Couch-Deep Roots

Submitted into Contest #197 in response to: Write a story that includes the phrase “I’m free!”... view prompt

6 comments

Contemporary Sad Fiction

Rich people always seem to think the best kind of couches are the leather ones with those knobby tufts, or the ones with electric recliners in every seat and cupholders and cell phone chargers in between; the ones with the contoured seats that make you feel like you’re getting ready to launch into space or something.

But they’re wrong.

I can tell you right now, the best kind of couch is one with a deep seat and two long cushions, none of that three cushion business. Two long cushions, at least 80 inches total, and a high back. Nothing ruins a couch like a low back, or you know those back cushions that stay attached? Those are the worst. You’ll never find a harder couch to put a fitted sheet on. And believe me, I know a thing or two about putting a fitted sheet on a couch.

Most people who meet me might describe me as a nomad and I guess I can live with that term if I have to, but it’s always made it sound more like this is a choice when… I’m not really sure it is. Sure, I choose where I go next, I choose to up and move when things get rough, but… doesn’t everybody?

Maybe not. Maybe this life is not as typical as I feel like it is. Maybe it’s not normal to have to list twelve different addresses in the last seven years when you’re filling out paperwork for a background check, and those didn’t include the basement or the farm or the single month stays. Maybe it’s not normal to have a place you lived at for two months as the address on your driver’s license. Maybe it’s not normal to you, but it’s normal to me.

At least… I thought it was. I thought I had gotten used to this. I thought I understood what it was to constantly be surrounded by change; to constantly be on the lookout for cheaper rent, for distant relations with spare rooms, for friends with 80 inch, two-cushion, deep-seat couches. I thought… I thought this was freedom.

I have nothing to tie me down. I work the jobs that get me through; the jobs that teach you good and well what type of person you want to be, and it’s whatever those customers are not. I’ve got a car with about 75k miles more on it than normal and a tow hitch I installed myself. I never grow roots deeper than friends with couches. I move enough that I don’t even have to ask for boxes anymore; everything I own is in plastic bins.

Now let me tell you something about plastic bins. Everybody seems to think those big, heavy-duty ones are the way to go, but I’m here to say that if all you are getting are the big, heavy-duty ones, you’re going to hit a lot more trouble when you have to TETRIS those things into the back of your car and the smallest U-HAUL trailer available. Besides, you don’t want a giant bin of books to lug around; do you know how heavy books are? They’re right about the heavy duty, though. Don’t skimp out on your plastic or it’ll skimp out on you.

Yeah.

Yeah, that’s what I always say.

Not to anybody in particular, mostly just to myself. It’s the type of thing I would say in a podcast if I ever did one of those. I’ve thought about it, definitely, and I’ve even had friends tell me we should start one together, but… well, the thing about couch-deep roots is that they hardly ever last long enough for a podcast.

That’s another thing about couches. Everybody has one. Everybody needs someplace to sit; everybody has a couch. And when the couch breaks or wears out, you get a new one. You take off the legs to get it through the door and, even though it’s probably a bit uncomfortable and it takes a bit of doing, you get it out eventually and a new one goes in.

And the old one is taken to the curb.

Not in a resentful sort of way, necessarily; not with malice. Most people will flop down one final time, pat the couch on the back, thank it for its work, and then go back in to enjoy the new one. Every once in a while, they’ll think of the old couch and how it had that one spring sticking out that would catch your pants if you shifted the middle cushion just wrong, or the three missing tufted buttons, or the busted arm that sort of hung off a bit wonky. But once it’s gone, it’s gone. Who knows where it went after it disappeared from the curb? We think about it sometimes, but it’s not like anybody is going out of their way to track it down, even if they see its posts on Facebook and have its phone number.

Well, that’s couch-deep roots for you.

It’s alright though, everybody loves a new couch, and once you show up somewhere else, it’s like you were never on the curb to begin with.

And it repeats.

And I thought that was freedom… but the longer it goes, the more I catch myself wondering… if I’ve only trapped myself in some cyclical sequence. Because no matter where I go; no matter who I meet or how easy it is to get the fitted sheet to fit the couch, I end my days restless and wanting. I tell myself I want to travel; I want to leave again; I want to disappear. But is that the whole truth? Is there more to this wanting? Maybe what I want is something more than couch-deep roots. Maybe if I just stayed in one place for a while… learned last names, met a neighbor, chose a dentist… maybe then, I wouldn’t want to leave.

Maybe loneliness sometimes wears a mask that looks like freedom.

But maybe someday, I’ll be the one with the couch. 80 inches at least, no more than two cushions, deep seat, of course. Maybe then, the loneliness will subside; maybe then the restlessness will ease. Maybe then I’ll wake up one day on an actual bed with a fitted sheet and maybe then I will earnestly say…

I’m free.

May 06, 2023 07:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Michał Przywara
20:59 May 15, 2023

The intro is gripping. Not because it's high action or dramatic, but because we have an opinionated narrator asserting that rich people couch wrong - I found I had to read on to learn more :) The theme this story addresses is one I'm fond of pondering. Freedom. When we look at people who are not free, we can easily say that freedom is objectively good. But is there such a thing as too much freedom? Our narrator seems to have come to that realization. Total freedom means superficial connections at best, and so we conclude that some constrai...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Molly Sickle
13:40 May 15, 2023

Wow. I love the parallels between the main character and the couch. This story took me on a journey and has left me with a lot to ponder on. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wally Schmidt
23:36 May 13, 2023

Hey Elizabeth-welcome to Reedsy! I really loved this first story you put out to the world. I can relate to the proposition of being either a couch owner or free, but now that I am older, I am happy-to-report that I am both. A three cushioner, though, but definitely agree about the necessity of a high back. I hope others find your story and read it. Make sure you read other people's stories and comment on them so that they can find you. When I first joined Reedsy in November, I didn't know that was how people found your work, but it works pr...

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Sweet
13:56 May 13, 2023

I enjoyed this story very much. I actually have a couch that I miss. It was the first couch I ever bought on my own. The most comfortable couch I ever owned, and I still have probably slept as many hours on a couch, or more, than I have in a bed. As many short stories do, this seems like a piece in a puzzle of a much longer narrative. Don't give up on writing. Don't put yourself down if you don't have a degree in English or creative writing. My love of writing came to me long before my degree. A degree is a piece of paper. Hone your craft, ...

Reply

16:31 May 13, 2023

Thank you so much for your comment. I’m glad to hear some couches get remembered as fondly as yours :)) I forgot what I had written in my bio and was so confused at first at how you so perfectly addressed my feelings of inadequacy! Thank you for your encouragement; I certainly hope to never lose my love of the words on the page :))

Reply

David Sweet
17:52 May 13, 2023

We are always our own, worst critics. Write what you think is true for you, find an editor you really trust to be honest with you (sometimes brutally), but who will also build you up on all the good things. Most stories are good at their heart. They will find an audience. The audience may be small or niche, but there is ALWAYS an audience. Best of luck in all you do. Keep writing; you won't regret it. I stopped when I was in college, and I have just now, in retirement, picked it up again. I have many years of regret. You will improve with e...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.