"Polar Night"

Submitted into Contest #232 in response to: Set your story during polar night.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Happy Mystery

Last night we sat along the lake for a view of polar night. The temperatures had dropped in the low twenties. The weather was cold and it showed us a beautiful setting of lights. We lived out in the country skirts near the mountains. This was the northern part of the state, where things are isolated. You could see the greenish lights in the atmosphere. The streaks of lighting looked so reachable that I lift my hands in the air.

Everything seem very still. You could hear the coyotes howling at the sky. The universe had shown us it's beauty in slow motion. We lit a fire to keep warm. The air was so stiff, it could almost bite you. I stared amazed at how beautiful earth was and all the things it gives. I closed my eyes and open them back as if I was reading a book. It was as if it was telling us a bedtime story about earth.

I wanted to know was there anything on the other side. Could there be a heaven above us. Maybe another world that was opposite or better than where I was standing. As I looked on, I wanted to climb the trees. I said if only I could sit on the highest branch for a better view. The lights lit up the sky like a jukebox in a cafe. I picture myself moon walking in the greenish blue lights. It reminded me of an old school ballroom from the seventies.

This was one of the most amazing setting that I have ever seen on polar night. The thick layers of snow covered the mountains like a snowman. Everyone was looking off into the universe of the polar lights. As I looked off I said a spiritual prayer to everyone in the world. I felt protected and saw the light as a shield that cover us. There was a flash of lights as if someone was opening a window. I want to believe that my elders in heaven were waving at us.

When the skies are clear and there is nothing polluting the air you get the best scenery. I did notice that the stars stood out like tiny shiny gold buttons. We sat for hours and told old folk lore stories. The beauty of the lights was based off of oxygen gases. It mixes with the particles from the sun. It kind of reminded me of having bike reflectors. I enjoy sitting out back or walking along the lake for astonishing view.

On a polar night the sky is lit in certain areas of the continent. There is the Northern lights and Southern lights. These lights are shown through the earths atmosphere. The energy is given off through a magnetic field that releases gases. These gases creates a variety of beautiful colors in the atmosphere. "Wow!" "We live on a great planet." Earth has it's own chemistry that it bring to the world.

Living on the Northern side shows beautiful streaks of lights. These lights can be seen closer towards the North Pole. So when it's real cold at night you can see the different textures of lights. The planet has it's own energy source. I sometimes wonder how solar power works for us. I realize that the energy through the sun and solar system is resourceful. This is how we use the energy that is needed to live on earth.

The Southern lights have similarities to the north. They too have a variety of different shades of lights. They have been known to flicker with many different colors. These lights are far off and are a little harder to see. If you live in Northern Canada or Greenland you could get glimpse of the scenery. Anyone that loves the colder climates would love to see these lights. I can only imagine how cold and beautiful it is near the Arctic Circle.

The earth's electric magnetic field gives us the opportunity to see a great creation. The planet that we live on has many things to give back to humankind. For example, the lights that bounce of the solar helps us conserve energy. Energy is needed to run a lot of the technology that we use. Without the sun and the gases that are release in the atmosphere, we probably would just freeze. If there were no polar lights, we would be in the dark at night. It may even affect our quality of air.

A beautiful polar night would be in the areas of the colder climates. I could picture standing on top of a snowy mountain and getting a great look at the lights. With all the different colors of lighting it probably has it's own show. It's kinda of magical to see the atmosphere lit. You would think that something is going to come out of lights if you stare to long. I can picture that in the isolated areas where it is calm and quiet with a great view. It's almost as if there is another dimension on the other side.

I sometimes wonder how a painter can take a portrait and paint a beautiful background. When I see the polar lights I can visualize what they see. You can see what and how a painter can create such a beautiful image. It's almost as if you are looking at the sea upside down. I am sure that these setting on a polar night have great stories. They probably have a lot of myths that comes with both northern and southern lights.

Mythology helps humankind understand the polar nights. Old myths can be related spiritually and also scientifically. There are those who believe that their descendants are smiling down on them. Nature has a way of showing us the good in something that we may not understand. When you look at the lights in the atmosphere it seems like another place. Scientifically, it would be the studies that show the real reason for the lights. So in the end, it works out for both sides.

January 07, 2024 20:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.