0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Contemporary

Gnadig was about 40 and had been in service with billionaire JV since the past 20 years. He had been brought up to be honest and truthful and avoid moral pitfalls. JV while interviewing him had appreciated his bent of mind. Nevertheless Gnadig had to vastly deviate from his code:

His boss was used to giving and taking bribes. Gnadig was initiated into it. JV would say “We’ve to remove obstacles from our path and the smoothest way is by paying bribes. Remember life itself is an obstacle race.” Gnadig was trained to handle the giving and taking of bribes.

A bribe has been paid and a person is threatening to expose you. JV says “Gnadig arrange with the contract killer.” The blackmailer is killed and death is attributed to suicide. Gnadig has arranged it.

An important contract has to be signed with a foreign firm. A representative has come and is camped. There is a dispute and the rep is unwilling to concede a minor point. JV says “Gnadig the rep is a divorcee. He would wish for female company. Get Sheba from the Courtesy Escort Service to move in. She is a good persuader.” Gnadig does that and the contract is signed.

JV decided to enter the slum clearance and reconstruction business. There are some dwellers who refuse to shift as they are long settled. Gnadig arranges to compensate them with money if they move and they are gone. Some others won’t part with their title deeds. Gnadig has means of getting forged papers and the project proceeds.

Gnadig one day felt very bad as he had been doing wrong things. He asked himself “I’ve made enough money in my job under JV. Should I continue? In the last so many years of service I haven’t taken leave except briefly when I was unwell. And I have never been on a real vacation. Why not take a break? I know JV won’t agree to give me leave even for a week and he may ask the reason for it. I must be prepared.”

When Gnadig asked JV for leave he said “Gnadig I’ve promised you an all-expenses paid round the world trip or even cruise when you retire. Why do you want leave now?”

“I want to relax in the national park rest house a while for a change.”

JV laughed and said “So you need beastly company. Okay. But remember if I need you for anything at all during your leave I’ll call you back.”

That morning, Gnadig wearing a leather waist coat over red corduroy pants set off in his jeep. He looked at himself in the rear view mirror. He had his cap on as he was ashamed to reveal that his hair was thinning. He recalled the purchase of the cap: He had then been to Bangla Desh and had seen a magic cap advertised. He had asked the dealer about the magic and was told “I had just added it for fun. In our tradition a magic cap makes one invisible.” Gnadig had bought the cap and the dealer had said “You look so handsome that even Bilkiz could be attracted towards you. ”

Gnadig had smiled. The dealer had said “Bilkiz is a trained belly dancer from Turkey. Her movements will give you great pleasure.”

Gnadig had said “I’m leaving this evening for India. I’ll ask about Bilkiz another time.”

Again he had taken the line from JV: “Never reject any offer. Say will consider another time!”

Gnadig drove on and reached the park where there was an elaborate security check. The chief security officer said “Drug smugglers came in and created problems. So we are extra careful. But thefts rarely happen. Hollywood superstar Ziggi Sebastian had lost her diamond brooch while she was holidaying here but we felt one of her retinue should’ve lifted it.”

Gnadig then went to the rest house and checked in. The room was comfortable. It was now past 6 in the evening. He sat browsing through a coffee table book on the park and saw pictures of the animals which would appear on safari. He had an early dinner and went to bed but couldn’t sleep. About 10 in the night, carrying his battery operated torch he stepped out for a walk. Seeing a wicket gate he opened it and walked into the park.

Suddenly he heard a soft female voice ask “Who are you?”

He said “First you tell me who you are.”

She said “I’m Lilith. You must know me.”

He said laughing “I know no Lilith.”

“I was Adam’s first wife and left him as he was no good in bed.”

He said “I don’t understand. This is the 21st century and Adam lived so long ago.”

“But I’m eternal and now am taking a walk in the park. Tell me why you’re here.”

“I’m going to review my life so far in which I’ve done many wrong things. And I’m trying to subdue some of the darker impulses which frequently overwhelm me.”

“You can’t undo the past. Don’t waste time thinking about it. And it’s wrong to suppress natural feelings. After leaving Adam I met Samael. I should say I saw him sleeping au natural. Looking at him I knew he had suppressed feelings. The succubus triumphs in his dream and the upshot went high, was ample, and was a waste. I woke him up and told him how his energy could be used more usefully with me as Adam had taught me.”

He said “It was the serpent not Adam.”

“What does a stupid serpent know about the mechanics between man and woman? Anyway Samael is very happy with me and so am I with him.” She laughed and added ”I do what I want. I don’t bother about sin. If you call it sin I’ll sin more!”

After a few moments she prompted “Why have you become silent?”

Gnadig said “The enormity of my wrong doings due to which I know I’m considered a monster, disturbs me. I’ve come here to meditate and redeem myself.”

“As I had said you can’t undo the past. Resolve to do good hereafter. To hell with sin and redemption! Will you feel active if you see me after I’ve dropped this robe?”

“Sure I will. I’ve never been married.”

“Come with me.”

He felt she could see in the dark. She led him to a tree under which was a spread of leaves.

She said “Now I’ve dropped the robe. You can feel me bare.”

He whispered “Yes.”

She said “Now that you've come I’m going to suck you dry. Your regrets will end. Redemption is guaranteed.”

She had turned a demon to suck his blood!

The next morning Gnadig’s body was found in the park under a tree on a bed of leaves. Autopsy was conducted when two fang marks were found on the neck. Cause of death was attack by some unknown beast. 

END


September 13, 2023 03:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.