32 comments

Urban Fantasy Romance

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

It’s a fact—if you and your lover carve your names into the northern red oak tree behind the gas station on Fifth Avenue, your relationship will last forever. 


Most people don’t think to try. The few who do are mostly driven by either curiosity or superstition. Compared to the curious ones, the superstitious ones are the more dangerous of the two. They flock to the tree with their utility knives and unhealthy attachment styles, desperate to do whatever it takes to make the object of their obsession stay.


Beth sees this happen one summer when she is hiding in its branches. Unlike the slender poplar trees whose brittle branches snap like milk-deprived bones under even the slightest pressure, the northern red oak’s muscular limbs hold Beth up no problem, carrying her seventy-two-pound body like a dad hoisting his child up on his shoulders at an amusement park. 


From this vantage point, Beth sees everything. The plump orange Koi Fish at the pond park down below; the glistening rooftops of cars at the gas station sparkling under the hot July sun; and some kid from school who called her short in second grade hitting another kid with a stick until he falls on the wet grass, clutching his arm.


Beth did not even know she was short until people started pointing it out to her—until a pediatrician in teddy bear scrubs made her stand against a wall like a criminal line-up and diagnosed her as roughly three inches shorter than the average American girl her age. 


When she’s up in the tree, though, she gains roughly six feet. Still, no one can see her. The oak’s big green wig conceals her tiny body from the rest of the world, which includes the couple arguing beneath the tree. She can see only the tops of their heads. The man has dandruff and the woman an uneven hair part. It's clear they are both unhappy in their relationship, and Beth thinks maybe it's because of the dandruff.


At one point, the man pulls out a knife. Beth predicts he’ll stab the woman—or himself—the way she saw in a movie one time, but instead he etches their initials into a patch of rough, flaky tree skin.


Beth’s never actually witnessed anyone carve their name into a tree before—she’s only ever seen the evidence that’s left behind. She thinks nothing of it when she sees it happen firsthand, but as the man draws the last letter, the leaves of the tree begin to rustle, even though there is no wind. Strangely, the tree begins to feel warm against her bare legs, like a cup of tea, and then suddenly hot like a frying pan. She jumps, nearly falling out of the tree, before its temperature returns to normal.


Later that evening, when Beth gets home, she wonders if it was all in her head. She figures it was. She’s been accused of having a wild imagination, after all.


She walks up the stairs to go to bed, but her mother stops her halfway. She asks her to come down to the kitchen, where there's more light, and takes a careful look at her.


“What happened to your legs?”


***


Beth keeps what she saw a secret. She tells absolutely no one, especially not her mother, fearing she'll forbid her from climbing the tree again. 


The tree is her favorite spot in the world, and she refuses to let anyone take it away from her. 


As the years go by, she watches many events unfold beneath the tree—picnics on red checkered blankets and people picking up after their Labradors and German Shepherds, who always bark up at her in the tree.


One day, she even sees the couple she saw arguing under the tree four summers ago, their hands tightly clutching one another, as if held together by superglue, though they do not necessarily seem happy. 


In her mind, the tree—or more precisely, the carving in the tree—is what’s holding this couple together. That’s her theory, at least, and it makes her happy to believe in it, the way some people find peace believing in an afterlife or in that higher love Steve Winwood sings about.


When Beth climbs down from the tree, she runs her fingers over the couple’s etching. S + J. She wonders what the letters stand for and whose initial is whose. Sarah and Joseph. Stanley and Jacqulyn. She actually doesn’t even know if they belong to that couple in particular. There are at least five other couple carvings on the bark, some spelled out and some with years included. Beth begins to worry that she’s not the only one who knows of the tree's secret.


When there is a baby shower in the park two weeks later, Beth hides in the tree and listens carefully to see if anyone says anything about the tree's powers. Two women in puffy jackets are tying blue streamers around the trunk of the tree she hides in, but they say nothing of the tree. All they speak of is how the soon-to-be mother only got pregnant in hopes of keeping her husband around. They laugh at the situation and walk away to tie more streamers to the northern red oak's ordinary brothers and sisters.


As Beth watches the baby shower from the tree, she wishes she could have told the woman it didn’t have to be that complicated. That instead of tying streamers around the tree and getting pregnant, all she had to do was carve their names into its trunk.


But it's a secret Beth's too selfish to share.


***


By the time Beth gets into a relationship with Zephyr eight years later, she has mostly forgotten about the tree. Zephyr consumes most of her thoughts to the point that she barely even thinks about or notices the tree when she walks past it.


