0 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction Romance

This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives, Josie thought. It is was a happy day or would be, but not the happiest day. For one, her parents were not here to celebrate with her.

         Josie waited in one of the guest rooms in William’s estate while a maid fixed her hair. Even though, she wasn’t having a large wedding, just the opposite since it would be Will and Josie plus the minister and his wife, she wanted to look her best.

         Since she had arrived to his estate in the middle of the night, they had to wait before they could arrive at the church. Hence the reason she now resided in one of Will’s rooms.

         Once the maid had finished dressing her hair, Josie smoothed down the fabric of her gown and stepped into Will’s dining room. Already, Will was there waiting for her.

         William stood and pulled out her seat. “I have arranged for my cook to prepare a small repast for us since it might be a while before we next eat.”

         She smiled at him. “Thank you, Will.” She spread the napkin across her gown to avoid looking at him.

         He lifted her chin. “I’m sorry your family will not be there for our wedding.”

         She fidgeted with her hands and looked at him. “I am too, but I am not sorry that we are getting married. I shall be very happy with you.”

         He smiled. “I will be too.”

***

         Josie’s younger sister, Marybeth awoke in the middle of the night. Something felt off. She stood up and put on her dressing gown. She opened her door and peeked out. No one or nothing moved, but the feeling didn’t dissipate. Perhaps it was the fact that she had heard Josie and their parents arguing last night. Yes, that must be it.

         “I should check on her and make sure she is alright,” she whispered.

         She walked down to her sister’s door and knocked. No one answered. She turned the knob and stepped inside. Still, all was quiet. Usually, Josie would tell her to go back to sleep if she walked in late at night, but today there was no response. Perhaps she was more upset than Mary had originally thought.

         “Josie? Josie.” She tiptoed closer to the bed. She looked and then looked again. The bed was empty and there was no sign of her sister anywhere. Alarmed, she looked around again and her eyes landed on a slip of paper.

         She picked it up and read.

         Dear family, forgive me for leaving you all without notice, but I could not stay. You have forbidden me from marrying the one I love, so I have left. By the time you find this note, I shall be Mrs. William Markwood. I have tried to be an obedient daughter to you both, but this has gone farther than I can allow it too, I know you both care about tradition, but I believe that traditions are not everything, which is why I must break this one. Please forgive me once again for not telling you, but I could not risk you trying to stop me.

         Also, Marybeth if you are reading this, I wish you happiness for your upcoming nuptials and understand if I am no longer invited. I wished so much to tell you, but there wasn’t time. However, feel free to visit me once I am settled in William’s estate.

Your daughter and sister,

Josie

         Marybeth felt conflicted. She was upset that Josie had left without telling her, but she was happy that Josie was with the one she loved. Marybeth, fortunately, had been able to find love and obey her parents at the same time.

         She was about to tuck the paper into her pocket and return to her room when she heard a noise behind her. She jumped and turned around. Her father stood behind her. She hid the paper in her dressing gown pocket, but he noticed.

         “What is that? And where’s your sister?”

         Marybeth laughed nervously. She was not good at lying, but if she didn’t, father may try to stop Josie from marrying Mr. Markwood. “It’s just a scrap. And Josie’s in the privy.”

         He gave her the look he had given her when she had snuck sweets when she was five. “I know you are lying, Marybeth. Where is she?”

         Marybeth saw she had no choice and pulled the paper from her pocket. “But father, please don’t try to stop her.”

         Her father read the paper, his face darkening with anger. “Go back to bed. I’m going to stop this farce before it’s too late.” He left the room, not giving her time to say what she needed to.

         Marybeth panicked, wondering what she should do. Josie and William would not be able to get married until morning, which was quickly approaching. But if her father got there first, he would ruin everything. Which left her with only one choice.

         She ran back to her room, but not because her father had told her to. Then she put on a dress over her chemise. Then she ran down to the stable, making sure that she was not seen by anyone. She saddled her father’s fastest horse and rode. She wasn’t sure whether she should ride to William’s estate or the church, but quickly decided to head for the church. There was no chance she could miss them if she headed there.

***

         Josie waited in the carriage while William walked to the church to see if the minister could perform their marriage. He came back with two people, the minister and…was that her sister? Josie felt alarmed. Did that mean mother and father were there too.

         Josie stepped out of the carriage hesitantly. Marybeth came forward and gave her a hug. “I am so glad I did not miss your wedding. But I did not fully come here for that. Father is coming. He wants to stop you before you get married. I tried to stop him, but you know how bad I am at lying.”

         Josie hugged her sister back. “Oh, I am so happy to see you, dear sister. And don’t worry, I wouldn’t want you to have to lie for me. Will you get in trouble with father for being here?”

         Marybeth shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t care. I want to see your wedding, just as I want you be to at my wedding. Now come on, the groom and minister are waiting for you.”

         Josie nodded and stepped into the church. Just as Marybeth said, William was waiting for her. She stepped up to him and turned to face the minister while Marybeth joined the minister’s wife on the first pew.

         Will leaned forward and whispered. “Are you ready to become Mrs. Markwood.”

         She smiled and pressed a kiss to his cheek. “Yes, I am.”

         The minister went through the ceremony, and they said their vows. Josie tried not to worry about her father coming in before they finished, but she held her breath when the minister asked, “Is there any reason why these two should not be wed?” She had expected her father to step into the church at that moment, but they got through the ceremony without a problem.

         Josie kissed her new husband and then she turned and hugged both her sister and the minister’s wife. They were exiting the church when she spotted her father.

         He tried to stop them, but by then it was too late.

November 14, 2020 03:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.