Home away from Home

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Start your story in an empty guest room.... view prompt

0 comments

Happy Indigenous Creative Nonfiction

I sat down with a sigh. The midday heat was creasing through my body and I felt the beads of sweat on that rollercoaster down my spine. The pony tail at the back of my head was making me really uncomfortable so I just remove my hair band and prop it all up in a bun. I knew I look tragic wearing my hair that way, but the extreme heat gave me no other option.

I fanned my hands in defense but it was of no avail, so I strained forwards to pick up the newspaper. A quiet creak. I dust it off on my pants and start fanning myself.

After a few moments I casually look at the paper , Lakbima* , and skim through the headlines. Provincial elections around the corner and politicians on their brim of campaigning while on the other end human-elephant conflicts avail with no promising solution. It’s a week old, but I dwell on its content with human interest.

I feel exhausted that I lie back. The quiet cream louder again, now back and forth and then to a stop. I look around. Here I am in a strange room, sitting on a small creaky bed with a coir mattress covered in a beautifully flowered bed dress. It smells fresh of washing and kapuru*, direct from folding in our tradition wooden cupboard architecture.

A small bedside table and a chair sat facing the open window that brought in the sweet cool breeze that enlightened my mood in the current heat. A white laced curtain was pulled back and the view extended to a lush greenery glistening under the bright sunshine. Fields of paddy stood in the horizon flashing its pride to all onlookers. It was breathtaking.

The heat was affecting the plucked jasmine that sat on the saucer at the bedside. The smell was fresh as ever. It was indeed this fragrance that aroused me the most.

The room had a small cabinet in one corner and a few hooks upholstered for cloth. A wall cupboard stood facing the west wall , that enshrined a small Buddha statue on top and below were a couple of framed wedding photographs and graduation pictures along with glassware and cutlery that was only taken out for special occasions, I could say.

The incandescent light bulb hung from the bare roof right at the center of the small room and the blackened surface etched at the ages of cobweb stuck on its glass outer surface.

I stand up and stretch myself. I was extremely exhausted. Now where was I and how did I come here.

“Puthe, kaama laasthiy. Muuna kata hondagena kaaala hitiyanan. Mahansith athine.” that was my queue that told me to go freshen up to have some lunch, as I was obviously exhausted.

“Haaa nande. Mama ennam”, I call out to my auntie that I will come, and I drink the glass of water she had already kept on my table.

I look around, place my cloth bag on the cabinet and pull out a towel.

The water was soothing and refreshing. And I emerge out of the outdoor bathroom freshened out of the midday mood, looking all triumphant and glowing internally.

‘Wathura tika nan harima shook nande’, I compliment the cool water as I head inside for lunch . The smell of fried sprats and polos* curry had been hinting at my olfactory sense for a long time now.

Now again, where was I. I couldn’t still tell my story.

This all began one day when my teaching application was approved and I got my appointment. I was so excited, but just as it happens, this wasn’t at a school anywhere closer to my residences at Colombo*. It was in Sooriyawewa*.

So much far away from the central city in the hottest area in Sri Lanka. In the quiet dry zone of the southern province. It was my first official governmental appointment. I was finally going to be a mathematics teacher.

Now this wasn’t a daily travel job, as 300 odd kilometers really took more than 7-8 hours to exactly reach the location I was given.

I was confused and so were my parents. We weighed all situations into no avail. It was Friday morning and I just had the weekend as I was starting Monday.

Suddenly, I get a call from an unknown number that evening.

It’s from the school’s principal Sir. He exchanges formalities and extends very happy regards for accepting the job, as the kids there didn’t have a formal math teacher in a really long time.

“ Sir I have a small issue though…” I start off. “I need accommodation”

“Yes, yes, that’s why I mainly spoke in urgency dear” he continues.

“The official dorm room needs to be repaired and it’s going to take a month or two, to bring it fully back to a residential existence. Well, you know how it happens when left closed. It wasn’t occupied for a very long time as no teachers came in for any appointment here. All complaining about the rurality and no offense, the heats taking up courage I should say”

Nothing was affecting me from taking up this great job other than just a roof and a bed to sleep in the meantime.

“I called in to say that my wife and I would happily lend you our spare room for the time being, if you are interested and comfortable. We don’t have the biggest luxuries here, just a normal household we upkeep.” He says adding a little laughter at the end.

I was shocked. Taken aback. My heart was in awe of this strangers love and hospitality and suddenly I held back happy tears. I was extremely grateful. here I was helpless and a stranger from the other end of the country extends his helping hand.

“That… that will be such a great help Sir! Thank you so much! I was really helpless trying to figure it all out! Thank you!” I exclaim.

And that’s how it started. Today, Sunday I set off early in the morning with my parents. It was a tiring journey. My parents couldn’t stay for lunch so they enjoyed the sweet tea and auntie’s fresh halapa* before they head out back to Colombo. I was sad to see them go.

Sir lived in a mediocre style village house in the rural neighborhood away from town. It was approximately 10km back to the nearest urban town. The house was in the middle of a large garden. A siyambala* tree overlooked the spring well on one corner. The paddy field overlooked the house from the window side of room, extending far, far away.

The wind was dry in the heat, but the country view was refreshing than the urban smoked up lifestyle I had back home. I just loved the countryside so much more.

Sir had his daughter studying at a university in Colombo. It was just Sir, Aunty and Kalu, the small black pet dog and kitty, the brown and white cat that were also family.

I was their new temporary member.

Now I was getting really hungry. I sat down with sir and Aunty. And we had a heavy meal of white rice, fried sprats, polos* curry, polsambol* and papadam*. This was one of the best meals I’ve ever had!

I returned to my little room later after tea. The warm chit chat on the front porch was so good. From family stories to the school and to the village lads, my heart was already sinking into this new warmth.

The dusk was settling off and the sun was setting in my windowed horizon. I close my Windows to keep out the mosquitos and flick on the light switch. The yellow glow fills my small room. I take out my clothes for tomorrow and set them ironed off. I call my mother to see they arrived home safe.

The crickets chirping in the background with the paddy blowing in the gush of the wind. The occasional hoot of an owl breaking the serenity. The cool chill was now settling down as the heat drew away. I pull back the cane-woven chair and sit down. I smile. I remember life when I was a kid at our village home. I’ve missed it all so much.

Another chapter of my life was about to begin. It was my new home away from home. Strangers that turned into family. I hear the sir listening the radio, one of our most-renowned song play

‘wana siwupawun wani minisun atha,

devi devathawun wani minisun atha,

eh dewathawan, divyanganawan,

manu loe thalaye waasanaawan…’

It means, there are people like animals and so are there people like gods. The ones that are the gods and goddesses are the spirited luck of this human world. I was feeling it. That love.

The night dawns into a whole new world.

I open my diary and start writing.

*

Lakbima – A popular newspaper in Sri Lanka

kapuru-  scented moth balls used inside cloth cupboards to keep away insects

polos- young jack-fruit

Colombo- main city in the Western province of Sri Lanka

Sooriyawewa- a city in the Southern province of Sri Lanka

halapa- a traditional sweet food made from special flour and coconut.

siyambala - tamarind

polsambol – scraped coconut dish

papadam – thin flatbread crackers

June 03, 2021 19:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.