She does not completely understand why she’s so consumed with Zephyr. She admits she’s developed a meth-like dependency on him, but even the drug counselors will tell you there’s a difference between dependency and addiction. She has not crossed into addiction yet.


At a concert one night, Zephyr lets her climb on his shoulders because she is too short to see anything otherwise. It makes her think of the time he called her short in second grade. She brings it up as if it's a special memory, shouting it over the music vibrating in her chest. He says he can't hear her, so she says it again, louder this time. He shouts back that he doesn't remember saying that and that she has a wild imagination. He think short girls are cute and always has.


Yet the first time he sees her without pants, he does not seem impressed. “What happened to your legs?” he asks.


She turns around and looks at the back of her legs in the mirror, a red patch spreading across her skin. It makes her think about the tree for the first time in years. “A chemical accident,” she explains. He looks back down at his phone. “Oh.” 


She covers her legs, hurt, and knows better than to ask him what's on his phone screen. She'd rather not know, and even if she did ask, he'd never tell her.


She sits on the closed toilet lid alone in the dark bathroom. She goes on her own phone to look up the difference between dependency and addiction, which leads her to an article on how the part of your brain that makes you fall in love is the same part of your brain that controls hunger and thirst. She finds it strange to think that the same mechanism that makes her crave Cherry Pepsi is the same part that makes her want Zephyr.


She decides there is only one way to make him want her too.


***


The next time he's at the gas station with her, she suggests that they carve their names into that tree over there. She points to it. There are many trees, but he pretends to know which one she's talking about. "Oh yeah."


"Do you want to?"


"I'm alright," he says.


"Why not?"


"I don't know. Just seems like a lot of work. Plus, isn't that kind of mean to cut trees?" He puts the gas pump back. "I mean, how would you feel if someone etched into your skin?"


Beth lifts her shorts to show him her tattoo. "Point taken," he says, but it hurts her how much he's unfazed by her exposed flesh.


That same night, she leaves the house and goes to carve their names into the tree's torso underneath a street lamp. Street lamps, experts say, deter bad people, the way lavender deters mosquitos. She wonders if forging his signature makes her one of these bad people and why orange light buzzing above her does nothing to stop her from carving B + Z into the tree, a mathematical equation that equals nothing.


Two years after Beth carves their initials into the tree, Zephyr is at a loss. "I don't get it," he says. "How did we get here?"


"Get where?" she asks, .


"I mean, how are we still together?"


"Do you not want to be together?"


"No. I just don't know how to end it. Every time I try, I lose my words. It's bizarre."


"Well, just try," she says.


"I am, but I can't." He buries his face in his hands and, strangely, it makes her feel guilty.


"I have a confession," she says. "I carved our names into the tree."


"What tree?"


"The one behind the gas station at the Koi pond."


He pretends he knows which one she's talking about. "Oh yeah."


"And I feel bad for doing that," she says.


He doesn't understand. "Why would you?"


***

For the next two years, Zephyr does not think anything of Beth's tree confession. He goes about his days, perplexed of why he cannot find the words to leave her. He wonders if it's a sign he actually is in love with her, even if he cannot feel it at all.


But after those two years, something in Zephyr breaks. He does not believe in magic, but he's become desperate. He wakes up one morning But then one morning, when he wakes up yet again to the same woman he feels nothing for, he wakes her up. "Take me to the tree," he demands.


***

Beth does not know why he wants to see the tree, but she leads him to it anyway, dutifully, like a murderer leading detectives to a corpse.


"Right there," she says.


He rests his hand on it, on the spot that says B+Z. "This one?"


She looks down at her feet, ashamed. "Yeah."


Later that night, she's woken up by clattering in the garage. She goes down and finds Zephyr with his chainsaw.


"What are you doing?" she asks, half-asleep.


"Nothing. Go back to bed."


"You're cutting down our tree."


"It's not our tree. Please go back to sleep."


He gets in his truck and she follows in her hatchback.


"Go home," he demands as she runs toward him in the field.


"I lied," she says, choking on the cold night air. "It's just a tree. A stupid tree. A normal tree."


He asks her to move aside. He does not want to hurt her, but he already has. "Please move," he pleads. "It’s over." He gently moves her aside, and the chainsaw accelerates, vibrating in her chest like music, only this time she's not on his shoulders. She's down on the wet grass, looking up at him cutting into its trunk. He cuts off the chunk with their name first, then decides to cut down the rest of the tree for good measure. Like Beth, he's become desperate and, without hesitation, lunges the whining saw toward the trunk when Beth jumps in front of it. She puts her arm up, and the chainsaw's teeth cut into it until she falls on the wet grass, clutching her arm.


