young lady told me that the bank is going through a restructuration and that they are letting go some of the staff. When I ask the reason, she told me that the bank would like more and more of its clients to use an ATM card. What the hell is she that talking about?

   ‘’What is that? We won’t be able to visit this branch? Are you guys closing? I am an old man and I need to come here to do my banking,’’ I replied to the teller.

   “We are not closing Mr. Alphonso. An ATM card will allow you to withdraw money at multiple locations across the country, and to make bill payments as well. Thus, the lesser need of manpower in our bank. In fact, this is a new trend across the country, and the world. In a few years, people will come less and less to visit their local banks,’’ explained the teller.

   This was a shock to me! I enjoy my routine. Now, I will have to do this different type of banking with no human beings??? The teller told me that if I see M3 Bank branch, then that bank should have an entrance inside the bank to do cash withdrawals in front of a computer and I will be able to make my bill payments as well. I am so not down with this…

   The teller took time to explain and show me on how to use my ATM card in front of one of the three computer screens at the branch. Now I had to carry my bank booklet and my ATM card with a 4-digit pin. She took the time to show me. A few demos, step-by step.

   I told her, that I will try as much as possible to come see one of the tellers if possible. That I was willing to wait. She replied to me with a smile that there was no problem but with time, I will need to gradually start using the ATM and that I will see the benefits of it.

   The days was exhausting. I just got home. I felt like I took a computer class. Jesus Christ! I am an old man and now I have to use a computer to withdraw cash??? What has the world come down to? People losing their jobs because of these computers. Let me cook a supper now then watch the ball game. Try to change my mood with some good old baseball.

   Many years have passed by since the first day of my ATM card given by my bank. I would say that half of the time, nowadays, I would go to the bank, and the other half, use the ATM. I am more comfortable but I am always nervous to commit a huge error.

A few years back, instead of paying $104.11 on a credit card statement, I paid $1040.11. I punched in that extra zero after the four. I live pretty much month to month with my pension. I had to convince the bank that it was an error. I had to contact the credit company as well. It took two weeks to sort this out.

  Each time I go to an ATM, it takes me much more time to process my banking than for an individual that is using this method on a weekly basis. For me, it is just an additional stress. Stress that I don’t need at this age.

   Weather is beautiful. I intent to go out for supper in a restaurant in downtown Miami. We are close to summer. The Panthers are in the finals. What a run! They took out the Pens and Lemieux! Unbelievable! Today I am watching Game 4 of the Stanley Cup finals in this fine restaurant. Lot of fans gathered here. This could be the last game of the season. Even if our team loses, we are still proud of them. Hope to see some rats flying in the arena tonight.

   I got some good seats. I am sitting alone. They gave me a table with two seats. They told me that if needed, they might let someone sit down in front of me. It will fill up tonight due to the fact that we are in the finals. The weather is beautiful. 

As expected, customer, a woman, in her 60’s or 70’s, gets the seat in from of me. I am watching hockey on the big screen and now I have good company. It feels like we are on a date. Honestly, I have been widowed for over fifteen years. I never went out on a date since my wife passed away.

  The conversation is flowing well. She is a Panthers fan since their inaugural season in the league a few years ago. Even though she was a stranger, I offered her a few drinks and even a dessert that we shared.  

   The night was long due to the game. No score. Third period of overtime! I can see my date is tired but still smiling. I ask the waiter for the tab. I look at the invoice and I feel like I am going to get a heart attack. Why? I don’t believe I have that amount of cash on me….

   No!!! No!!!! The game is over! The season is over and the Panther could not win one game against the Avalanche. Not too surprising when you have players like Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Foote, Ozolinsh…

   Everyone is silent. It felt like someone died. I ask politely to the waiter that I am missing $20. He explains to me that perhaps you can ask someone to pay for you. No way I was going to do that. I will do the dishes if I have to. The waiter sees in my wallet my ATM card.

‘’You can pay with your ATM card here Sir.’’

    ‘’Oh yeah? Are you sure?’’

    ‘’Yes. You just need the pin number.’’

I was saved!!! Hallelujah!!! Thanks Jesus! My God! Having this piece of technology on me at this moment, just saved me from embarrassment.

   My tab is paid off, as well as of course the drinks and dessert I offered to this lovely lady. We took time to walk. I walked her to her car and we exchanged phone numbers. She told me that I can reach her anytime. That she had a cell phone.

   This mean…another tech gadget I will have to use???

February 26, 2021 04:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.