0 comments

Fiction High School Romance

There are those of us who can say the words they feel with ease, and there are those who struggle. I am one of the unlucky ones who tense up and let the situation fall to pieces. I know that I can't do this alone, so I need help. In my desperation, I asked my friend for advice. “My hair has been trimmed, my tuxedo has been properly tailored, and my motivation is as strong as ever. Tomorrow is prom day, and I am set on dancing with Molly Maples. Throughout all of my time alive, I have never gazed upon such a stellar dove like her."

“I haven’t been able to talk to her since our classes are on opposite ends of our counterfeit educational institution. It’s rather odd how two individuals of completely opposite interests can feel exactly the same way about such a thing. She agrees with me on the important things in the world. That is why I respect her. No! I admire her. I may not be good at singing, dancing, or playing instruments, but I have my talents. I managed to teach myself a variety of things related to physical sciences such as organic chemistry and thermodynamics. I did this because it all felt useless just sitting there in front of that white board listening to some individual who cares not about the world could mumble on about some topic in the manner of an emotionless robot."

"She felt the same way, which is why she entered the music program once she got into high school. She was so keen on getting away from it all. Everyone there had some sort of passion for their arts. Here, in the far more typical and lifeless of the school, everything was static. I live in a world where I am forced to fall behind by a failed system, while she is in a world that suits her needs. She gets time to practice and improve her skills, while I sit here wasting away in this room full of people who know they are learning nothing and know they will achieve just as much in life.”

“I say these things like I am mad at her, but I am mad at myself. I could have gotten ahead. I had the chance to enter university early, but I decided to stay here just so I could have the chance of living my sentimental dreams. I made a decision just so I could have the slim chance that I could be with her. It might be crazy how I let myself fall so far behind just for a girl, but I met her in middle school, and I loved her then.”

   My friend, Maya, said in a soft voice, “I get it. It’s hard to let go of people you have known for so long and care so much about. I don’t know her, but she seems a lot like you. My department is rather big. I should try to meet her sometime. We might become friends”.

“ Anyway, if you are going to make your move, then the best time would be at prom. That would make it very emotional, and women love those things. If you need any advice, then I will help you. Guys don’t really understand women. If you fail, then I will take you out for ice cream later. Now that I think about it, you should probably just ask her to go with you instead of letting her get taken by some street rat.”

“I know, but I am scared. Do you mind coming with me to the music department for motivational support when I ask her?” I asked nervously.

“Let’s do it!” Maya replied.

We made our way to the music department and found Molly’s locker. My heart began to fumble over and over. I guess I should be worried. I could be rejected by the girl of my dreams, and lose the respect of my dearest friend. I shouldn’t be worried. Friends will stay by you even when you fail. Now that a part of my doubt is gone, I guess all I have to focus on is Molly. It felt like I could die. I had to get myself to say it.

“Do you mind telling me which girl is her?” Maya asked.

   I feel like it would be wrong of me to say nothing. We were now at her locker just standing there right in front of her. What was I doing? I can’t even tell Maya which girl is her out of fear. There are countless words in the dictionary and I can’t even spout one. I could make a joke to Molly about adding the symbols of iodine, lutetium, vanadium, and uranium, but she would cringe. I guess I need to work on my pick up lines. Alright! I just have to say it. With all of my heart, I just have to let it out.

   “ Molly, I mean Maya, would you like to go to prom with me, and give me a chance to live a sentimental dream?”

I can’t believe I actually did it. What will happen now. I have already failed. There is no way I can go forward.

In the scariest moment of my life, and through the millions of thoughts in my head, I heard, “No. I am sorry, but I can’t let you live these sentimental dreams you are talking about. I think they are crazy. You can’t live these dreams of yours because I am going to make you live something far greater.”

Through all of the uncertainty, I failed to neglect one possibility. She loved me all this time. I guess waiting a few years might have been for the better. I got to build a relationship and actually fall in love with her instead of rushing into an uphill battle that would end in failure. Finally, my heart gets to gleam because I get to live a sentimental dream.

June 08, 2021 08:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.