0 comments

Adventure Science Fiction Urban Fantasy

New Core Travels

Sometime in the future.

Antarctica

A modified tunnel boring machine is lowered just outside of the Ross ice Station run by the United States and working with the UN. Dr. Peter Erickson and Dr. Carter Solomon stand by directing the arrival of the modified tunnel boring device by a huge USAF Cargo helicopter.

“Cargo this is Pick-Ax a little more to the left,” replies Dr. Erickson aka Pick-Ax. He wears a. bright purple arctic parka and appears to be a white man covered in arctic gear..

“Pick-Ax this is Cargo having a little problem with the winds so keep everybody alert.”

replies the African American Pilot know as Cargo.

“Understood just keep it steady” Pick-Ax turns to the smaller white man known as Dr. Carter Solomon.”Carter, get ready to do your thing with your gloves.”

“I'm on it.” As the smaller geology-archaeologist raises his Spanish conquistador Gloves and mumbles a few words.

A mound of snow appears beneath the tunnel boring machine. The boring machine slips but is soon caught in the mound of ice and snow like a catcher's mitt from a baseball game. It soon settles in place as a group of military winter camouflage soldiers rushes out to remove the tarp on the boring machine.

“Good job, Carter we really need to come up with a radio name for your skills,” comments Pick-Ax.

“It was close but I am still learning my skills.” Clenching his gantlets to help lower the mound of ice and snow.

“This is cargo heading back to the USAF supply base good play Doc.”

“Understood, we will see you in a few days.”

Carter hobbles over and joins Pick-Ax by the boring machine as one of the soldiers uses a laptop notepad on making sure the boring machine is not damaged by the mound of ice and snow.

“Well, Sue is the boring machine ready for the drive to the center of the earth.”

“Everything checks out, Pick-Ax so we can roll as soon as Kurt and Ana load up with the necessary supplies. Dr. Jinn claims we can hold-steady in the lower earth but it took take months before we get there.”

“The good doctor has modified this tunnel borer into a rocket ship from what I hear. So months could be days,” says Carter

“Still do you think its safe? I mean Jules Verne wrote stories of it but it has yet to be proven.

“That's what they said about the Moon and Mars, But we have gotten to the Moon. So why not travel to the center of the Earth.

“But the statistics are so uncertain.”

“Sounds like you have the jitters Sue but if we don't do it someone else might reach it before us.”

“At least my butt is not on the line, Pick-Ax. If someone else does this crazy stunt.”

“She does have a point, Pick-Ax.” inquires Carson

“Where is your sense of adventure guys?”

“Sense of adventure give me a break Pick-Ax.”

“PLUM WORM! BEGIN BOARDING PROCEDURES.” Orders the PA System.

“PLUM WORM! BEGIN BOARDING!” repeats the PA system

The Plum Worm team begins boarding the tunnel boring machine. “Well, we need to continue this debate on board, Sue.”

Carter and the others are joined by two female soldiers and a male scientist each carrying the necessary supplies needed for the upcoming trip. A small Hindi man joins the party and reviews the computer console before turning back to the team.

“We will be ready to travel shortly, Commander Erickson. I assume the proper supplies have been included in this joint Gray and Earthling operation.”

“Just say the word, Dr. Jeri.”

“Excellent. I will start the controls-s once your team is tucked in.”

Moments later

The tunnel boring device approaches one of the large ice and snow mounds and drills into it and begins to descend the Antarctic mounds. Drilling loudly the team monitors their computer consoles as the large drilling machine bores deeper into the frozen below.

“We are beginning our descent Commander. Traveling at 34 knots per hour. I will begin to increase the knot5s in three...two,,, One descend.”

The tunnel boring machine moves quicker as it increases speed into the frozen below.

Three hours later.

The tunnel boring machine begins to change from a boring machine into a large boring submarine spaceship.” We are now traveling passing the sound barrier, starting to pick up magnetic disruptions but we continue to go lower into the Earth's under surface. Tighten your belts. It is going to get bumpy.”

The tunnel boring machine starts to shake as it passes through the magnetic gravitational pull. “Systems are shaky but stable. Continue to descend. Dr. High-eagle please activate the helium oxygen mix for the time. You all will feel your ears pop. But if we are lucky no signs of the bends will appear. Continuing descent.

