The Cowards of Bowdry

Written in response to: Set your story in a town full of cowards.... view prompt

0 comments

American Western Adventure

    The Cowards of Bowdry

Suzanne Marsh

“Look Sam, Jim Langford ain’t gonna take no fer an answer, not this time. Bowdry is sittin on

a gold mine. We ain’t got no chance of Langford leavin; might be best to surrend the town.

He would let us go if he gets the rights to the mine.”

Sam Digle stared open mouthed at Sheriff Matt Donaldson; some sheriff he was. Sam wondered what happened to law and order.

“Sam, I know as Sheriff it is my job to defend Bowdry from men like Jim Langford. I have

a plan but I am gonna need every one of the men to carry a gun. We have to protect our

women and children. Bowdry has a chance but we have to decided what we are gonna do;

then stick to the plan.”

Sam, sighed a sigh of relief. Finally the Sheriff had a plan; he just hoped it would work. Most of the men in town did not or would not carry a gun. Marty the bar tender had one that he kept next to his leg. Then there was Jed, the barber, he was a real whiz bang, he had a gun, he just could not shoot straight. George the banker was scared of guns end of story. What a bunch of stinking cowards; thought Matt Donaldson. Matt knew that someday he would eventually have to fight the Langford Gang; they had been terrorizing Bowdry for almost five years. Matt, had hoped, that he would not have to face them alone; now there was no choice.

Jim Langford sat tall in the saddle surveying his men as they prepared for the gunfight and massacre they were planning in coming week. Jim chuckled to himself; he thought about the Sheriff, his old friend and gang member Matt Donaldson. Jim was still puzzled by Matt’s actions these past few years. First he left the gang, surrendered to Sheriff Tom Wond; then he turned over all the stolen money from the stage coach robberies. Matt spent several years on the chain gang for his crimes; upon his return Sheriff Wond was murdered in an ambush Jim had set up himself. Matt stepped forward; he would pin the badge on. There was one condition; he would bring law and order only if the town would back him up against the Langford gang. That time had long since come and gone. Matt knew that if he was going to have any chance of preserving the peace in Bowdry he was the only man to do it.

Matt strode over to the Coventry Saloon owned and run by Jenny O’Mera; his one friend in town. Jenny, with her lively green eyes, alabaster skin, and flaming red hair. The Coventry Saloon, was the only brick building on Main Street. Matt, hoped Jenny would be able to convince the Mayor and his group to stand and fight. Jenny stood by the bar, her firey red hair piled high on her head. The moment she saw Matt, she knew trouble was brewing.

“Jenny, we need to talk in your office now.”

“Matt, you are scaring me. What is happening?”

“Two words: Jim Langford.”

“I ain’t a cuddlin up ta him for you or anybody else.”

“Jenny, you got the wrong idea, I want you to talk to the coucil about fightin the Langford

gang. We gotta stop them now or there ain’t gonna be a Bowdry.”

“Is it really that bad Matt?”

“Yep, it is and it ain’t gittin any better. We have to move now, before Langford decideds to

ride in here and destroy the town forever.”

Jenny, watched in fear as Matt began to pace her office floor. He was beside himself.

“I’ll talk to the council members but I ain’t makin no promises. They are a bunch

of sticking cowards if anyone was to ask me about it.”

“Miss Jenny, I been sayin that all along.”

Jenny threw a shawl around her shoulders as she traversed the wooden sidewalk. She was angry; she had to help Matt somehow. He was the love of her life; he had been since she first met him as he tangled with one of the Langford gang: Jed Cotter.

The Mayor’s office was busy as usual with the comings and goings of folks. Jenny marched strainght into Sam Dingle smiled as Jenny entered.

“Jenny, nice to see you again.”

“This ain’t a pleasure call Sam. The Langford gang is plannin to wipe out Bowdry.

They need to be stopped. Matt Donaldson cain’t do it himself. He needs backup.”

“I know that Jenny; but we ain’t got the men to stop Langford.”

“I knowed you were a coward Sam but right about now I am not sure I even know you.”

“I ain’t no coward Jenny but I know when things are dangerous. Jim Langford is

playin for keeps.”

“I guess I shoulda not even bothered but let me tell you Sam: Matt is going to face the

entire gang, he kill as many as he can after that; well only God knows.”

Jenny turned on her heel as Sam spoke:

“Jenny don’t go gittin your Irish dander up. Tell Matt to come to my office long about

two o’clock today. I will have the entire city council on hand.”

“Thanks Sam.”

Jim Langford, glared at the mousey Mayor as he galloped into camp.

“Sam, I dun told ya that Matt ain’t no match fer me and the boys. Just stay put and leave

the rest to us.”

“Jim, I’ve known you and Matt both fer a good many years. Leave Bowdry alone, please.’

“Nope, ain’t a gonna happen Sam, I want the rights to the gold mine NOW.”

“Jim, we got women and children that could get hurt.”

“My score ain’t with them. Get em out of there. It is Matt Donaldson I want; he won’t

give in until I kill him. Now get the hell outa here Sam.”

Sam returned to town, much to his dismay word had spread about the council meeting and more importantly the Langford gang. Sam walked into his office; placed his hat on the rack. The first one to speak was Marty, the bar tender at Coventry’s:

“Sam, I been here for over ten years; I am willing to stand up to Jim Langford and his bunch.

If we don’t stop em now we ain’t never gonna.”

“Marty, what about Coventry’s? Langford and his men will destroy it.”

“It is a chance we are gonna have ta take. Miss Jenny already said that.”

Sam knew there was no other choice:

“Matt, what exactly do you have in mind?”

“Sam, first I am gonna place you under arrest for going to Langford’s camp. That way

you cain’t blab to Jim about our plans. Deputy remove him; put him in a cell, I’ll be

along directly. Most of you boys from out of town carry guns; I need your help. We

can put up barricades to keep Langford from entering town. That ain’t gonna stop him;

each man that has a gun post yourself on top of a roof. I am gonna met Jim Langford

in the middle of the street at high noon. I figure that is about the time he will show.”

The crowd roared:

“We are with you Matt.”

The gunfight began as bullets buzzed the heads of the men like angry hornets. Matt saw Jim Langford, he stepped over the barricade, his revolver on his hip.

“Hey Langford, take your men and get out of town.”

“Ain’t gonna happen Matt. I want the rights to the gold mine and I am gonna have em.”

“Draw Langford”

The shot rang out loud and clear. The Langford gang began to pull out of town. Jim Langford lay dead in the dirt street. The town of Bowdry for the first time was finally safe. The town of cowards were finally the men of courage.

March 03, 2022 20:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.