Contest #176 winner 🏆

102 comments

Fantasy

As a child, I would hide in the coat closet, taking advantage of the door that wouldn’t close, as I watched my mother command the items around the house to do her bidding with the smallest gesture. The moment she heard a sound, the items would set themselves down as if they hadn’t been acting of their own accord just moments earlier. My father would come home and rant and rave about more and more witches being discovered in town. My mother would nod her head politely in agreement, but I knew her secret. 

Whenever the ladies in town would enviously gossip about how my mother managed to get so much done in a day, I would smile knowingly to myself. I knew better than to boast that my mother was a witch, for some reason, being a witch was a bad thing. 

When I was twelve, I could make my room clean itself. I was always careful to hide this, of course. The moment I heard the creak of the floor, or the door swing open, everything went to looking perfectly normal, perfectly un-magical. This went on for a few months, and I remained aware of every sound in the house. I even heard the cat padding by outside one day and quickly dropped the broom I had been controlling with my mind. I didn’t hear my mother’s footsteps one day though, and I can still hear the gasp of horror when she swung my bedroom door open. I can remember the look of terror on her face as it dawned on her that even being married to the pastor of the local church didn’t protect her from a cursed daughter. 

The memories blur together after that point. I remember my father didn’t come home after a hunting trip. My mother told me it was a bear, I knew better. We moved shortly afterward, the tone of gossip shifting from envy to suspicion. The new town was smaller, it would mind its own business as long as you mind yours. We settled in a small two-bedroom house for six months before we moved again. The worry lines on my mother’s face seemed to grow deeper with each late-night knock at the door. One rule was made clear to me, I was not to use my magic under any circumstances. 

One house after the other, one town after the other, we never stayed in one place for too long. On my eighteenth birthday, my mother sat me down. She looked older than she was. I couldn’t remember the last time I had seen her face at peace. She explained to me what we were. She viewed it as a curse, I was never sure why. She explained why we couldn’t practice and what the world thought of us. She explained how she’d gotten too comfortable, and how it wouldn’t happen again; how I couldn’t let it happen to me. 

I stayed with my mother for a few years after that. We finally found a small cottage on the edge of a town that didn’t ask too many questions. It welcomed us as a widow and her grown daughter, which, I suppose we were. I got a little too comfortable once we’d been there for a year. I would go down to the creek and make little whirlpools in the deeper areas of water. Sometimes I would pull pretty rocks up from deep below the almost dry creek bed, even though I knew better. Something about that creek made it impossible to stay away.

I was always careful not to be seen, I would go before the roosters would crow in town, far before anyone would be down by the creek. On my regular walk home after a few months of doing this, I heard little footsteps crunching through the leaves. I could tell the little footsteps were running, and I knew then that we were damned. By the time I got back to the edge of the town where our little cottage sat, there was a group of people with torches and pitchforks surrounding the house. I never imagined I would see a mob quite like this one. It felt almost fake, like a scene from a storybook. As the thatch roof of our house went up in flames, I could hear my mother’s voice, telling me that I should’ve known better.

Part of me wanted to turn and run, but I was still unseen behind an old oak tree. I wanted answers, something I knew I was never going to get. I cursed myself as my mother’s words played over and over in my head. We weren’t supposed to be found. Still, it was done. I knew nothing could be done for my mother. Even I, the one who killed us both, would at the very least be damned to a half-life of running. So, thinking quickly, I chose to do the only thing I knew would solve my problem.

The thing about angry mobs is that they’re incredibly unobservant. They have very little forethought. If they had, they wouldn’t have decided to burn a witch in late fall, during the worst drought the town had seen in twenty years. All it took was the snap of a finger to make an ember fall just right on the overgrown, dry grass that we called our yard. The entire perimeter of our property was engulfed, enclosing the angry group of people along with our house. Another snap and embers landed on roofs in town, causing the fire to spread hungrily from rooftop to rooftop. I stayed and watched, ensuring the only living things spared were the innocent animals. Even children were dangerous and I knew better than to leave my work unfinished. 

I don’t know at what point after the fire I decided this, but something in the ashes told me I could never leave.

