2 comments

Friendship Romance Fiction

‘We have found that connecting the generations through storytelling has huge benefits to both old and young. Take a look at our website silverstories.co.uk to learn more how to get involved.’


‘That was Dame Esther Rantzen, DBE and Trustee of the Silver Stories charity speaking about the success of the charity especially during lockdown…over to Sally for a travel update…’


Sarah loved listening to her favourite radio presenter every morning. Her joyous tones and naughty innuendo were a light relief to the drudge of everyday life. The recent feature about connecting the old and young had really hit home. Juggling family, friends, her career and business had certainly been taking a toll on Sarah and when she did have a moment to herself she spent it wondering what life was all about if not to do something meaningful.


Sarah felt her life couldn’t be more different to Rachel’s, the heroine in her latest read from Grace Reynolds. How was Rachel able to juggle life as a surgeon, a family life with three children and a hot husband? How Grace was able to create these beautiful villages in a part of America Sarah longed to travel to, with such steamy relationships, was beyond her. Sarah thought that one day, when she wasn't bogged down with her mundane life: rushing to get her son to school, checking he’d completed his homework and then travelling the longer than usual journey to the school where Freddie, her 6-year-old had managed to secure a scholarship, she would have time to craft her masterpiece.


But for now, as she rushed out the door, gym clothes on, no make-up on, she called to her husband Tim to say they were off, but he was still tucked in bed and completely unaware of her load.


Thinking more about the radio broadcast and how she longed to still speak to her grandmothers who had both passed on in recent years, she said to Freddie who was completed glued to his screen:


‘Freddie darling, how would you feel if we were to call an elderly lady or gentleman one morning and read them one of your favourite stories? Freddie muttered ‘Mummy I’m trying to watch Paw Patrol’.


Sarah sighed and thought she may investigate later that day.


Meanwhile in Honeysuckle residential home some 90 miles away from Sarah…


'na na na na na na…’


That whiney drone meant the start of the stimulating activities for the day…a repeat of yet another soap opera. With that, Margaret determinedly grabbed her stick, hoisted her frail frame up and made her way to her room…at least Ms. Christie would provide her with a bit of stimulation. Margaret had to tell herself she still had her wit and faculties and was determined not to get sucked into a life of sleep and TV. How depressing. She knew she had an hour or two before Mae, the care home manager, came in to check in on her before lunch.


Honestly, she felt as if she was doing a stint in Holloway but without the thrill of murdering one of her inmates. When she’d first moved to Honeysuckle with her beloved husband Ted, the thought of leaving their lovely home had been devastating but at least they were together. After a bout of flu last February, Ted has not been well and was taken that evening to the local hospital. The wonderful manager of the home Mae has stayed by her side and advised that she not go into hospital for fear of infection and so the two of them waited by the phone anxiously. Exhausted, she drifted off into the night and woke to a piteous expression from Mae. She knew he had gone and with that, over 50 years spent at each other’s side disappeared. She suddenly felt very nauseous and headed to her ensuite bathroom. What on earth was she going to do now? Their family lived in the livelier parts of the UK, closer to London which was understandable as they had their careers.


She asked Mae if she could be alone and with that headed back to bed, pulled the duvet over her head and sobbed uncontrollably. It felt like years had passed but that was just the feeling of grief wrapping itself around her. The weeks since Ted had gone passed in a daze. She tried to keep alive some of the intimate moments they had shared over the years. She struggled to remember their first kiss and their first time. When she kissed him, she felt as if their lips were made for each other, and she loved the way he looked almost lost in a room until their eyes were fixed on each other. She could always see the way his shoulders relaxed as they got nearer and knew that all would be fine as long as they were together. She had no idea what the future now looked like and with that a huge wave of loneliness hit and she started sobbing again.


A light tap on the door. It was Mae. 'Margaret, I’m so sorry to interrupt you my dear but I’ve had a phone call from a lovely young mum called Sarah and her 6 yr old son. Do you remember you signed up to the silver stories programme with Ted? Anyway, Sarah was keen to speak to you, but I've explained the situation and she can call again. '


'Yes, I think that may be for the best, I’m not much fun…'


Sarah had hung up the phone after speaking to Mae. ‘Oh, that's so sad’. 'What's up my love? Tim asked as he came through the door. 'The charity I mentioned to you the other night. I actually followed up today with the lady they connected me to….well, it's just so sad, her husband of over 50 years passed a few weeks ago. I feel so desperately sorry for her. '


A day later, Sarah couldn’t stop thinking about Margaret and how isolated she may feel, so she called Honesuckle care home again and asked to speak to Margaret. She felt quite uplifted when Mae picked up the phone and was pleased to hear her voice ‘actually she's feeling a bit brighter today and has just stepped out into the garden. I'll call her in, and we’ll call you back shortly.'


Sarah felt positively uplifted. As Mae dialed the number and passed the phone to Margaret, she hesitated before saying ‘hello my dear….

Sarah was overwhelmed by the warmth of her voice. 'Hello Margaret, its Sarah. Of course, you know that.... silly me. I was given your number by silver stories and wondered if you would like my son and I to read to you. Mae passed on your very sad news and I'm so sorry.'


'It's ok my dear…it’s the price we pay for love…'


Sarah choked slightly and then said 'ok shall we begin then. Freddie has brought one of his Peter Rabbit stories if ok…'


Of course, …halfway through the call Freddie started to fidget so Sarah sent him off for a snack and she attempted to fill the silence.


'What books do you like reading Margaret?


'Well, I am proan to a good murder, so I enjoy anything by Agatha christie…I think its living here…I want to murder most of the residents. That was a joke my dear, they’re very kind but my real passion has always been Romance.


With that Sarah felt she had met a kindred spirit. Oh, I do love romance. Is there anyone in particular you enjoy?


Well, my dear…Nora Roberts, Danielle Steele, Kristin Hannah and well I know Grace Roberts very well.


Sarah couldn’t believe it; she had read all of Grace Roberts novels and loved the amazing communities she had built and gorgeous relationships and friendships. How do you know Grace, Sarah cautiously asked?


Well, my dear, I am Grace Roberts….

August 17, 2023 20:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

John Rutherford
06:23 Oct 08, 2023

I like the style. I like the way you lead the storytelling with the likes and dislikes of the characters, without overdoing it. At the same time hide the punchline to the end.

Reply

Rebecca Detti
16:45 Oct 08, 2023

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and feedback! It’s truly appreciated! Once I started this one I realised that a big reveal at the end would work well. I’m glad you enjoyed and look forward to reading your stories! Thanks again John!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.