Three days later The vessel soon passes the magnetic core and in the distance sits an island sitting alone as a pair of bird-like bats starts an attack on the boring machine. “Hell- bats not friendly beasts. Commander, I advise you to go to orange alert.”

“I understand Dr. Jeri. You heard the doctor go to orange alert people. So how do we stop those things, doctor.”

“ I do not know this is the first time I have seen them. Give me a few minutes. Agent Greer, please activate the sound blaster perhaps that will shoo them away like a scarecrow and crows in a cornfield.” .

The hell-bats begin to bomb the vessel with magma stones inflicting a little damage but nothing life-threatening.. As the magma stones continue to drop on the vessel. A loud pinging sound is released from the vessel confusing the hell-bats The hell-bats back off from the vessel attempting to reorient themselves on the situation.

Getting away from the hell-bats the vessel approaches the mysterious island in the center of the planet. The science team is amazed at seeing the land being there with a mixture of hybrid dinosaurs.

“Well Doctors what would you like to call this place?” questions Dr. Jeri

“I do not even know where to start Dr. Jeri” comments the paleontologist known as Pick-Ax

“This is amazing there appears to be a mammoth rhino and look at those trees.” comments the biologist of the team Sue Madsen. “This place could be a scientist's dream sanctuary, Kurt looks at this.”

The team admires land as Ana Greer adjusts her seat. “Do you think this hidden land could benefit or have Neanderthals, Dr. Jeri?”

“That is why we are here, Commander Erickson could you land this vessel over in that platform. Dr. High-eagle could you please bring out the exploration suits.”

“I will adjust the gears on them, Dr. Jeri. Pick-Ax can you help me out when you are done landing this craft.”

Pick-Ax gives her an okay sign as he and Carter steer the vessel closer to the platform scaring away small hybrid rats-rabbits. The vessel lands like an osprey as the team gets in their modified jimmy suits.

The ramp is lowered as Pick-Ax and Nessa are the first to step out in the new world wearing modified jimmy suits. “Let's try not to pollute this land, Nessa.”

“I will try not since this is like a moon landing and who knows what the atmosphere will do to us or these hybrid animals.”

“Ana,,, this is Pick-Ax monitor the defenses until the rest of our team gets out here...over.

“Understood Commander.”

Pick-Ax and Nessa are joined shortly by Dr, Jeri, and Solomon. “ This is an extraordinary place Dr. Jeri how did you come across it?”

“Just went through some records in the Gray library of the early Gray explorers of your planet. They do recommend a short-term visit here because the magnetic disturbances is hard on our Gray gear.”

“But it is a scientist's dream to see what is down here in the hidden land.”

Ana joins them after reviewing their defense console. “ Atmosphere is a little higher than upstairs but it appears to be like a circle.”

“A circle?”

“Yes, Carson this place is like a bubble world that is what our records are so we should try to be out of here as soon as possible. We have no idea what damage we did to the bubble world.”

“Very well, let us collect some samples and get out of here.” directs Dr. Jeri

“The sample cells are in good shape but we should not try and capture any beasts because we have no idea what our atmosphere will affect their lives.” comments Sue

“Than we do a bone hunt for the beasts. Which could take a while.”

“Work as fast as we can. We can probably stay here at least two days before we do any further damage.” directs Dr. Jeri.

“You heard the doctor gather as much information as you can in two days before we exit out of here,” orders Pick-Ax a former DARPA Covert Operative and the team leader of the crew.

“Fair enough don't go further than 200 yards from the vessel. This place may have other things we are not trained for,” comments Nessa

The team gives a thumbs-up as they begin their scientific collection. In the distance, they hear a loud commotion. Adjusting their modified binoculars in their suit they spot a dusty cloud in the distance. “It looks like something is coming, we better get back inside people.”

On those orders, the team boards their vessel as the dusty cloud gets closer. The ground around them starts to shake hard as the clouds get closer. “Looks like we have a stampede coming. How long do we have before it gets here Dr. Jeri?”

“I'm not sure but I will get the Osprey engine working for us.” On those words, Dr. Jeri starts the engines again and slowly but effectively the vessel rises from the ground just moments before the stampede of mammoth rhinos comes charging below them.

“I wonder what spooked those rhinos?”

“I think we are about to find out over there.”

To be continued...

August 28, 2021 00:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.