Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson went sledding for the first time in many years.

Submitted into Contest #77 in response to: Write about two people going sledding for the first time in many years.... view prompt

0 comments

Creative Nonfiction African American Friendship

My story is entitled Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson went sledding for the first time in many years.

Sledding is termed as a winter sport typically carried out in a prone or seated position on a vehicle generically known as a sled in North America, Sledge in Britain. When sledding is done or practiced on sand it is known as a form of sand boarding .

Also in Russia Sledges are used for maritime activities including fishing and commuting from island to island on ice.


Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson went sledding for the first time in many years through the old-fashioned wooden sled or the Toboggan without runners. The Sleds were developed in areas with some consistent winter snow cover as vehicles to transport materials or people . The Toboggan sled is a traditional form of transport used by the Innu and Cree of the Northern Canada.

The people of Ancient Egypt were observed to have used sledges on the desert sand and on ramps extensively for Construction.

Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson went through sledding that refers to traveling down a snowy hill using a sled such as a Flexible Flyer with wooden sleds and some means of metal runners. It can be noted that both Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson traveled on snow during the winter. The activity of sledding is known as a fringe recreational activity that is far into the distant murky past.

The black country sled is the more common form of sledding that involves four important elements in combination , a great amount of directional control flotation a binding system and padding. The first black country sleds are made of strong plastic material with the snow side surface possessing various grooves and drives for directional control.


It can be noted that the original runner sleds possessed directional control ,their thin runner blades is bogged down in anything.

The modern back country sled have a binding system which usually consists of a simple belt strap that attaches to the sides of the sled.

The back country sled have foam pads glued for the sledder to kneel on for shock absorption. One of the sled used mostly by Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson is the Mad River Rocket.

The back country sledding is a closer kin to back country alpine skiing or snowboarding than to traditional pile the family in the van. The terrain for back country sledding includes powder filled steeps ,open mountain bowls, cliff filled ridges and basically anywhere that one finds the powder , steeps , rocks and trees.

Whilst traveling on snow with the sledge both Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson do not allow sledding on the Actual mountain at the Alpine resorts. The first ride down a hill on a sled was how Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson traveled on a hill.

It is important and essential to steer the sled along the most exciting course which was undertaken by both Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson . Samuel then steered the sled along the exciting course adding twists and turns to make the run down the hill faster or more exciting. Also running up to a sled and jumping onto it can create additional momentum and improves the ride speed.

Also the technique by which Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson sled for the first time for many years is referred as "Flopping".

There are five types of sleds commonly used today which includes runner sleds , toboggans , disk tubes and back country sleds.


The sleds path through the snow was more icy, when Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson were sledding for the first time on snow. Sleds with a great surface area are able to make the first runs a great deal easier than the variety of sleds.

Samuel Bryant also commented that in 1880 it was Samuel Leeds Allen who first invented the first steerable runner sled, the Flexible Flyer.

It is noted that about thirty thousand children in the U.S. are injured due to activities of sledding. Also with the control of a black country sled, stunts also became possible. Sledding off cliffs and doing tricks off jumps is known as Extreme sledding.

During the sledding of Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson , it can be noted that they outraced other competitors from Germany who were also sledding on snow. There is a course purpose built for the fledging sports. Winter sports are lots of fun ,including sledding . When sledding , zipping down a hill at what feels like a million miles an hour can be a great time especially when sledding safely.


Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson held the handhold that was easy to grab and the seat of the sled should be padded to the snow. Also homemade sleds can make you loose control while sledding . Whiles on the sled Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson wore gloves or mittens and boots while they were on the sled in addition to keep them warm.

Also wear a bike helmet which is a good habit when sledding. Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson sled only in day light in a well-lit area.


When Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson were sledding with a friend , they made sure that they must not go over the weight limit and also look at the label on the sled for the number of pounds it will hold.

Also Samuel Bryant and Janet Jackson always sat up when sledding on snow but not lying down. Also lying flat on sled puts your body at a greater risk for injuries . There is one kind of energy that is right for moving a sled , that happens to be the kid power.


Again both Samuel Bryant and Janet went through these Sledding Safety tips, when sledding on the snow.

a) When sledding thoroughly check your surroundings to make sure the hill is free of collisions risks, such as light posts, trees or rocks.

b) Avoid hill sides that ends near streets , parking lots , ponds and fences .

c) Children should never ride a sled that is being pulled by a motorized vehicle.

d) Choose hills that are snowy rather than icy.


Finally whilst sledding , Samuel and Janet were made to avoid scaves , loose accessories or clothing that can get caught in a sled and pose risks.


January 22, 2021 11:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.