She screams and Zephyr turns it off. Less than a minute later, they're speeding toward the hospital, Beth's blood soaking into the polyester car seat. With Beth losing consciousness, Zephyr explains to the doctors that she was cutting down a dead tree in their backyard.


"At two in the morning?" asks the doctor.


"Yeah," he says. "It was a bad memory."


The next day, when Beth wakes up, tangled in tubes delivering morphine to her body, she does not want to know if she will live or die. She does not care. "Is the tree okay?" she asks.


"It's damaged, but yeah. It's fine." says Zephyr.


She looks at her arm, then at his face. "I don't even know if hurting the tree does anything. I don't understand the rules completely." She studies his face and asks him what she's scared to know. "Did it work? The chainsaw?"


***

It takes what seems like forever for Beth's arm to heal. She cannot do most things on her own and must learn to use her left hand.


One night at the park, after her arm has nearly recovered, she walks past the tree. Its wig is no longer green and has now turned October red. The dent is still there, but its body is still structurally sound. She's regained the strength to climb it, and though people stare at her, she does not care.


From this vantage point, Beth sees everything. The next generation of plump orange Koi Fish; the glistening rooftops of cars at the gas station sparkling under the cold October moon; some guy who called her short and then made her want to die filling up the tank of a new woman's car.


Beth looks down at her arm, and though it is scarred, it's still good enough to climb with.

December 17, 2022 04:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Liv Chocolate
10:12 Dec 17, 2022

Audio version available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZmq2PB3wbg

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
23:12 Jan 10, 2023

Hi Liv, I really liked this one because it wasn’t a traditionally romantic happy ending. I thought that you do a beautiful job of giving your characters justice. I was also surprised by the way you answered the prompt. A huge part of me wonders about the power of that tree. Nice job!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
21:24 Jan 15, 2023

Thank you, Amanda! You're a pro at the romance genre, so that means a lot coming fm you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
BRUCE MARTIN
06:55 Dec 31, 2022

Great story, Liv. I loved it.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
07:40 Jan 02, 2023

😃 thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
S N
05:10 Dec 24, 2022

I savored this story over the course of two days. Slowly. Enjoyable read. Believable too.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
09:00 Dec 24, 2022

Sasha, thank you!! 💜💜💜 believable plots are my greatest weakness so that’s a meaningful compliment

Reply

S N
14:08 Dec 24, 2022

I once had a guy, with full sincerity, tell me that every time they walked down streets at night, the lamppost when out. He said that we all have something unexplainable that just happens with, around, or because of us and this gal's story with the tree lives in that same world of possibility to me. I think you did great!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
08:33 Dec 25, 2022

😲 I think you have a story concept right there w that one

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
09:36 Dec 22, 2022

Yummy.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
09:51 Dec 22, 2022

Genuinely love your mysteriously short comments 😂 Chainsaw blood, which I’m assuming you’re referring to, is very yummy 🧛‍♀️

Reply

Tommy Goround
09:58 Dec 22, 2022

Did you want it... Longer?

Reply

Liv Chocolate
10:02 Dec 22, 2022

Only if your comment includes some elaboration on why you like grapes on pizza?! 🍕 🍇 no judgment at all but I think the people of Reedsy need to know. Is grape pizza the secret to breaking shortlist history w a double win in one week, bc if so, I’m putting grapes on my pizza next week.

Reply

Tommy Goround
07:10 Dec 23, 2022

Text your manling: buy pizza skin. Lower the lights and have a sleep mask, blue cheese and Tokay grapes halves (or other sweet variety) ready. Put the mask on the House guest, fire everything else at 400° for 15 minutes. Have him taste that Lodi Pizza in the dark and let me know what happens.