I walk the worn path back from the creek to where I rebuilt the cottage my mother died in. The stone remains of the rest of the town are overgrown now with moss and vines. The descendants of the animals I saved in the fire eat happily at their troughs. People don’t bother me here. They hear stories about the witch that razed a town, and they know better.

December 16, 2022 02:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

102 comments

Connor Adams
17:03 Jan 10, 2023

my mom’s last name actually had a word very similar to “witch” in it and people used to tease her at school. but now her last name is my dad’s, or “Adams” (not disclosing my mom’s original last name for privacy reasons.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lily Finch
03:42 Jan 10, 2023

This story reminds me of so many stories of fear and hatred of someone different. It was unique because you had no dialogue in the story. At the end of the story, I wasn't expecting what occurred. Nicely done. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jeannette Miller
17:00 Jan 05, 2023

Congratulations on the win :) An easy flowing story with a solid hook which kept me through the end. Well done :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lisa Young
12:49 Jan 01, 2023

Wow, amazing story! If I get brave enough to enter one I can only hope my story would be half as good as this one. I could really visualize every moment. You had me feeling many different emotions from happiness to tears! Well done and congratulations 🎉

Reply

Kylah Adams
23:37 Jan 01, 2023

You should absolutely go for it! I regret waiting so long

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Patterson
02:35 Dec 31, 2022

This was so captivating. Its amazing how I learned so much about the mother and daughter both in such a limited capacity. Hope to read more from you, Kylah and congrats on the win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
11:58 Dec 29, 2022

Great story!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Moises Trejo
17:31 Dec 28, 2022

Loved this story I made it into a short video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egjKuTXYB2o Please let me know what you think!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jeanette Harris
15:59 Dec 27, 2022

I like how she told she witch, I don't know if I believe in witches or not, when did this story take place, some woman accused being witches

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Parker
15:30 Dec 27, 2022

That was great! They picked a good one. :) Congrats on the win!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Peter Naughton
12:06 Dec 27, 2022

Good story. Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
EVA RAY
10:36 Dec 27, 2022

Congratulations for win . Your story just amazing, well done !!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Story Time
17:32 Dec 26, 2022

I love how witnessing magic covertly became an analogy for childhood and maturation. I agree that restraint was the right way to go. Congratulations.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Palak Shah
10:52 Dec 25, 2022

Brilliant story. Congrats on the win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dragos Marcean
08:49 Dec 25, 2022

Excellent pace and swinging of emotions. In such a short story I as taken from sadness to anger to happiness. I somehow didn't the genocide, even though the protagonist sounds more of an antagonist. Nice job

Reply

Show 0 replies
Karin Cavanagh
23:10 Dec 24, 2022

Congratulations and well done! You had me hooked from the first line. I loved this story, it was beautifully portrayed from the daughter's POV and I was entrenched. I even had goosebumps towards the end! Thank you and again congrats on the win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:18 Dec 24, 2022

Congratulations on the well-deserved win, Kylah. Your story is an interesting twist on people being ostracized for their abilities rather than disabilities and an excellent metaphor on how people can be ostracized for being different. I love how difference prevails in the end.

Reply

Kylah Adams
16:26 Dec 24, 2022

Thank you so much! Being disabled myself it feels a little vindicating to have the main character prevail for her differences rather than despite them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
14:00 Dec 24, 2022

Congrats. Simple language does the work. Fine and hooking work.

Reply

Kylah Adams
16:09 Dec 24, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
17:48 Dec 26, 2022

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
11:39 Dec 24, 2022

Nice story it was easy to visualize the scenes. And a whole story without dialogue, its fascinating that different styles of writing can all be interesting in their own ways. At the end I felt this could be a deep metaphor for being ostracized for some reason and burning bridges and going off on one's own. Hope to see you stories here in the future.

Reply

Kylah Adams
16:08 Dec 24, 2022

I'm so glad the metaphor is coming across, I was trying to avoid being too heavy-handed. I really appreciate the feedback! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chad Eastwood
06:39 Dec 24, 2022

Well done! A really enjoyable read. I want to be a witch now.

Reply

Kylah Adams
16:06 Dec 24, 2022

Thank you! Me too lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
05:49 Dec 24, 2022

Great story. Many congratulations.

Reply

Kylah Adams
16:05 Dec 24, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.