1 comment

General

I came upon this girl's Tik Tok video of her dancing. Everything was normal, until I saw it. It was the monster that haunted me as a kid. I knew that no one else could see it so I didn't bother to check the comments. I had to warn her of the danger she is in. This girl had millions of followers, I knew she would be dead before reading my message.

It was getting closer in each video.

A monster only visible through film. I only managed to escape by constantly running from it, and drawing protection symbols on my front door. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, I just didn't want to die. Now she would be soon.

I knew I wouldn't make it in time. I left hundreds of messages and emails, none of which were opened. I don't know how to help this girl. I can't get a hold of her, even the comment section of her posts think I'm a crazy guy. At this point I'm watching the news all day, waiting for her body to be found by the side of a river.


It's been a year since her body was found, just where I thought it would be. A police investigation was going on, I apparently am a suspect. Detectives went through the comments of her posts, messages on social media, and emails. Most of which I left. Police don't believe my story of constantly hiding and running from it. I tried showing them proof but they were never chosen, I was and she was too. I was useless. With the information I already had, I could only prove that this thing was a big deal in the 1800's. By then it was just a myth.

I had to find a way to kill it.


The only way to be a target was to watch the cursed tape. I found it in the basement of my house when I was just eight years old. It was very disturbing, and ever since then, it was always behind me, and it always seemed to be getting closer each time I saw it. I threw the tape in the ocean when I was sixteen, somehow she found it, and watched it, and now she's dead.


Police declared it a murder as she was burned to death, along with multiple stab wounds. I knew the truth, she was lead to the river and stabbed by it's long claws, then burned alive. That was it's way of killing it's victims.


In one video, the last one she ever posted, people spotted it. They saw it in the reflection of a mirror behind her. The video was taken down shortly after her death. It was the only proof I had, but with it not on the internet anymore, my chances of leaving without being handcuffed were low. It would find me there, then soon kill me. I had to escape.


I knew one way to harm it. Splash it with holy water. To kill it you need a much more powerful weapon. John's Bow. John was a famous demon hunter back in the early 1800's. He used a bow and arrow to kill the demons. That bow was in a museum. How the hell would I get that?


The thing is, I didn't need it, I just needed the poison on the tip of the arrow. The poison my great great great grandfather new how to get. I knew where to get some because he kept a journal of everything that happened in his life. So I made my own bow and erased the protection symbol on my door, to welcome it in.

The fight begins.


My lights started flickering, it was 3:30 in the morning. I couldn't let myself sleep, I wouldn't be able to wake up if I did. The lights only flickered for about 20 minutes when they went out. It was here. I grabbed my arrows and bow and searched every room. In the corner of every room, there was a mirror, the only way to see it was through reflections. I entered my bedroom, when I saw it. Standing at the doorway behind me. Always behind me.


I had to get out of there. I ran all the way to the river, where the only reflection was the water. So there it was. Standing behind me with a knife, and when I turned around I saw it. God it was even more scary in front of me. I aim my bow and shot. In one blink it was gone. I thought I killed it, then I felt a sharp pain in my side. I was stabbed, and the damn thing was right next to me. I shot multiple times but the pain kept me from getting a clear shot. I only had one arrow remaining, and I was bleeding to death. I gave up. I let the darkness surround me. It was so peaceful, so quiet. I felt relieved to be there, but I knew I wasn't dead, I was just taking a break. I woke up to it towering over me with it's knives.

I knew I wasn't going to make it.


Before it could jab it's knives into my chest, it whispered something so quiet I could barely hear it yet I could still make out what it was saying.

" I can stop your suffering, I can bring you peace. I can kill you, if not, the ones you love will be dead before the sun rises. Give yourself up willingly, or you lose. "

I couldn't listen to it's taunts anymore. I quickly kicked it to the ground and aimed my bow between it's eyes, in a second I let go of the arrow and it screamed in pain as it melted into a pile of black slime. It's whisper lingered in the air.

" I'll be back "

I collapsed right after. Everything was black. I woke up in a hospital bed, my side hurting like hell, and the girl who went viral and whose body was found dead, at my bedside. She told me she was kept in a dark room for what felt like so long. The thing torturing her with lies. When I killed it, hundreds of people were found, even people who went missing nearly a hundred years ago.

I finally ended it, or so I thought.


I was living without fear, I could sleep peacefully for the first time in nearly 20 years. Then I caught a glimpse of it in the corner of my eye. My brain tried to register it but I convinced myself it was just a mind trick. Then I got a text from the girl I saw on Tik Tok, saying the thing is back. Then my sister called, she was crying

" Mom and Dad were murdered. "

M heart dropped, I asked were their bodies were found.

" By the side of a river, burnt so badly. "

It's back, and it killed my parents. So I didn't kill it. I failed. If my body is found burnt by the side of a river, to anyone who reads this and is in Arizona, find the tape, watch it, and kill the damn demon. The proper way that I don't know what it is. I'm so sorry.


April 24, 2020 07:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tammy Tsang
06:07 Apr 30, 2020

Nice story. It had me wondering what would happen. You had good tension throughout! The main suggestion I have is to make sure to reread of your story before submitting (or after submitting and edit it before it's too late). If you have already reread it, do it a couple times and/or ask a friend to give it a read with fresh eyes. This will help catch grammar and typo errors. There are a number of basic typos that could have been caught: "new" instead of "knew", "M" instead of "My", and "where" instead of "were". For grammar, the story ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.