Reply

Tommy Goround
07:12 Dec 23, 2022

Clothing is optional for cook but, technically, hot grapes can literally become plasma. That is the stuff that cuts concrete. Maybe put the grapes AFTER melting the blue cheese in any white sauce you want to go with it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
21:15 Dec 20, 2022

Beautiful story Liv! Beth was a great character, loving, superstitious and desperate. It was interesting how it felt kind of like a mystery/character story until the horror-esque climax in the dark!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
03:34 Dec 22, 2022

Edward, thank you for reading and taking the time to comment! Superstitious desperation was exactly the type of energy I was going for

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
20:05 Dec 20, 2022

This is so well done, Liv - it has so many layers and elements to it: fantasy, horror, romance, coming of age, cautionary. The healing process for trees is very similar to people. Both tend to be stronger, depending on the damage, because scar tissue is like that. Beth climbing the tree once again at the conclusion, to me, puts her back on top, hopefully wise enough to listen to her own advice next time. Some things just shouldn't be forced. Excellent.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
03:32 Dec 22, 2022

Susan, thank you so much! That's a smart point about the's tree's healing process--funny side story: after writing this story, I had my boyfriend put his knife into a tree to fact-check one of my descriptions about sap coming out. Sap didn't come out, so I had to begrudgingly trash that part. And OMG - I honestly didn't think about the "back on top" symbolism. That totally makes it work. Definitely :') better to let things be. Hence the mantra I adopted in my mid-twenties: If you want to leave me, then BYE.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:34 Dec 20, 2022

Wow, that was really intense. I love this so much. Awesome story :’)

Reply

Liv Chocolate
03:27 Dec 22, 2022

Thank you very much Wafflez!! 😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:30 Dec 20, 2022

It’s a fact—Liv etched a story that will live in our minds forever. Seconding what Zack said here about the opening. And this is an overall amazingly good story, I like everything about it. The symbol of the tree as something that bonds people together really works. Could the tree symbolize marriage? And Beth's yearning to hold onto Zephyr really came through strongly. At the end Beth and the tree both carry on but carry scars, it feels deeply meaningful. Great work!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
03:26 Dec 22, 2022

:D Thank you, this comment made my night, Scott! Especially coming from a two-time winner! And in the form of a clever homage to the opening line 😮 Thank you again for your comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
08:55 Dec 19, 2022

This is one of those rare opening lines that you see scrolling through the stories of the week that just makes you immediately click on the story. Truly, hats off to that banger of a beginning. One of the best openers I've seen on here, in no small part because of that "It's a fact" declaration. Something about the inclusion of that really sold the whole Urban Fantasy/Urban Legend vibe here. It's a nice use of the prompt, for sure. I like that the hiding place isn't one of the obvious ones you'd expect (e.g. around a corner, behind a bush, ...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
04:04 Dec 20, 2022

These are my favorite types of comments! Thank you so much, Zack Always makes me happy when small details like the parallel between the scars and the beginning and ending are called out. I honestly never even thought about how bookends work to show character development, but you're completely right. I just thought they were a device for tying the story together--now that you mention it, I'm definitely going to give all my stories bookends. *Oprah meme* You get a bookend, you get a bookend, and you get a bookend 😂 The idea was actually in...

Reply

Zack Powell
05:27 Dec 20, 2022

These comments are a lot of fun to write to help myself explore why a story works (or doesn't - but don't worry, yours totally does!), so it's nice to know they're appreciated by the receiver too. The bookend really works here because its usage feels earned. As a former (read: recovering) bookend abuser, I can tell you from experience that not every usage falls into that category. 😅 Definitely one of those cases where you have to pick and choose your battles. But I think this story spanned enough time and had Beth grow enough to warrant its...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:39 Dec 19, 2022

This is a romance for Beth, but a horror story for Zach, chainsaw, blood and all!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
04:27 Dec 20, 2022

Thank you Marty!!! Was debating whether to tag this as horror

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E.L. Montague
00:08 Dec 19, 2022

Since you went to all that trouble, I listened to the audio version on YouTube. Good read. I would be interested in reading/hearing a story that stayed with Beth when she first learned about the magic.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
02:03 Dec 19, 2022

Thanks for listening, E.L.! It wasn't too much work to convert to audio. If you're interested in making audio files too, I'd recommend voicemaker.com. You just copy and paste your text, choose a voice, and then download it. Then I just stick it on iMovie and add an image. Appreciate your comment and will check out your work too

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
15:50 Dec 18, 2022

Liv, this was fantastic! I love your writing - your original ideas are so engaging, and your turns of phrase are delightful. I particularly got a kick out of "They flock to the tree with their utility knives and unhealthy attachment styles" lol. :) Sheer perfection. Thanks for another great story!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
18:44 Dec 18, 2022

Thank you so much, Wendy! And I saw that typo 😫 it’s been driving me absolutely insane!!! I’ll just try to play it off as artistic liberties 😂 Thank you so much for your thorough read. I enjoy your stories as well as you know!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.